Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (27)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Getting very tired...

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-08-28 12:01
Hi all.

I don't know if anyone have experienced what I have been experiencing lately, or if the subject has been covered before...

But here it goes:

The last month or so, I'm getting immensely tired after listening to CW. Whether it's on the air QSO's or my Morserino-32 or other device, doesn't matter. I can feel fresh at first, but after 2-3 minutes, I could fall asleep while sitting in a chair. Then I go for a walk, or to the kitchen for a glass of water. I get fresh and awake almost instantly. But when I go listen CW again, the tiredness returns, and again after only a couple of minutes..

Has anyone tried this before??
What is the cure?

Posted: 2020-08-28 12:56

Sebastian:
What is the cure?

Probably, having a snooze . . .

You might (well) find that you can decode better whilst half asleep,
because sound is the last thing to go,
and you will not be distracted by thinking of other things . . .

As usual YMMV, but it's not so uncommon AFAIK

cb

Posted: 2020-08-28 13:30
OK...

Maybe I should go earlier to bed also. I'm having 4-5 hours sleep every night, and it's probably not enough at my age (42).

I have woken up more than once, by a loooong bip, because i fell asleep wiht my hand resting on the key, or also to a series of dihs or dahs when training with my Morserino.

The strange thing is that I don't feel tired at all during the day.

My own theory, is that I have been listening in the very late hours for a longer period of time, and maybe I'm now associating the CW as something linked to night/bedtime, even when doing CW in daytime... But hopefully not, as it could turn into a real problem then...

Posted: 2020-08-28 19:21
I experience the same...after 5 minutes or so, I start to doze off. I am hoping that when I actually start making contacts, the adrenalin will perk me up..

Posted: 2020-08-28 19:43
rbusque:
I experience the same...after 5 minutes or so, I start to doze off. I am hoping that when I actually start making contacts, the adrenalin will perk me up..

I expect it will for the first one . .

You can write things down beforehand like the TV folks do . . .

If you try decoding whilst feeling a bit sleepy, does your decoding improve somehow ??

Enjoy anyway. You got to 40 already so . . .

cb

Posted: 2020-08-28 22:05
Well, I don't think it improves things for me. I think it is just another hurdle to push through along the way to fluency.

Posted: 2020-08-29 01:50
I will try to get more sleep over the next weeks, to see if it changes. It wasn’t like this before. Maybe I need a brake from my daily training.

I have the first 250’ish CW QSO’s already in my log, and maybe 50 of them made with straight key... 10-20 QSO with slow rag chew, accomplished both in Danish, German, English and Spanish. So the initial nerves are not so bad anymore. But I do feel very awake QSO’ing though...!

Posted: 2020-08-29 08:41
Sounds as if you are chronically sleep deprived: it is quite insidious.

While you are going about your daily activities, you won't notice it because of the level of sensory stimulation keeping you awake, then when you try to focus on morse (or driving!) off you doze.

4-5 hours a sleep/night is nowhere nearly enough, time spent sleeping is not time wasted!

If you do not sleep enough the conversion of short-term to long-term memory is dramatically affected (cf. H.C. Krishnan et al.:"Acute Sleep Deprivation Blocks Short- and Long-Term Operant Memory in Aplysia", in "Sleep", 2016 Dec 1; 39(12): 2161–2171) and there can be long-term damage to the brain (read Alzheimer's).

Good luck and my heartfelt wishes for making R & R time!

Posted: 2020-08-29 09:07
ID:

4-5 hours a sleep/night is nowhere nearly enough, time spent sleeping is not time wasted!

If you're over 50, a 5 hour sleep at night is more than enough. I struggle to sleep more than 5 hours a night and I don't need an afternoon nap anymore. Maybe because of my ketogenic diet.

Posted: 2020-08-29 21:05
Alzheimer’s from lack of sleep...? And I that thought the main reason was pollution of our drinking water with pesticides...

But nevertheless, I agree that even with my 5 hours sleep, which it is mostly, it would be better for me with maybe 6 hours. So I will make my self a schedule from now on, and have at least 6 hours, and see how that works out...

After that I will post my results here...

Posted: 2020-08-30 11:08
There is a correlation between sleep- deprivation and:

1. the build-up of beta-amyloid proteins which are associated with Alzheimer's.

2. the increase in the Tau protein which is strongly correlated with Alzheimer's.

Check out the following articles:

1. Holth JK, Fritschi SK, Wang C, Pedersen NP, Cirrito JR, Mahan TE, Finn MB, Manis M, Geerling JC, Fuller PM, Lucey BP, Holtzman DM. The sleep-wake cycle regulates brain interstitial fluid tau in mice and CSF tau in humans. Science, 2019 DOI: 10.1126/science.aav2546

2. Washington University School of Medicine. "Sleep deprivation accelerates Alzheimer's brain damage." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 24 January 2019.

Posted: 2020-08-30 11:39
Ketogenic diets (or any very low carb diet) protect from Alzheimer and at the same time reduce the time needed for a good sleep. Two birds with one stone. Plenty of studies. I can cite them if requested.

Posted: 2020-08-30 11:58
oc:
Ketogenic diets (or any very low carb diet) protect from Alzheimer and at the same time reduce the time needed for a good sleep. Two birds with one stone. Plenty of studies. I can cite them if requested.

A few other effects too - by the look of it . .
eg
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-you-try-the-keto-diet

Posted: 2020-08-30 13:02
you can add alcohol to keto diet ;-)

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/does-alcohol-help-protect-the-brain

or

No sports, just whisky and cigars (Winston Churchill said allegedly) he became 90.

I sleep until I wake up. ;-) And than I make sports.

Posted: 2020-08-30 16:44
cb:
A few other effects too - by the look of it . .
eg
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-you-try-the-keto-diet

Stopped reading at " this eating plan is actually a medical diet that comes with serious risks."

Posted: 2020-08-30 16:47
DD5RK:
you can add alcohol to keto diet ;-)

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/does-alcohol-help-protect-the-brain

Actually you can't. Alcohol stops ketogenesis.

Posted: 2020-08-31 01:55
DD5RK:

No sports, just whisky and cigars (Winston Churchill said allegedly) he became 90.

I'm all for Churchill!

My mother always said that the Good Lord made bacon, eggs and butter, so it couldn't be bad for her. And added that a jigger of scotch helped her fall asleep . . .

I remember one of her medical check-ups at age 92 (in excellent health and still living in her own flat) at which her treating physician said to her that she might want to slow down on the bacon and eggs.

She answered (in French):

"Et vous, jeune homme, quel age avez-vous?"

("And you, young man, just how old are you?")

End of conversation.

Posted: 2020-09-05 16:32
Hi again.

Now one week later.... SUCCESS!! - or maybe more success'ish....

The whole week I have been in bed at 22 o'clock, in stead of my usual 1, or 2 o'clock in the morning.

And success! Not once have I fallen asleep listening to CW this week....! But the main reason I think, is that I haven't been listening that much. Nor have I had any on-air QSO's this whole week (as you can see on my QRZ.com profile/log).

I will definitely continue following this strategy if it's healthier, and I avoid Alzheimers. But at the same time, I must accept that learning CW will take me a few more years with less time for training...

My routine now:
6 o'clock I get up, wake up my kids, make their lunch boxes.
7 o'clock I drive to the gym with headphones on, and listening to CW at 25 wpm (15 min)
9 o'clock I open up my store for the customers.
18 o'clock I close my store and drive home with headphones and CW at 25 wpm (15 min).
At home I play with my kids, we eat together, we read together (they read, I correct), and at 20 o'clock they are put to bed.
From 20 - 21 o'clock I spend time with my wife.
Then I have only one hour left, and during the week, I have different task for each day, and when I go to bed at 22 o'clock, I haven't been doing any more CW training.
So a total of 30 min of CW training by listening whilst driving. Hopefully I can do some on-air QSO during the weekends, and hopefully it will be enough to still make progress.... :)

But I do feel I have had more energy during the day this week, and after the first 3 days having a hard time falling asleep, I now feel naturally tired around 22 o'clock.

Tnx for the advice here... :)

Posted: 2020-09-06 10:57
Nice to hear, congratulations!

In the light of your heavy schedule, allow me to make a small suggestion: buy an IPod shuffle (4th-6th gen, you can get them used or as new on Ebay) and use it to listen to morse while you're in your store or out and about.

I got one 2 year ago and it made all the difference: they are tiny and can be fixed to your shirt collar and don't get in the way when you are working or doing things, you can put the volume on low so you can hear your customers if they ask something. You can even pre-record various exercises at various speeds and shuffle from track to track.

That way you could put in hours a day of morse training and no one would ever notice.

Good luck!

Posted: 2020-09-06 11:50
Another very useful tip! Tnx agn!

I know I will make progress. I had a nice ragchew QSO yesterday on 80 meter, comfortably at 19 wpm, in my own language (danish), but with paddles though...

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.