Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (15)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Koch-Lessons vs Morse-Machine

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-11-04 08:37
Currently I use the lessons method (Koch-method) and I am at lesson 13.

I have now seen the MorseMachine and I have used it to exercise on lesson 13.

Maybe this is a wrong question, but I am curious to get your experience/view which method is better/faster to learn:
a) Koch-lessons only
b) MorseMachine only
c) Combination of both

Happy to get your view.

Posted: 2020-11-05 00:23
Morse machine is excellent to learn characters without stress. However you do not receive any infotmation about the next character till you finish typing the received character. This limits your speed to very low effective speed.

When you use Koch lessons you get stress by receiving the next character while typing the previous one. That is very important because you exercise parallel processing in your brain: typing, decoding and receiving.

However when you exercise higher numbered lessons the new characters become less and less represented.

Best is to combine both methods and use subsets in custom code groups or Morse machine After lesson 8 syart wirh word exercises with short words limited to the characterset you already learned.

Posted: 2020-11-06 03:43
To nonagenarians last point, this is why the options for tutor/lesson were added to MCPT. For example: mcpt -tutor=lcwo -lesson=13 -in=words.txt would give you words that only use the characters up to lesson 13.

PARKS MULL KILT PANT ALIAS NEST MAIMS SARIS PINUP RUE ISLES MAINS ERR EIRE PEEL TIT
PULL AWARE TEARS KEEL NEWS STAIN LIARS MALE RAINS LIE LEER TAUNT ARTS PARES MAIN LINE
RENTS RATES PINES RAT KNEE LIST KNELL LETS KRAAL RAIL MASTS PEER ASWAN SNARL INLAW
MAPS LULL LEAPT LEERS SMIRK SIP SNAPS RILE PIPE SPATS PEELS ISIS IM SKUAS PEPS SMART
ARISE WALL PET ART NAPE IMP REAM TEST ITEM PIPES PLUMP SARI ETA MULES TEASE LIMES
MUTT LISPS SNITS SENSE TREES RURAL AIL TILL INERT ALIEN TASKS SMILE SMUTS SWIM WRAPS
AIMER KARMA PEAS EATER SUMMA

Posted: 2020-11-22 19:38
The aversion stimulus in the Morse Machine's negative reinforcement option—the buzzer on errors—has helped me clear up a few repetitive errors I was making in the regular Lessons, such as transposing similar letters.

Does that make the Machine a Skinner Box? :)

Posted: 2020-12-02 22:27
Maybe a dumb question but I seem to mentally link the tones to a keyboard position not a letter. Should i write down letters and then enter? Or once I get to more letters will I be forced to recognize as letters not positions on the keyboard?

Posted: 2020-12-02 22:42
Hurts my brain but I try to mix it up b/w a few different modes. I am doing it way slow but it's the only way I can convince myself to keep going. Meh, it's about the journey they say. Been at the CW journey 5 years now but have not given up. I went through all the Koche lessons in the summer but burned out pretty hard. This time around seems a bit nicer on the brain.

Posted: 2020-12-02 22:44
rhugg:
Maybe a dumb question but I seem to mentally link the tones to a keyboard position not a letter. Should i write down letters and then enter? Or once I get to more letters will I be forced to recognize as letters not positions on the keyboard?

This is not a dumb question but a potentially very real issue.

If you are going to become ( eg.) a professional military operator, dealing in receiving and typing out coded messages, then you want to associate morse to keyboard
because you will need to transcribe with 100% accuracy, else the message will be undecodable beyond the first mistake, and you will always be working at a keyboard.

If on the other hand you aren't working wih coded messages, eg. you are a radio ham, then you probably want to be able to decode straight to meaning in your head
rather than having to type everything every time then read it back . .

. . in which case make sure you can decode to letters not straight to keys by trying writing out first then checking how you did.

If you become keyboard bound then you will probably have to spend more time learning again - which is probably not what you want to happen . .

good luck . .

let us know how you get on . .

cb

Posted: 2020-12-02 23:19
nn1q:
Hurts my brain but I try to mix it up b/w a few different modes. I am doing it way slow but it's the only way I can convince myself to keep going. Meh, it's about the journey they say. Been at the CW journey 5 years now but have not given up. I went through all the Koche lessons in the summer but burned out pretty hard. This time around seems a bit nicer on the brain.

HI

If you got through all the lessons, then it might be time to try some mp3 files on your cellphone files

http://www.arrl.org/20-wpm-code-archive ( or even 15-wpm etc if 20 is too fast )

Lots of listening will get you used to the sounds and the way it all blends together.

Make sure you can hear it clearly and tell the dits from the dahs.

If you can't hear it then you won't decode it.

If you can decode easily for a short period then suddenly you can't any more then you may be getting fatigued . .

YMMV tho'

good luck anyway . . .

don't give up.

let us know how you get on . .

cb

Posted: 2020-12-03 03:23
I appreciate the encouragement. I will finish up the Koche again this month and then start the arrl files (again). Thanks for the reminder! I do tend to listen every couple of days to some

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.