Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (29)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Characters and prosigns beyond Koch

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-11-16 11:23
Hi!

The Koch method used in LCWO covers 40 characters (letters, numbers and .,?=/)

I was wondering what other characters are useful or I will likely hear on the air. I understand that there are also a series of prosigns as well, that not only we should learn to receive and send, also the meaning and when to use it.

I found long lists of prosigns but it's just too much to learn and LCWO does not include prosigns unfortunately :(

Thanks!

Posted: 2020-11-16 12:10
In wordtraining https://lcwo.net/wordtraining
you may chose Q-codes and cw abbreviations (or combine both)

In some thread on this forum ( lcwo.net/forum/1883 } the most used abbreviations and Q codes are summarised.

Posted: 2020-11-16 20:23
When you've made reasonable progress through the 40 lessons, and you gently want to start adding limited
prosigns to you're practice, you can with MCPT & LCWO.

With MCPT you generate word and/or code group practice material (a file) which you play via LCWO's "Convert text to CW". The prosign, would either take the place of a word or code group e.g.

KMUR PLAE "or" he and it she

"or" as a delimiter in between every word/code group. e.g. KMEUR SRMAT

But I think the experienced CW members will tell you to focus on the alphas and numbers as a higher priority than the punctuation and prosigns.

Posted: 2020-11-16 20:23
When you've made reasonable progress through the 40 lessons, and you gently want to start adding limited

With MCPT you generate word and/or code group practice material (a file) which you play via LCWO's "Convert text to CW". The prosign, would either take the place of a word or code group e.g.

KMUR PLAE "or" he and it she

"or" as a delimiter in between every word/code group. e.g. KMEUR SRMAT

But I think the experienced CW members will tell you to focus on the alphas and numbers as a higher priority than the punctuation and prosigns.

Posted: 2020-11-16 22:01
Try eg.

+ =

in convert text to cw

Posted: 2020-11-16 22:01
Try eg.

+ =

in convert text to cw

Posted: 2020-11-16 22:02

" + = "

Posted: 2020-11-16 22:07
another try, the forum does not accept < > with letters between

prosigns can be created by enclosing letters in angle brackets, so put the brackets for and after each letter combination

SK AR + KA KN VE =

AR is +
BK is =

Posted: 2020-11-16 22:20
<

Posted: 2020-11-16 22:22
want to start adding limited

KMU<SK>R PLA<AR>E "or" he and it she

"or" as a delimiter in between every word/code group. e.g. KMEUR <SK>SRMAT <BT>

Posted: 2020-11-17 15:57
Thank you for your answers. I'll try to learn some abbreviations (which are characters so it's easy to learn) and some used prosigns. I think I'll leave the extra punctuation marks for the future.

I'm currently practicing the 40 Koch characters at 20/13 wpm with inconsistent training sessions (sometimes 5% error, sometimes 30%).

Posted: 2020-11-18 03:20
I have just enhanced the "permute" option of MCPT, so that regardless of the lesson you are practicing, you can optionally get prosign practice.

I'll say more in the user group "morse_code_practice_text MCPT".

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.