Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (8)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Word training question

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-05-05 00:16
When doing word training, is it better to listen to the whole word and then type it or to type while you are hearing the letters? It seems easier to me to listen to the whole word and type it. But I wonder if I am missing learning the skill of typing while hearing CW. Maybe both methods should be worked on.

Posted: 2021-06-16 09:52
When I started copying actual QSOs I used to copy letter by letter, but now I am able to do 'mind copy' of very commonly used words. Especially words like CALL, BRITE ES SUNNY, RAINY etc & the Q Codes and some very commonly heard first names.

Posted: 2021-06-16 13:28
doxiepal:
When doing word training, is it better to listen to the whole word and then type it or to type while you are hearing the letters? It seems easier to me to listen to the whole word and type it. But I wonder if I am missing learning the skill of typing while hearing CW. Maybe both methods should be worked on.

hi

Depends how you are doing - but . .

. . if you can't type already then you run a risk of linking morse character directly to keyboard key.

This might be OK for military operators receiving coded gobbledegook on autopilot for hour after hour . . . but . .

probably you want to learn to decode in your head directly, rather than ( to have to ) type it all out and then read it . .

cb

Posted: 2021-06-17 00:13
decode in your head, understand what you decode, typing or writing at least delayed till understood. That is the final goal. However jotting down character by character is the intermediate very usable step.

Hi cb, long time no see...

Posted: 2021-06-17 08:42
(I am still beginner myself, but on air daily now doing normal QSO's)

As you suggest, both methods should be worked on after my short experience. I am able to do speed:20/17 lessons here in Code Groups on a good day. But I am not able to do (or really struggle to) copy a 15 WPM QSO on air. Sending is no problem, but receiving is the issue. I still need to write down a lot.

I would at some point balance LCWO training with using Morse Code Ninja files, or similar that send "typical QSO phrases" e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hreSmzw6u5Y . I have these downloaded to my phone and listen while driving the car or talking a walk.

(In case you study solo, I recommend CW Ops Beginner course, that really pushed me forward. Being in a group with other in same situation is very, very positive for the learning)

Posted: 2021-06-18 08:25
cb is right...
". . if you can't type already then you run a risk of linking morse character directly to keyboard key."

I experience that first hand. Im a pretty good blind typer and can (mostly) keep up with typing at 20/17 speed. But then I have really NO idea what I'm typing and need to look at the screen to see what it is. Head copy... I FAIL with anything above 20/10! Not just on words but characters individually don't come to mind anymore.

Back to training!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.