Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (22)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Tips for starters?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-08-18 15:26
Hi there - I'm just starting and am at lesson 4. It is hard to break through the mental fog. How long does it take before recognizing characters becomes second nature? My speed is 20/12. Despite getting 90% most of the time I repeat a lot as I know that recognizing is not automatic yet. Any tips for beginners?

Posted: 2020-08-18 16:10
happydutch:
Hi there - I'm just starting and am at lesson 4. It is hard to break through the mental fog. How long does it take before recognizing characters becomes second nature? My speed is 20/12. Despite getting 90% most of the time I repeat a lot as I know that recognizing is not automatic yet. Any tips for beginners?

1/ Keep going.

2/ Keep going.

3/ Get to lesson 40 anyhow then worry about speeding up etc

4/ Expect to spend somewhere between 2 months and 2 years.

5/ No shortcuts to working at it are available, but there are a variety of ways of actually working.

6/ There are various ways of ensuring you take longer though . . . so try to avoid them.
eg
Linking morse -> keyboard not morse -> letter. You get to lesson 40 but then need a keyboard until you learn it all again.
Too fast - it doesn't sink in - after a few lessons this catches up with you and you stop dead having made no progress actually.
Not spending enough time on it 15-30 mins every day - you stop making progress and give up.
Spending too much time on it - you develop fatigue and stop making progress

7/ It's worth it in the end.

8/ Make sure you have good phones and that you can hear it all properly. Can't hear it = can't learn it.

9/ Listen to lots of morse.

You learn by a process of hear morse -> think of character -> repeat until the character appears in your mind automatically.

If you have a high level of aptitude for morse, you won't need any help from this forum, else read through the posts a bit . .

Good luck.

let us know how you get on . .

cb

Posted: 2020-08-19 00:27
I add:
Do not exercise 20/12 when you proceed slowly, try to reach lesson 40 with 20/5 when progress is too slow at 20/10 and when with 20/5 lesson 40 is reached go on with lesson 40 as described in this forum by BrushupCW with decreasing character speed and decreasing character spacing to standard.

2. Keep the audio volume low.

3. copy on paper with a pen(cil) at least one out of 3 exercises.

Posted: 2020-08-19 08:24
I would add one small point to the excellent advice above:

1. Schedule 1 day/ week during which you do no morse at all and just relax. It makes a major difference.

This was standard policy for all the intensive language courses (Chinese, Russian, etc) I took when I was younger as it prevented burn-out and enhanced deep assimilation.

Posted: 2020-08-19 09:03
Thank you all! Very helpful tips. I suspect indeed that 20/12 is too fast. I will slow down a bit.

I'm now a little worried about Morse->keyboard linking. I probably should doing paper-based as well (thanks for that suggestion!).

I suspect I will have a long road ahead of me... Let's see how it goes. Will let you know...

Posted: 2020-08-19 11:54
It depends all on your will to reach the aim. Step by step and this means low speed. Just start next lesson, when your estimate ist 90%. The speed ist good, when you can make the lection well. Because speeding up, is the way after you are firm with all Charachters. It will take months or more, but there is a sparkle at the horizon. :-)

Posted: 2020-08-19 19:07
happydutch:
Thank you all! Very helpful tips. I suspect indeed that 20/12 is too fast. I will slow down a bit.

I'm now a little worried about Morse->keyboard linking. I probably should doing paper-based as well (thanks for that suggestion!).

I suspect I will have a long road ahead of me... Let's see how it goes. Will let you know...

Good idea; that is the advantage of this website, honour to dj1yfk you are never alone, and you will be assisted by people that did it; easily or not - by hard regularly working for a pretty short time per day, but EVERY DAY, also people that obviously know how to learn things,(like ID) which is probably the most important thing.

Posted: 2020-08-20 22:07
I did a couple of sessions on paper, for the first time today in earnest. Something wonderful happened. My pen wrote the letters (well, most letters) automatically. No thoughts while doing it. It felt like magic. I guess I am on the right track. Deep learning (akin to Machine Learning) is something wonderful.

Posted: 2020-08-27 16:36
Thanks for this post! I am on lesson four myself and have been wondering if I am doing it right as I average over 90% but don't necessarily FEEL like I learned it. I find myself wondering, during tests, "ok, I just heard the tones that I think are R and hit the key for R but do I really understand that the tone IS R". I asked questions on a facebook group about this but don't know if anyone could understand what I was meaning but I think people in here will get my thoughts. I have decided to dedicate time each day to LCWO and I think after reading the comments on this thread I will incorporate pen and paper to my tests as well.

Posted: 2020-09-01 07:49
I now understand that it's just a matter of doing it again and again until your brain associates the tones with letters without effort. I also had the feeling I wasn't learning anything, because you're not learning the traditional way. I started to do word training (without the variable speed) and that's very satisfying too. I am now at 11.

Posted: 2020-09-01 16:06
you can write down exercises with a pencil, which is very good. But what will you do when you reach at least 20/20 speed (this is not a very high speed). Obviously you cannot write with a pencil. I write with a pencil when doing the callsign exercises. This helped me a lot. I began to slowly develop my short-term memory, which is so lacking to work on the air

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.