Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文
Who is online? (24)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Getting on the air

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-06-05 21:00
Will getting on the air help me to improve or will it just be a nuisance to other ham operators?

Posted: 2020-06-05 21:41
to practice cw on air is the main purpose of cw :-)) and it is a very great feeling to communicate via cw. The first QSOs are like hell, but after a lot of practice the fun is unstoppable :-)
Don't worry about the thinking of other OM/YL. 99,99% of them are very helbful and they like to help you during the QSO...and the others will not response on your call :-))
So I am looking forward to meet you on the bands
73 OE8FBF, Harry
Administrator

Posted: 2020-06-06 15:46
Get on the air, don't be afraid. Good luck!

Fabian

Posted: 2020-06-06 21:58
Back in the early 90s, when code was a requirement, I was a Technician, and wanted to get to General. The only obstacle was 13wpm code.

What I did was to get on the air in the 40m novice band and work stations until I could copy solid at 15wpm, then went and took a test.

So, if you can copy all the letters, numbers and prosigns, just go for it. Go in the novice bands and send your CQ at your desired receive speed.

Etiquette is to respond at the speed of the sender. If somebody blows you away, just request QRS (send slower.)

Your speed will code up.

Best,
Ed AE2Z

Posted: 2020-06-10 06:14
I too had this fear and have now finally over come it. My main worry was whether I am too slow (when compared to others). But I see that there are many HAMs out there who are also in the same boat, and sending at 14-18 WPM; the speed which I am most comfortable with.

I have also noticed that many operators who send out the CQ calls at 20WPM also reduce the speed when I respond :).

Please go on air and try making a few QSOs, it will certainly increase your confidence.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.