Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (19)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Feature idea- option to disable private messages

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-09-03 10:33
While, as many of us, I am happy to participate in the forums when an interesting topic arises, as I feel we all benefit, myself included, I suspect I am not alone in not being terribly keen to receive private messages.

Is there any way to opt entirely out of receiving private messages while retaining the possibility to post on the forum?

And if there isn't, could it be added at some point in the future?

Posted: 2020-09-03 12:06
I second this request. I have received hate by PM from the "usual suspect" and his sockpuppets. I would also like the functionality of "ignoring" users.

Posted: 2020-09-04 00:55
ID:
I suspect I am not alone in not being terribly keen to receive private messages.

Is there any way to opt entirely out of receiving private messages while retaining the possibility to post on the forum?

Is "Just don't read them" not an option for you?

Posted: 2020-09-04 14:42
Hi,

oc:
I second this request. I have received hate by PM from the "usual suspect" and his sockpuppets. I would also like the functionality of "ignoring" users.

The problem is anonymity, if the users would give their real name or call sign, the problem would be smaller but not disappear.

Everyone can of course decide for themselves whether they are reading a personal message or not, simply not opening or deleting it.

I read personal messages because if I block personal communications as a matter of principle, I miss the chance to meet new people.

Posted: 2020-09-04 15:55
As of a year or so ago, I no longer open messages and systematically delete the ones I receive (except those from the site administrator, naturally).

But I would prefer not to receive them at all.

Posted: 2020-09-06 16:30
Hi,

ID:
As of a year or so ago, I no longer open messages and systematically delete the ones I receive (except those from the site administrator, naturally).

But I would prefer not to receive them at all.

yes, i changed my mind after receiving a private mail. I will delete all messages from anonymous users without opening them.

Administrator

Posted: 2020-09-08 15:55
ID:
While, as many of us, I am happy to participate in the forums when an interesting topic arises, as I feel we all benefit, myself included, I suspect I am not alone in not being terribly keen to receive private messages.

I'll add this feature, it's a good idea.

Fabian

Posted: 2020-09-08 23:08
I can and have seen both sides of this with other forums I'm on. Expect to see size of threads increase as many will become a. conversation log between two users as they drill down on details that usually is spun off to private email. Its a hard call.

Posted: 2020-09-09 08:28
Thank you very much! People can always opt in, if they wish to received private mail, to avoid having very long threads.

Posted: 2020-09-10 00:17
ID: the default is that you have to opt out, not to opt in.

HH

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.