Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (22)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Code Groups - Missing A Letter Snowballs

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-07-23 02:11
I have a particular problem with copying random text (code groups or words). When I pause to think I miss several of the following letters. Is there an exercise which will help break the "stop to think" behavior? I know this indicates I don't have a sufficient reflexive recognition of some characters. Has anyone else encountered this and overcome this mental "pause to think" block?
Thanks

Posted: 2020-07-23 10:48
It is common behavior, the result is that you are missing more characters in your try to catch up.

So the general advice is put an unused charater in the missing place (NOT being a space or an enter on this website}.

In the case of copying plain text it is even worse, because when you have the first part of a word, you will guess what the rest will be, and when it is different you get a bunch of errors. So keep your thumb on what you wrote in order to prevent guessing was the advice for beginners, doing their test for a license or preparing for thritlicmse test.

The point is that trying to catch up often succesful, so it is difficult te unlearn this natural human behavior, but general agreed: it is better not to try it.

In plain text a missing character is general unimportnt, in encrypted text it helps tremendously the decryption when the placeholder is known.

Posted: 2020-07-23 13:20
DykesC:
I have a particular problem with copying random text (code groups or words). When I pause to think I miss several of the following letters. Is there an exercise which will help break the "stop to think" behavior? I know this indicates I don't have a sufficient reflexive recognition of some characters. Has anyone else encountered this and overcome this mental "pause to think" block?
Thanks

You are on lesson 1 ??

If you are working learning the characters then you might have to think to recognise them, in which case you will be slower with the new characters.

You learn by:- hear morse -> think char -. repeat repeat until it becomes an automatic responce - like most things you do
so
you need to make sure you are actually decoding, rather than just listening.

Hearing a new char and thinking - "I didn't get that is must be the new char" is not actually decoding . .
so
( some ) people get 90% on an ( early ) exercise say lesson 3, but when they go to the next lesson ( 4 here ) there are now two chars they don't know
so they hit a bit of a wall . . .

Fatigue will get you occasionally, so you will miss some. Do what nonag says in this case . . . .

You have to choose - stay at your target speed ( raw Koch ) or give youself extra decode time ( Farnsworth ) ( this is when you are learning the chars - not speeding up )

The only advise we can give ( because we don't know what you are like except what you tell us ) is that you need to make real progress - else you will get bored and join the 90% or so who give up after a bit. ( some come back years later - often with more realistic expectations )
so
if you NEED to, then use longer space between chars.

TonyD has some concerns about the amount of extra space . . . https://lcwo.net/forum/2123/Started-today

There are NO tricks to get your brain to do things, especially at lesson 1

YMMV

good luck

cb

Posted: 2020-07-23 17:43
HH and Chris thanks for the replies. I am an older cw ham that has been away from the mode for many years. Trying to get my proficiency back up. I am finding out that character recognition at speeds even above 10 wpm has waned. I am ok at 10 wpm or so effective speed, but anything higher and I begin to have the problem I described above

Posted: 2020-07-24 00:24
Dykes go through tje lessons in order to refresh character recognition, and start also exercising "words"
it increases speed when correct and decreases speed when wrong, so you always are around your present capabilities with acceptable stress level.

Posted: 2020-07-24 07:56
Hi Dykes,

nice you are getting back to CW.

Stop thinking is not an option.

Instead you can build up your decode buffer and "write behind".

Start to write down only a letter or two after you hear them. Means you collect the letters in your head and write down a bit later.

Great for doing corrections (as you do them in head)

Great for calming down the writing

And to catch up after thinking you just write down a bit faster once thinking is over.

I would recommend you try the RufzXP programm in callsign mode, write down callsigns after you hear them. Builds up buffer, and is a great training anyway. Instead of callsign you can adjust it for fixed length groups, if call signs are two long to remember.

Enjoy.

Posted: 2020-07-24 15:29
HH-Thanks! I didn't know that "words" exercises automatically adjust speed in keeping with the user's capability. Sounds like a good fit for what I am trying to do.

Test- I'll try "head buffering" and will look into RufzXP.

LCWO is a great website and the folks in this forum are very helpful. Thanks again.

Posted: 2020-07-31 06:27
Dykes - Thanks for posting this. I have a similar story. Came back to the hobby, am older, above 50 years old lol. I am trying to train myself to ignore a missed character so I don't completely implode and miss more characters. Don't give up we will get there. I have noticed taking a break when you are tired as other people suggest really does help. Keep up the good work.

David

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.