Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (22)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Koch

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-07-08 23:12
When using the Koch metheod is it better to have the characters come at you at the same speed you are learning them? For example, if I am learning t 25 WPM can I set the settings to actual character speed but the weffective code speed slower so I have time to process it?

Posted: 2020-07-09 10:11
If you can make GOOD progress, it would be better to learn at 25cpm/25wpm or even 20cpm20wpm or 10cpm/10wpm

. . . however . . .

If you aren't making noticeable progress then generally ( YMMV ) . .

. . . you might well be better trying 10+ cpm
- so you hear the character as a single entity rather than as a group of dits and dahs, (which we call "counting" on this site)
. . . and a slower cpm to give you time to decode it whilst you are learning ( Farnsworth timing)

( answer to Q? :- probably, YES ; but only you can tell how well you are doing)

( Koch's method involves learning new characters one at at time whilst also practising decoding all the ones you have already learned )

You learn by repeated ( repeated repeated ) decoding of characters, until it becomes an automatic response to hearing them.

Whilst none of these mods are ideal - most people take longer than they were hoping for to pick up morse.

Koch's paper gives false hope to millions.

People with higher aptitude breeze through - other start to wonder what's going wrong.

You just need to do your daily practice without distractions.

practise practise practise - there are no short cuts

good luck

don't give up

keep making progress

cb

Posted: 2020-07-09 23:39
It is better not to insist on the ratio of symbol speed and effective speed less than 1/3. Some (like me) then have big difficulties with increasing effective speed. It took me several thousand exercises to start working with a 1: 1 ratio.
Wish you success

Posted: 2020-07-10 00:26
jeanguypataterubberboot:
When using the Koch metheod is it better to have the characters come at you at the same speed you are learning them? For example, if I am learning t 25 WPM can I set the settings to actual character speed but the weffective code speed slower so I have time to process it?

read the instruction, it tells you
:The default speed for new users is 20 WPM characters, 10 WPM effective. You may want to reduce the effective speed, but you don't do yourself a favor by reducing the character speed. Keep it above 15 WPM by all means!

In your case you arrived at lesson 1 you did not a single exercise the last 30 days, you enrolled the course 7 years ago, so my advice is: put the speed at 15 wpm character speed 5 wpm effective speed (15/5)

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.