Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文
Who is online? (24)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: MCPT - Morse Code Practice Text, use with LCWO or other code tutors

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-06-29 06:25
MCPT - is a replacement to cmpt2.

-It has new and enhanced features.
-Simplified install.
-For Windows users, a real time demo of many
features.
- Two helper features for options.
- New LCWO specific enhancements.
- delivery of several sample files
- Mac support
etc. etc.

Get some variety in your practice, or features that may help with learning issues.

I'm happy to answer questions once you've taken a test drive.

Downloadable at http://qsl.net/wa2nfn

wa2nfn

Posted: 2020-06-29 10:33
Bill, your effort is good, but I think your application has too many option and it's a bit confusing. It would help if you wrote a Unix-style man page instead of that long "-help" switch (ideally it should be "-h" or "--help" to keep it with standards).

Is the source available? It would help if we could contribute to the application directly in the source code.

You might already know morse-classic:
https://gitlab.com/esr/morse-classic

If you could make your application a bit more like that (especially the QSO generator) and publish the sources, I could help make a Unix package out of it.

Posted: 2020-06-29 15:35
oc

Thanks for taking a look

1. both of your help style options DO work, in fact any option value that is INVALID like -bill will show the same info. That's the default behavior of the GO flag pkg.

2. The source is not available at the moment. I may do that for those that want to make their own extensions, but I wanted to have some control of the design intent. The intent was to extend or provide new capabilities, not to just offer an alternative. That's why I do NOT have canned QSOs, or sentences, call letters - all things are done very well in LCWO, G4FON, Just Learn Morse Code etc.

3. I am not familiar with morse-classic but I'll take a look. Tnx for the pointer.

4. A manpage - wow, my last one with mm, troff, nroff was long ago. I'll have a look, but I think it will duplicate the help, the UserGuide, and end up being foreign to Windows or Mac users.

IMHO the LCWO specific features are the most unique, hardest to generate manually, not done in any other product but UNFORTUNATELY probably the least tried.

I appreciate the feedback

wa2nfn

Posted: 2020-06-29 21:51
Download temporarily on hold. I can simplify and improve a few options and also delete two - all for a better experience.

Sorry for the delay.

Posted: 2020-06-30 18:14
MCPT available again. 3 option improvements based on feedback.

Posted: 2020-07-01 17:03
I've looked through the UserGuide and listened to the MP3s on the web page, I'm planning to try the LCWO options for the alternating slow and fast cycles of words.
This seems like interval training in exercise and it works well there.

I do have a question though... I see a reference to "Call Signs" on the web site but not in the User Guide, is there a call sign option? Thanks!

Posted: 2020-07-01 23:18
Wease0328:
I've looked through the UserGuide and listened to the MP3s on the web page, I'm planning to try the LCWO options for the alternating slow and fast cycles of words.
This seems like interval training in exercise and it works well there.

I do have a question though... I see a reference to "Call Signs" on the web site but not in the User Guide, is there a call sign option? Thanks!

Great! Exactly the intent. It works for exercise, it worked for speed reading, it should for morse. You get a short bit of mental stress, and then a reprieve until the next cycle.

A similar combination of options, sends "plain text" at a higher speed, then a single code group at a slower speed.

Wease0328:

"Call signs"

There is no option for them, but a combination of options can make sequences that cover a subset. We cannot easily do ones that have a digits in the prefix or suffix (for true call signs use LCWO or RufzXp). ITU defines a call sign as prefix characters (P), followed by a number, followed by a suffix. MCPT has 2 options for prefix, and 2 for suffix. One sets the length, and one the characters. These can be used with words of code groups. For calls,
we could easily use the code group approach.

Putting the options in a file rather than the command line, run: mcpt -opt=calls.txt

where calls.txt is below (I have put comments to keep this brief, this will generate 2x2, or 2x3
call formats) Note they may not be actual calls.

# option file sample for limited call letters
#
prelen=1:1 # a prefix of exactly 1 char
prelist=WK # a prefix of Ws or Ks
codeGroups # make codegroups
cglen=1 # the lengt of a codeGroups is exactly 1
cglist=0-9 # code group is a number from 0 thru 9
suflen=2:3 # a suffix or 2 OR 3 char
suflist=A-Z # a suffix is any letter
out=callout.txt # output file to give LCWO "Convert text to CW"

A portion of output is below:

k0fcm k6tk w6zu k9nx w1bf w7zye w5ls w2eg w8nv w3kk w2bub k8fa k6dfg k2mpc w1agm k5qyv
w0hj k2ftl k4nvd w2lzb w9nmd w8kkh k3sq k5plw w2cx k0qdu w9ghh w7uja w2lk w0lbi k4kl
k0wc w1lz k2mge w9sf k4ph w8ph w8xth k7bpl w4vb k6kqr w3my w4ho w4lzc k1agd k3juu
w9uxx k5iek w1wya k1mbt k4zu w4mbj w8oll k3zm w1har k2tq k9eiu w9mjg k1cf w7iky k4cr

You should easily see the impact of the options based on the output. A single digit change
in prelen (preFIX lenGTH) from 1:1 to 1:2 would add 2x2 and 2x3 calls.

wa2nfn

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.