Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (20)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: What happened with the speed??

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-04-08 14:22
I'm at lesson 10 of the Koch Method; character speed 18WMP, effective speed 9 WPM; ten one-minute practice texts every day. After six days of lesson 10, yesterday I got one score above 90%.

Today I continued and it suddenly seemed I actually have time to think between characters; the beeps seemed very slow. I got 93.4% at my first try. I changed settings to character speed 20WPM, effective speed 12WPM and today even my average was above 90%. I scored >90% on seven out of ten practice texts.

I don't think I suddenly became a morse genius - but what else can have caused this?

Posted: 2021-04-08 15:56
I'm glad to hear that you have a slow speed also. I thought it was on my end.
Administrator

Posted: 2021-04-08 16:19
Yesterday I rolled out a fix for the CW generator that is used if you pick the "HTML5" sound option in your CW settings.

When using Farnsworth (effective speed < character speed), the generated CW was faster than it should have been.

This was a long-standing bug on LCWO but I never really cared to fix it (because it somewhat breaks backwards compatibility) until I recently rolled out the new "jscwlib" player (which generates the sound in the browser instead of on the server). jscwlib uses correct timing, so I think it was a good idea to upgrade the HTML5 player to the correct timing as well, avoiding inconsistencies within LCWO. This was done yesterday.

So in order to get your old speed back, you need to increase the effective speed a little, if you're using Farnsworth. If there's interest in this, I can (I think without too much effort) generate a small script that gives you the closest match of old vs new speed settings.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Fabian
[deleted]

Posted: 2021-04-08 19:11
I've just a finished a Code Groups session at 15/7 WPM and I have:

Groups: 35 (154 characters), Errors: 16 = 10.3%

Real speed: 154 characters / 345.1 seconds = 5.4 WPM / 26.8 cpm

PARIS: 7 WPM

I'm worried about the 5.4 wpm bit. While the hmtl5 player was running too fast, it is definitely running too slow now.

Posted: 2021-04-08 20:58
I do use the HTML5 option. Do I understand this correctly: I was using a higher speed than I thought I did? And that is now fixed?
Administrator

Posted: 2021-04-08 22:17
WammesWaggel:
Do I understand this correctly: I was using a higher speed than I thought I did? And that is now fixed?

Yes, that is correct. The old HTML5 implementation was simply too fast.

oc:
I'm worried about the 5.4 wpm bit. While the hmtl5 player was running too fast, it is definitely running too slow now.

5.4 wpm *real* speed for 7 wpm PARIS is about what I'd expect for mixed text, simply because on average the sent characters are longer than PARIS.

So my advice is just to bump up the effective speed a little and you're back at your old speed.

I will change the site default from 20/10 to 20/15 for new accounts, which is very close to the "old" 20/10 timing.

Fabian

Posted: 2021-04-09 10:38
Thanks Fabiam!

Posted: 2021-04-09 11:30
Regarding speed, I have a strange effect here: Training "5er Gruppen", using the jscwlib variant. Settings in "CW parameters" 20/10 Farnsworth, training time 2 minutes. The audio seems to run twice the speed (1:00 instead of 2:00), both in Firefox ESR and Chromium on Raspberry Pi.

The strange thing is, this happens *just* in "5er Gruppen", all other trainings work just fine. I have once fiddled with the settings directly using the cogwheel in the player on "5er Gruppen". But I checked, and the parameters are as they should be.

When switching back to "HTML5" the speed seems to come back to normal, but when I switch back to "jscwlib", it is as before, twice as fast.
Administrator

Posted: 2021-04-09 12:13
Hi Oliver,

uncheck the option to use REAL speed on the "5er-Gruppen" page and it should be fine.

I should make it more obvious what this checkbox does, and that it only generates the desired effect when effective speed = character speed.

For most users this option is not useful, only relevant for HST training :)

Fabian

Posted: 2021-04-11 17:48
What should be the minimum speed to start QSO.I'm working 25/7 now. What are your recommendations?

Posted: 2021-04-11 17:55
Thanks, that worked! Didn't notice it was checked in the first place.

Olli (dl1ovs)

Posted: 2021-04-11 19:39
TA4STA:
What should be the minimum speed to start QSO.I'm working 25/7 now. What are your recommendations?

Can you manage 15/15 ?

cb

Posted: 2021-04-11 19:52
Hi Chris,

I noticed that 15/15 was a little fast for me. Because I'm slow, I'm missing some letters. I guess I need to be a little bit faster.

Posted: 2021-04-11 20:08

Well not necessarily . . . CQ at 10/10

If anyone is interested in helping newbys
or
if you get heard by another newby you will be away . . .

People should reply at the speed of the CQ . . .

Getting on the air is important ..

You might even get a SKED from another lcwo.net student . .

CB

Posted: 2021-04-11 22:13
Hi Abdullah,

TA4STA:

You should know all letters and numbers and some
special characters as ? /

You could prepare a template with common
QSO phrases and abbreviations, one for calling CQ
and one for answering CQ.

Listening on air real QSOs is useful.
Listening to recordings of your own sending is useful.

The speed is not so important 12/12 is ok.

I'm on air since mid of last year, so still beginner.

hpe cu on air soon!

Rüdiger
DD5RK

Posted: 2021-04-12 08:27
I tried a CQ on 10 WPM this weekend (before the contests started), and got replies and did my first CW QSO's. I am doing my training in 20/15, but meanwhile the idea of starting running on the air QSO in a low speed is very good. At least it's a boost in motivation for the training.

I'm also looking after CQ's in low speed on Remote Beacon Network, as I have included this in my logging program (Log4OM) as a cluster.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.