Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (26)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Short term memory

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-09-14 13:21
Hello.
Please tell me effective ways to increase short-term memory.
I hit a wall at 20wpm and no matter how much I exercise, my recognition accuracy does not grow.
I also don't have time to type on the keyboard.
Now I decided to focus on the "words" exercise. I set a goal to completely "read" the word in my mind and only then write it down completely.
I am faced with the fact that subsequent characters replace the previous ones in my internal memory. It is difficult to hold more than 3 characters at a time.
I would be glad to any advice.

Posted: 2020-09-14 15:59
If you can truly do 20 wpm then you can consider learning CW "mission accomplished".

Justdo CW on the bands. Surely in a yar from now your speed will be faster, if that is your goal.

20 wpm however is a completely sufficient speed for everyday ham use.

Posted: 2020-09-15 00:39
test:
If you can truly do 20 wpm then you can consider learning CW "mission accomplished".

It is a popular misconception that if you do exercises at 20wpm you will understand something on the air. But, of course, there is a certain connection.
Working on the air is radically different from exercise.
This is one of the reasons why you need to do a whole range of different exercises.
So far, I have been able to decode (not the first time) individual callsigns at low speed.
Now I suppose I need to reliably learn to recognize and memorize 4-6 characters without writing. And I faced serious difficulties along the way.

Posted: 2020-09-15 08:45
Try to find a K1EL K42 or K44 (I think one can still get them second-hand). Then, train with the K44 Echo mode or an equivalent. It will enable you to increase your buffer memory.

This is how Echo mode works (from the K42 manual):

"Echo Receive/Transmit Practice Description: The K42 will send a character from the selected level and you
must respond by echoing the character back on the keyboard. If you get it right the K42 will repeat the first
character followed by a new character. Now you must echo back both characters. The K42 will continue to
add characters until it reaches five after which it will start with a new set. If you miss a character the K42 will
simply start over with a new sequence of characters."

Alternatively, there is always the Begali Morse Machine, but it is very expensive.

Posted: 2020-09-15 10:47
Tonyd:
Please tell me effective ways to increase short-term memory.

Caffeine.

Posted: 2020-09-15 12:40
ID:
Try to find a K1EL K42 or K44 (I think one can still get them second-hand). Then, train with the K44 Echo mode or an equivalent. It will enable you to increase your buffer memory.

Thanks ID ID
I had the same thoughts and a few months ago I purchased and assembled both kits (k16 mtb and K16 BK).
These are interesting and useful devices. But I noticed that I began to repeat symbols very quickly mechanically, without understanding their meaning. Like a melody. Maybe it's because I can play the guitar.
My native Russian language . In Russian, the sound of a word and its spelling are almost always the same.
My English is below average. Also, I'm dyslexic. Memorizing the spelling of an English word is a challenge for me (some words took years). Therefore, when decrypting the code, I cannot use language guesses. I just need to see in my mind the "running line" of the code that i hear .
So far, I forget the beginning of a word when I read its end. These are the conclusions I have now. Perhaps someone faced a similar situation.

Posted: 2020-09-15 12:58
oc:
Caffeine.

I expect Tony needs to relax rather than wind up . . .

Tony . .

Look at what Lea says in this post:-

https://lcwo.net/forum/2170/Morse-code-at-417-Hz

We don't hear much from her, but I gather she is OK at 50wpm . .

cb

Posted: 2020-09-15 14:07
cb:

I expect Tony needs to relax rather than wind up . . .

Tony . .

Look at what Lea says in this post:-

https://lcwo.net/forum/2170/Morse-code-at-417-Hz

We don't hear much from her, but I gather she is OK at 50wpm . .

cb

huh, it's not that easy to catch, but I'll try)

Posted: 2020-09-16 08:31
Actually, Tony, I have the same problem. It is not really an issue: I repeat the sound of the morse group and the meaning typically arises just after I have finished.

It still does help a lot: I find that the combination of listening to ebooks and echo mode leads to real progress.

Posted: 2020-09-16 22:50
Recently, I completely stopped the "lessons" exercise and switched to "words" and "callsigns". I close my eyes, concentrate to the utmost and try to decode the words and write them down after. There are some successes.
I decode three-letter words almost 100% the first time. Four letter words 40% the first time 40% the second and the rest require more. But five letter words almost always require 2-4 repetitions to be recognized and memorized without writing.
It turned out to be a completely different matter than exercise"lessons". Fundamentally more difficult. It looks like in the previous months I just tightly linked sounds and certain keys on the keyboard.Until I ran into the typing speed on the keyboard. With a very weak image of the symbols themselves. Some kind of "trap".
Moreover, the meaning of the word does not arise for me. Because I have to first "read" (in my brain) and then still translate the word into my language. This also takes some time.

Posted: 2020-09-17 10:13
Tonyd:
Recently, I completely stopped the "lessons" exercise and switched to "words" and "callsigns". I close my eyes, concentrate to the utmost and try to decode the words and write them down after. There are some successes.
I decode three-letter words almost 100% the first time. Four letter words 40% the first time 40% the second and the rest require more. But five letter words almost always require 2-4 repetitions to be recognized and memorized without writing.
It turned out to be a completely different matter than exercise"lessons". Fundamentally more difficult. It looks like in the previous months I just tightly linked sounds and certain keys on the keyboard.Until I ran into the typing speed on the keyboard. With a very weak image of the symbols themselves. Some kind of "trap".
Moreover, the meaning of the word does not arise for me. Because I have to first "read" (in my brain) and then still translate the word into my language. This also takes some time.

Hi Tony

This is an all too commom problem morse -> key.

You can have 100% success at the exercises but not know morse.

This is why some of us advise writing down , and I advise not testing yourself all the time.

so

Try slowing down the morse a bit and then just repeating the letters to yourself as you get them.

It's maybe not such a good idea to be learning in english if you are not fluent, but short words will do . . .

You can only concentrate on either distinguishing the morse OR decoding.

Ideally you want the decoding to be an automatic reaction, so better to pick up the code and see if the letter pops into your mind without thinking too much - it will, but slowly at first.

How's your hearing ? Do you have good enough 'phones ?? ** If you can hear the code OK then it's only a matter of time . . . **

Concentrating too hard will be too tiring

good luck

cb

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.