Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文
Who is online? (31)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Looking for a practice partner for live qso on the web..

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-06-21 23:22
Hello everyone,

About a month ago I finally got to level 40 on Koch's method and since then been monitoring webdsr as well as playing with my hi-mound(via usb mouse) straight key on morsecode.me website. I plan to get my ham license in September, but before it happens it would be nice to practice QSO online with a newbie like myself. I don't know any other simple,free and legal way to practice live without a rig and a licence with a real person on the other side of the screen. Morsecode.me chat displays all the text you send, but if you don't look at the screen it might simulate a real life scenario. If anyone is interested or have any better method welcome to comment.

Posted: 2020-06-22 10:38

Posted: 2020-06-22 11:26
hello!
Congratulations to your progress! Yes there is a way to practice QSOs on the web. Look at cwcom ...this is a cw chat where you are able to brush your skills in reading and sending with real partners. The Admin will help you to install and set your parameter on the right way. And don't be affraid ...QRS is wellcome :-) It is very helpfull to practice here on LCWO and compine it with sending training on cwcom
I am looking forward to see you in the chat :-)
73, OE8FBF Harry

Posted: 2020-06-22 21:44
Hello.
I tried installing on my Mac through wine, this does not work because I have macOS Catalina. I tried crossover but cannot configure serial port access. I installed Parallels Desktop and the application worked, but with a lingering sound from the key. This turned out to be unacceptable. Maybe someone knows how to solve the serial port problem in crossover?

Posted: 2020-06-23 01:35
Thanks everyone for quick reply. I have downloaded cwcom program and it looks very well designed and i already feel excited and anxious thinking about first contact.
I have previously used keyboard for sending CW, but now as i have a straight key it feels like i am not only sending code, but also bodybuilding at the same time. Does anyone know by any chance what should be the tension and the contact gap space on the key? I used 250 gr and 2 envelope setup.

Posted: 2020-06-26 17:46
Luray

I'd be happy to QRS QSO with you on CWCOM (or iCW). My internet morse callsign is M9RSS. If you see me lurking on any of the channels there, give me a call. Don't worry about slow speed or making mistakes - guys on there will be pleased to see you and are very helpful to learners.

I'm not a straight key man but I'm told the gap should be just wide enough to get a sheet of ordinary printer paper into it. In fact, this is a way of keeping the contacts clean.

Posted: 2020-06-26 17:51
Tonyd

The instructions for installing CWCOM on macOS are at https://morsepower.blogspot.com/2016/12/mac-users-how-to-install-cwcom-on-mac.html

If you're still having problems, I suggest you get in touch with the guy who runs the site - Gerry G3MS. He's very helpful.

He can be contacted at
morsepower2020@gmail.com

Posted: 2020-06-27 20:52
Foggycoder

Thanks! Will be glad to meet you on cwcom. I have met Gerry the first time i went online and he was super helpful. Somehow he was able to troubleshoot and fix my key by just hearing the way it beeps. Amazing.

Posted: 2020-06-29 21:00
foggycoder:
Tonyd

The instructions for installing CWCOM on macOS are at https://morsepower.blogspot.com/2016/12/mac-users-how-to-install-cwcom-on-mac.html

If you're still having problems, I suggest you get in touch with the guy who runs the site - Gerry G3MS. He's very helpful.

He can be contacted at
morsepower2020@gmail.com

Thank .
I saw the instructions on the site. But this instruction is not relevant for the latest Mac OS. I will try to contact Gerry

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.