Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (32)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Skipping Special Characters.

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-02-18 22:09
I'm going through the Koch lessons. Is there a way to remove or skip most of the special characters?

Posted: 2021-02-19 08:30
I guess it's only possible if you go through the 40 lessons, then you can in your CW parameter tick or untick characters to skip them.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's a good idea to skip characters. I guess you're speaking about the "," character for example or maybe the "." ?
It's possible, rarely that you'll encounter it during a QSO, so...

Posted: 2021-02-19 19:23
Hi Alan,

goto:
https://lcwo.net/cwsettings

choose your characters > submit

goto:
https://lcwo.net/groups

Change mode: Custom characters

You will get the characters you have chosen.

If I would start again I would

learn the letters
learn the numbers
learn ? and /

Rüdiger
DD5RK

Posted: 2021-02-23 21:22
When I was doing the lessons, I also wanted to skip the special characters, so I just went to change CW settings and selected the characters I wanted to learn. They are listed in the same order as they appear in the lessons. Then I'd use code groups for the training, adding additional characters as I reached the recommended 90% threshold.

Posted: 2021-03-03 21:39
I find it really frustrating to keep practicing characters that won't be used in normal QSOS. The list appears to be based on printed text, where "." and "," are frequent. I have no idea why "=" is so early.

This is an amateur radio site, so please make the list work for hams. I think that means putting "/" and "?" as the earliest-learned characters.

If the site had a option for the traditional learning order and a radio-optimized order, I would switch today. I'm on lesson 18 and I get annoyed every time I copy an "=".

Posted: 2021-03-04 12:10
I skipped "," using "Code groups".

I did learn ".", but not sure if I need it later on, however it's very easy to learn as it has a very distinct sound so it's almost for free anyway. (.-.-.-)

I checked "=" with a local CW operator before I learned it, and he said it's very much in use. Both for changing subject, and also to send as a pause signal if you for some reason are interupted in your tranmission (e.g. someone enters the room), and then you send "=" to indicate you are very soon back to key. So he recommended I did learn "=" as I would hear it often on the air.

And I agree - to have an option to skip a lesson would be great! Than I could continue to use lessons while training instead of code groups. Now I stopped at "," with lessons.

Posted: 2021-03-04 13:44
Hi

= is a prosign for a break BT

You will hear it ALL the time except during contests.

https://www.eucw.org/op/en/prosigns.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosigns_for_Morse_code

You will hear ? after various Q codes - the most common should be QRL?

You will OFTEN hear / for /A /M /SOTA /POTA /QRP /DX suffixes

and call sign local prefixes when someone is operating abroad . . .

eg M/VE7xxx for the UK ( not G/VE7xxx )

although in US/Canada it's a suffix and becomes VE7xxx/K7
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_call_signs
for that example

cb

Posted: 2021-03-04 23:53
I agree 100% with cb (can't argue with a pro). Decades ago when I built things, it was quite common to talk about hardware, or look for parts, so it was common to hear things like: swr 1.2 on 8om; or I need a 3.3k resistor etc. Now comma is another story ;-)

Personally when I first learned cw, I focused most effort on letters, leaving numbers and punctuation to the end - the result they are still the most trouble some. Most learning systems that seem to have survived (koch, farnsworth, US military, etc.) have put a lot of time/money and people through their courses and and have justified reasons for the order of learning. Nobody teaches: abcdefg.... So work through your frustrations (many of us have or still are) you can always temporarily break the sequence as described above to make some progress and then go back and fill in what you skipped. The right way, is the way that keeps you interested and making progress (assumming you not doing dumb things like counting, or visulaizing dits and dahs decorating animals etc.)

Just my 2 cents, as cb often says YMMV

Posted: 2021-03-05 19:41
Ah, "BT" is a good reason to learn "=". Still think it should be after "/" and "?".

Ludwig Koch designed his system for radiotelegraph operators to send German text. That is why "z" is so early, because it is common in German.

So the Koch order is not sacred. It is designed for a different purpose than amateur radio and we shouldn't expect it to be optimal for us.

Posted: 2021-03-05 22:20
wunder:
Ah, "BT" is a good reason to learn "=". Still think it should be after "/" and "?".

Ludwig Koch designed his system for radiotelegraph operators to send German text. That is why "z" is so early, because it is common in German.

So the Koch order is not sacred. It is designed for a different purpose than amateur radio and we shouldn't expect it to be optimal for us.

Yup

. . and actually Gherke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Clemens_Gerke chose the order of most common letters in German, which is slightly different from that in English, for optimising to most common = shortest sequence . . .

cb

Posted: 2021-03-08 02:44
It is interesting that the Morse codes were assigned for character frequencies in German, but that is completely unrelated to the best order for amateur radio operators to learn the characters.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.