Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (38)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Tried something new today... Training with music...

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-07-27 00:20
Hi all...

Today I have been training my sending a lot. 3 hours if not more, broken up in bits with good pauses in between.

Then just to try something new, I took the volume of the sidetone down, to see if I could still send without on the straight key. But I could still hear the code from the "clicking" on the key itself, so I put on my headphones with loud music and started sending from a book whilst looking at the decoder screen.

At first I had a hard time, especially with C, and in getting S, and not H. But after a page or so, my errors went down...

What exactly am I training here? And is it important or not?

Posted: 2020-07-27 10:31
You have just discovered that it is possible to send with a straight key while being totally deaf (which is impossible with a paddle or a bug).

It is strange to train something without knowing what one is training, but here you are training muscle memory.

I suspect that this sort of "mental visualisation of sound" (forgive me for the rather unfortunate expression is how Beethoven composed his last symphonies while stone-deaf.

Posted: 2022-04-30 17:55
Sebastian, this is one of the more unique practice methods that I have encountered.
I think that anything and everything that a person attempts, may have merit. Certainly, if you are practicing with a novel method (musical interference?) there can be a benefit.
I may try copying CW soon and experiment with either voice or song sounds in the background.
I have not tried copying with variations in tone as yet. Thanks for sharing your exploration.

Posted: 2022-05-01 20:39
Wired telegraphy operators didn't have sidetones. They had to rely on clicks and muscle memory. Early radio telegraphists didn't have sidetones either. I am actually planning to decode clicks instead of tones (more on this later).

Posted: 2022-05-01 23:56
Oh..., that was an old thread of mine... Had forgotten all about it...

But thanks for opening it up again Bruce.

I have had a lot of gains training with my straight key, and I think it has also helped me learning to use a bug.

I can easily send code without sidetone with my straight key now (and of course not with paddles and bug).

If it is useful or not, but I now have more to rely on for accuracy, than just my sidetone, in my sending.

Interesting oc- hope to hear about your ideas with clicks instead of sidetone...

Posted: 2022-05-02 02:01
d:-) Sebastian, it was a good subject and especially for me because I am so far behind everyone else.

Posted: 2022-05-02 10:23
Hi Brucer

What do you mean

BrucerDucer1:

SNIP

. . . I am so far behind everyone else.

?

cb

Posted: 2022-05-02 19:12
Hi Chris:
I am behind because when I started learning, I had all the tools like Gordon West CD,s Skilman Morse Code CD's, and seriously struggled.
In fact, I found that I could barely follow any lesson of the recommended speeds that most are using. So between that and quitting, I found YouTube recordings of lessons beginning at the speed of 3/3. Between that, and the custom lessons that I wrote for myself to enter into LCWO's
Convert Text To CW, I have managed with daily practice, to reach a copy speed of 22/5 and have been using that for about the last 2 months.

I pick up the speed every 2 months or so as I am able to competently copy at 9/5, 10/5, 11/5,
12/5, ....all the way up to 22/5 that I now currently use. Currently, my accuracy rate is in the range which varies between 88% to 92% on a few days, but mostly I copy accurately between 96% to 100%

Posted: 2022-05-02 23:59
Bruce

exercice with 12/12 very wide spaced groups of 2 characters,
example: ex am pl e.

Posted: 2022-05-03 01:45
Hi Bruce,

Perhaps try other things.

You can use:
Plain Text Training
Word training
Callsign Training
on LCWO

or try:

http://www.arrl.org/code-transmissions

If you can not receive with a radio try:

http://www.arrl.org/code-practice-files

It's a change from your difficult code groups.
And: have fun.

73 Rüdiger DD5RK

Posted: 2022-05-03 10:24
BrucerDucer1:
Hi Chris:
I am behind because when I started learning, I had all the tools like Gordon West CD,s Skilman Morse Code CD's, and seriously struggled.
In fact, I found that I could barely follow any lesson of the recommended speeds that most are using. So between that and quitting, I found YouTube recordings of lessons beginning at the speed of 3/3. Between that, and the custom lessons that I wrote for myself to enter into LCWO's
Convert Text To CW, I have managed with daily practice, to reach a copy speed of 22/5 and have been using that for about the last 2 months.

I pick up the speed every 2 months or so as I am able to competently copy at 9/5, 10/5, 11/5,
12/5, ....all the way up to 22/5 that I now currently use. Currently, my accuracy rate is in the range which varies between 88% to 92% on a few days, but mostly I copy accurately between 96% to 100%

Hi Brucer

The /5 gap is OK for learning the chars.

After that is no help unless you are learning 5/5 for running Boy-scout training courses . . .

Probably ( YMMV ) you should be aiming for 20/20 at this stage.

Probably 18/18 would be a good trial for a next step - else lower to 15/15 12/12 if that's too much for where you are now . .

A "trick" is to have small groups of letters ( 2 to 4 maybe ) at say 20/20 with a big gap between groups,
- and - try to remember the morse for the group and decode in the gap
that is to say - hear a group remember then decode in your head.

This is a good starter towards decoding behind and head copy.

NOTE

I think one of the reasons people have troubles with morse is to do with hearing the code in the first place
- another one is being unable to spell i.e. some issues are not learning code related at all

If you listen and remember the morse first to decode afterwards, this will tell you if you are hearing it correctly
- can't hear = can't decode.

You may find a small change in audio frequency produces an increase in the readability of morse characters.

Worth a try if you are proceeding slowly.

I'm not a fan of wizzy schemes to learn a skill in 10 days - these appeal to people who don't want to put in any effort,
but
that doesn't mean that some small changes won't make a difference.

As ever YMMV . .

cb

Posted: 2022-05-03 22:13
That sounds good Chris. I will give that a try.

Posted: 2022-05-04 15:05
Neurological Diseases & Disorders A-Z from NINDS
Access a list of more than 400 neurological disorders from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Summaries give symptom descriptions, treatment options, and prognosis, along with information about ongoing research on causes, diagnosis, and potential therapies. Contact information for related professional and health organizations is also featured.

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z
A
Absence of the Septum Pellucidum
Acid Lipase Disease
Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis
Adrenoleukodystrophy
Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum
Agnosia
Aicardi Goutieres Syndrome Disorder
Aicardi Syndrome
Alexander Disease
Alpers Disease
ALS Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Alternating Hemiplegia
Alzheimer s Disease
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis ALS
Anencephaly
Angelman Syndrome
Antiphospholipid Syndrome
Aphasia
Apraxia
Arachnoid Cysts
Arachnoiditis
Arteriovenous Malformation
Asperger Syndrome
Ataxia Telangiectasia
Ataxias and Cerebellar or Spinocerebellar Degeneration
Atrial Fibrillation and Stroke
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Autism
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.