Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (20)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Copying to paper

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-09-03 16:24
I used to read code years ago. I used paper and pencil. I’m now 68 and coming back but have a hard time writing fast enough to keep up with 20/10. If I close my eyes I hear every Letter. Just can’t get them down. Do most of you use a computer keyboard. I don’t have smart thumbs like younger folks. I make mistakes cause I can’t keep up hunting and pecking on the iPad with one finger. Enjoying the website. I believe the method is correct. Sure wish I had this so many years ago. I’m always behind 1,2 or three letters which I read is good. I believe I could go faster and more accurate if I could keep up with copy. Will appreciate any and all advice. Maq

Posted: 2020-09-03 16:46

Generally you are probably better not learning to type
at the same time as learning morse
because you probably don't want to develop a link between morse and key-press

rather
hear morse, and then think of letter

However, it sounds like maybe you are beyond this already,
especially if you are reading three letters behind . . .

If you are sure you are decoding each letter,
then you won't need to track your results all the time . . .
maybe once on 5 or 10 to see if it's time to move on.

Maybe you don't even need that . . .

Have you tried listening to some medium speed morse files to see if it all comes back, maybe ?

eg. http://www.arrl.org/20-wpm-code-archive

cb

Posted: 2020-09-03 17:13
Cb, Tnx for the quick reply. I used to type 70wpm in high school, but that was 1969. I may type 30 now if I practice for a few days. I will go to the url and try listening to medium speed Morse files and see where I am.

Seriously, I thought maybe there was some type of Morse shorthand. If I’m going to get faster on paper at these exercises I’m going to have to come up with a better system. I need to practice writing differently to see what is fastest. When I start a new letter my speed goes down now because I have to practice finding it on the iPad. Maybe I need to educate my thumbs, but how do most hams copy at 20 and above?

Thanks to you all in advance. Maq

Posted: 2020-09-04 00:50
Don't exercise with code, use ecercises in words.
You can start with short words. Don't type them out before you have decoded in your mind the whole word. Use fixed speed x/x with x a natural number.
repeating a word when missed, after decoding in your mind type it in, check it and the next word is transmitted.

Posted: 2020-09-04 02:04
Fabian, DJ1YFK, is the person to ask for this. I believe he uses a keyboard, based on pictures I have seen.

Otherwise, there are many morse shorthands: most of the Eastern European competitors in IARU HST (High Speed Morse transmission competitions)use their own shorthand. So, I suspect, you would have to devise your own.

Personally, I am a fast writer: years of higher education mean that I can write several sentences behind. My handwriting has morphed into something very similar to shorthand, which I alone can read.

I have found that this skill translates very nicely to morse. If you are reading 3 letters or so behind, I would suggest to try to develop that aspect and see whether a keyboard or pencil works best for you.

Posted: 2020-09-07 05:40
thank you for the recent post. I have started practicing writing to paper with different pencil lead and have found that 0.5 lead in a drafting pencil is helping me write smaller which takes less time. writing faster however keeps me from being 2 3 or 4 letters behind, so I've started practicing hearing words from qso's found on YouTube. You are correct about morphing your writing to mu own system. Already seeing that.

I'm still trying to get through the lessons here. They are not as enjoyable but I am still not fluent with numbers punctuation or Ham abbrev, etc. I've been at it for three days and will need three more to finish the initial 40 lessons. Then on to something else.

tnx again for all advice!!

Posted: 2020-09-07 22:03
Hi James,

you can easily write behind even though you write fast.

When starting a lesson, just listen to the characters but wait a bit before starting to write

If you catch up with writing then just make another pause in writing while listening.

You will see that this will calm your writing down.

Posted: 2020-09-08 06:22
I can't always do it. But when I'm able it feels like slowing down makes me copy faster. You have to be willing to try it! Then get comfortable with it. I will keep practicing. tnx for the advice.. Maq

Posted: 2020-09-08 10:24
I find copying on paper a good idea in theory, but not on LCWO. Sometimes I can't even decipher my own writing. Having to copy 200 or 300 characters from paper back to keyboard seems a lot of work for me, but each to their own.

Posted: 2020-09-08 13:30
Voice recognition is now working nicely, just give it a try instead of typing it in.

Papercopy is a known way to better learn whatever, so why not use it for CW.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.