Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (15)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: learning morse and typing at the same time

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-06-27 18:24
Im learning morse on LCWO and touch typing at the same time following a programme called Zoom Type. Ive just worked out that by using LWCO code groups , I can input the typing course letter progression and so learn two skills at the same time .... outstanding. Zoom Type on u tube

Posted: 2021-06-29 02:49
Generally NOT considered a good idea.

I'm sure the experts will chime in, but basically what will happen is you will develop an ear-to-finger reaction. You will not learn to hear the code and understand it, which means after typing you will have to reread what you typed; this will also hamper progressing to head copy of words and phrases. And as pointed out before, by others, you may end up always needing a keyboard which is limiting for mobile, portable, even possible emergency qrp where power is limited.

Lots of opinions out there, but some cuase irreversible habits.

Seek other input

wa2nfn

Posted: 2021-06-30 02:27
SOMEBODY PLEASE, Outline the best “head copy” learning method.

Posted: 2021-06-30 04:59
Best ? Well I don't know if that will ever be answered. Best is what works best for you. But head copy is near instant recognition of sounds; first you must know each character instantly. G4FON recommends using a char speed that you hope to use (he recommends no less than 20wpm) and then a word speed of about 12 wpm, then play code groups and verbally call out each char as it is played (I found more than 20/15 very hard to vocalize fast enough) any way if your confident with the characters or at least enough to make words or qsignals or some cw abbreviations; then you can make a file of SHORT strings 2-3 characters, and only a handful or different ones maybe 10, like: it is he and the qrs .....
Play the file with "Convert text to CW" using normal speed ie 15/15, 20/20 NOT Farnsworth. If its too fast use the CW setting page and increase the Extra Word Spacing 2, 2.5 whatever you need so you get to "hear" your words like "the" as a new sound instead of "T" "H" "E" eventually you can decrease the extra word spacing and/or add another word of two to your file. Each person is different, some will buffer up the characters and then voila' the word comes to them (everyone needs this for words they don't know) but other will quickly build a "vocabulary" of word sounds.

I am still learning this myself - but I have used this approach, as well as just listening to word files while walking the dog, etc. So although I still make too many mistakes in the 20+ wpm, I can listen to 35-40wpm and although a lot flys by, many short words like: and the must more - just pop out as clear as hearing my name.

If someone gives you a fool proof method please post it!!!!

There are tools to help make random sorted word/string files instead of typing them.

Good Luck
WA2NFN

Posted: 2021-07-02 06:32
As someone who is trying to unlearn the ear to finger reaction... I can confirm. If you ever want to learn higher speeds (~20 onwards), then head-copy is the only way to go.

Currently I can type a who QSO and have NO idea what I copied till I read it back. Weird... yes.

Google G4FON for addional info (see his video) and software to go with it.

Posted: 2021-07-02 22:02
John53:
SOMEBODY PLEASE, Outline the best “head copy” learning method.

Really only by doing it.

If you are used to typing/writing down then having to remember decoded letters whilst decoding others can be a challenge at first.

Try making some mp3 files and listen on your phone and see how many letters etc you can keep in your head and build into words.
Don't be afraid to repeat a number of times.
The top 100 words should get you started . .

The next "trap" is when you think you know what a work will be ( predicting ), but it turns out to be a similar one instead and throws you . . .

cb

Posted: 2021-07-19 17:15
i do find that this works for me, my typing has improved a great deal and I can get thru the lessons with more accuracy. I understand the arguments about relating sounds to finger movements and fully get the head copy thing. Im new to morse and I have found that typing the sounds acts to reinforce my learning. I guess that its whatever floats your boat. BTW typing this without looking at the keyboard was a breeze and was something else I could not a while back

Posted: 2021-07-27 12:10
I am also one of those CW -> Keyboard learners...but now on my way out of it, and trying to head copy instead of writing on keyboard.

An advice;
For Instant Character Recognition, there is separate module in CW Ops training courses for this, the "Basic" class. All the papers to the course is public, and can be found here:
https://cwops.org/prep-practice-files/

There is a good article there about ICR:
"Instant Recognition A Better Method Of Building Morse Code Speed" by Nancy Kott / WZ8C, that I recommend reading.

Also, the instruction is good to see what method CW Ops use:
"Practice Instructions and Homework Assignments (Curriculum) v-2.2"

(I will do this module in Sept/Oct this year, but I have read the above mentioned allready).

A second advice:
Download Morse Code Ninja training files to your cell phone, and listen while talking a walk or driving in your car. That has helped me a lot.

I started learning CW with LCWO in January 2021, and then took CW OPS Beginner class in April/May, and have now many QSO's mainly on the QRS frequencies (e.g. 14.055 MHz).

Good luck!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.