Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (31)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: How to get on-air?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-08-02 13:29
Hi, I want to learn morse code.

I am wondering how you get on air?
What equipment is needed? Can I use my computer to receive and transmit morse code? Do I need a keyer/paddle to send out?

And also, are the morse community forgiving towards beginners starting to send out morse?

Thanks for the answers! :)

Posted: 2020-08-02 19:07
I see you joined LCWO today and are on lesson 4.

You will find some good advice on this forum. The best advice I've seen for someone in your position is to work your way through the 40 lessons. Once you've done that, learn to send (it doesn't take as long). Then you can think about going "on air".

Yes, you can use your computer. Have a look at CWCOM.
https://morsepower.blogspot.com/2016/08/cwcom-getting-started-connecting.html
You don't need a keyer/paddle (you can use the down arrow on your keyboard) but a straight key or a paddle (even a cheap one) will be very much easier and more enjoyable.
There are other internet platforms (for instance, iCW and CQ100).

My personal experience is that the morse-over-internet community is forgiving towards beginners. The radio community are fine if you can read at 10 wpm or more (or use a decoder, but then what's the point?). The unforgiving types just won't respond to your slow CQ call. Top Tip: don't send faster than you can copy.

Good luck with the learning.

Posted: 2020-08-03 15:35
Hello ! There is also https://vail.woozle.org/ , it is an internet-only CW repeater, so that you can try your hands without messing with real frequencies.

You have to check from time to time , if you are lucky you will find other people online.

Posted: 2020-08-04 13:03
I've just had a look at Vail.

Trying to send morse by mouse clicks or keyboard presses is a terrible way to experience morse code.

To use a real morse key, you have to build an Arduino-based tone generator and a USB interface cable (the build instructions and the Arduino sketch are available via a link to GitHub). That's similar to the other morse-over-internet platforms - you need something to tell your computer when your morse key is sending dits and dahs. A lot cheaper than a radio though, and you don't need a license.

There's no visual feedback of what you've sent (no screen decode) so I question its usefulness as a vehicle for learning.

This is a very basic platform. If you just want to practice by yourself, I can't help feeling you'd be better off with one of the stand-alone morse tutor units (of which the Morserino-32 is probably the best example).

Anyway, I think its a bit early for mb0nne to be thinking about getting "on air" just yet. IMO.

Posted: 2020-08-04 13:25
I made this to use my straight key on vail and other places where the mouse button is used.
https://imgbox.com/XwCnlOWf
It is simply a female mono jack plug , the other end of the cord is soldered to the left button pins on the board. Then I simply plug my key here.

I think the absence of visual feedback makes it closer to the experience on an actual radio.

The other thing I like, is that you deal with actual humans, who can interpret much better than machine based decoders.

Posted: 2020-08-04 21:21
Thanks for the feedback!

What I was looking for with this post was to know how I could actually use morse code, and not just learn it to forget it.

Do there exist any products (i.e. a iambic morse paddle) which connects via USB and let's me morse using my computer?

Again thanks for the answers!

Best regards

Posted: 2020-08-04 22:49
mb0nne:
Hi, I want to learn morse code.

I am wondering how you get on air?
What equipment is needed? Can I use my computer to receive and transmit morse code? Do I need a keyer/paddle to send out?

And also, are the morse community forgiving towards beginners starting to send out morse?

Thanks for the answers! :)

Hi mbOnne

It seems like no one really answered your initial question about getting on-air...

So let me try to answer that one. I can see you speak danish, so you probably live in Denmark, just like me.

To get on-air, you need a HAM radio license. There are courses held in different parts of Denmark, and the examinations are also held in different parts of the country.

With the license in hand, you need an antenna, cable, radio, keyer/key, and a power supply.

If you are interested, you can text me an SMS 30381889. I took the license 2½ years ago.

Med venlig hilsen
Sebastian

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.