Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (29)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: new years delay

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-01-01 01:06
Just watched the television; drank a bottle of champaign and decided to go to sleep because can't decode any sentence at 46 wpm.

Posted: 2021-01-01 10:58
Happy New Year!

Today it is exactly two years ago I set my goal of learning the code, and began my training.

I'm nowhere near 46wpm, and right now I'm just happy that I can call, and answer a CQ, and conduct a QSO on the bands!

Best decision ever!

So to everybody out there considering the same, I'll say - just do it! You won't regret it.

Posted: 2021-01-01 15:48
It really has no sense, 20 to 25 wpm plain text is all you will ever need.

I even think, when I should have used the time involved in exercsing Morse code, by writing a book, painting a picture, or building furniture out of wood, or just earn money by a paid job like distributing newspapers each morning, I should left something when I die, however decoding Morse code proficiency is lost the moment I die.

Posted: 2021-01-01 22:49
Don´t stay on this thoughts. Use your proficiency as long as you can. Or do you regret your live as an ham?

Posted: 2021-01-02 01:53
Gordon, Hams right now, present in masses, are in average not comparable with the small group of hams, licensed if allowed, nearly a century ago in my youth.

I rest my case.

Posted: 2021-01-02 10:08
Please, nonagenarian, do commence writing that book you mention! I have taken your advice many times from within this forum, also from before this site had its lock-down period. I promise, I will definitely read it, and your good advice will be both here, and written in a book forever!

By the way, don't you think CW is being practised beyond...?? :)

Posted: 2021-01-02 12:23
I understand you completely, because my opinion is the same. The new Hams are integrated in pure electronics, like PCs and using FT4 + 8 etc. This is not your way I think and also not mine.
It´s not only a Hobby for itself, it´s a special sort of live. ;-)

Posted: 2021-01-02 17:16
nonagenarian:
It really has no sense, 20 to 25 wpm plain text is all you will ever need.

I even think, when I should have used the time involved in exercsing Morse code, by writing a book, painting a picture, or building furniture out of wood, or just earn money by a paid job like distributing newspapers each morning, I should left something when I die, however decoding Morse code proficiency is lost the moment I die.

I vote for a morse book, it will survive you. Or give Morse course for young or old people on air.

Posted: 2021-01-02 17:37
Sebastian:
Happy New Year!

Today it is exactly two years ago I set my goal of learning the code, and began my training.

I'm nowhere near 46wpm, and right now I'm just happy that I can call, and answer a CQ, and conduct a QSO on the bands!

I really started 2020-01-14 14:36 on LCWO. I'm on air since July 2020 (at least I try, nearly every day). I'll not speak about speed, that is not so important than precision, I think.
Speed will come, I'm sure.

HNY

Rüdiger
DD5RK

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.