Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (16)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Icom Iambic B, Language Skills

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-11-18 21:07
Hi all, I worked 2m mobile back in 1970-72, with a no-code Technician. I tried learning code in high school in the early 1960s, and gave up. After a couple of years of high school German, and two years of Spanish, I didn't learn much. I married a wife from El Salvador, and over 15-years, have picked up some Spanish. I started in on code again a couple of years ago, and I don't have much to show for it, but I came see 20 wpm on single words at times. What I have learned about myself, is that I'm not good learning languages, which includes code. I have now learned to copy and send at the same time, working on lcwo, then sending using my ZN-9 key and an MFJ-407E keyer, routed into a Morserino-32 to check sending accuracy. The MFJ keyer comes with Iambic A as the default. I went to order an Icom 705, the QRP mobil version of the Icom 7300, and found that Icom only supports Iambic B! Changing a jumper on the MFJ keyer, I tried to learn Iambic B. It was a disaster. I could barely send at any speed. I did't want to carry an external keyer with me when carrying the Icom 705, but that is what I'm going to do. The experience was like trying to write with my left hand, instead of the right hand. IF I HAD KNOWN that Iambic B is used by Icom, I would have learned Iambic B instead of A.

Posted: 2020-11-19 01:26
Just start with learning to send iambic B. with a limited set of letters and when fault free expand the set somewhat. Keep the speed low, 12 till 15 wpm.

What you also can do is using a paddle or dual paddle in side swiper mode with your set in straight key mode.

It is not so tiring as a straight key, sounds good, and can be used till high age.

Posted: 2020-11-19 22:34
ICOM IC 7300 has also only B mode.

Posted: 2020-11-20 08:59
Hello John,

at these CW speeds no need to do Iambic A/B.

Try a single lever paddle, or use your paddle without squeezing.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.