Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文
Who is online? (28)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: speed settings

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-05-25 16:23
So many discussions about speed and spacing... Here's my question, that I didn't seem to find.

The lesson (9) page shows: Current parameters: Character Speed = 20 wpm, Effective Speed = 5 wpm, Tone = 800 Hz, Start delay (seconds): = 3 seconds — Change

After I submit the work for scoring, I find it states: Real speed: 50 characters / 60.4 seconds = 9.9 wpm / 49.7 cpm

So what does effective speed 5 WPM really mean?

tnx
Ed AE2Z

Administrator

Posted: 2020-05-25 18:34
Hi Ed,

you're probably using the "HTML5 Audio" player (which is the default when you sign up on LCWO, but not for very much longer). The CW generator behind that has some major flaws when using Farnsworth timing, e.g. effective speed set to a lower value than character speed. The generated CW will be too fast.

If you go to your CW settings page and select the new player, still marked as "Experimental", you'll get accurate timing, and the calculated "real speed" will be relatively close to the speed you set.

Why is it not exactly the same? Because the speeds you *set* (Character speed and effective speed) are by the PARIS norm (e.g. for n WpM you can send the word "PARIS" n times in one minute), but as soon as you use different characters than just "PARIS", e.g. real letter/figure groups, the effective speed will typically be a little lower (because five average random characters are a little longer than PARIS; especially when figures are involved).

Fabian

Posted: 2020-05-25 20:58
Many thanks for the response and explanation. I'll try the new player. Truth to tell, I was doing pretty well at the speed I was getting, until I missed a week of practice. I hope to get back ot that speed soon.

I passed a 13 WPM test, but that was back in 1993 or so. Now that I have a decent station and antenna, I'm looking at that mysterious CW and feel the need to understand it.

Best, Ed
Administrator

Posted: 2020-05-25 21:39
Great - good luck and see you on the bands one day!

Fabian

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.