Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文
Who is online? (10)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: LCWO now "speaks" Unicode

Back to the Forum

AuthorText
Administrator

Posted: 2020-05-23 07:20
Hello all,

this morning I rolled out a major internal change of this site: The site and the backend are now using the UTF8 character encoding, switching from the old "Latin1" encoding which had a limited set of possible characters.

What does this mean? At the first glimpse, nothing should change for the users; everything should continue to work as previously. If you notice any strange behaviour, please let me know.

But this change now allows us to add Morse characters for any language or alphabet, like Cyrillic and Japanese.

Demo with cyrillic (привет):

If anyone likes to contribute content for word training or plain text training in pretty much any language: Please go ahead!

Fabian

P.S.: Today is LCWO's 12th "birthday", we went online on May 23th, 2008!

Posted: 2020-05-23 07:32
This is Cas22 -- LONG time user here.

ALL OF A SUDDEN I CANT USE THE SITE!---- I try to play a lesson and Nothing plays!!

The only way I can get something to play is to click "Link to MP3 file" under the lesson box, but thats no good because the resulting CW is on a different page and there is no way to type your answers into a box because you are on a blank dark page!

PLEASE HELP!

WHATS GOING ON????

Cas in Wyoming --- casg@wyoming.com
Administrator

Posted: 2020-05-23 07:36
Hi Cas,

which browser are you using? Did you try to log out and in again?

I tested the site with Firefox, Chromium and Internet Explorer 10, with the different player options and everything works fine here.

Most problems nowadays arise from using the Flash Player. Please try using either "HTML5 Audio" or the "Experimental (jscwlib)" player in your CW settings.

Fabian

Posted: 2020-05-23 13:32
Congratulations to you Fabian and all of us.
 And thanks from the Russian-speaking users)

Posted: 2020-05-23 19:28
Hi Fabian....

Well I always use Firefox .... and my Firefox Browser had just updated when the problem started; I have NO idea Why!

Well I went into CW Settings like you said .... changed it to "HTML5 Audio", and IT WORKED!

You're a Genius! Much thanks, Fabian.

Cas in Wyoming
Administrator

Posted: 2020-05-23 20:41
Hi Cas,

thanks for the feedback. The Flash player plugin was disabled by default in recent Firefox versions, for security reasons. Few websites use Flash nowadays and it's mostly considered an obsolete technology. LCWO.net still offers it as a way to accommodate old browsers, but sooner or later it will also be removed from this site.

Enjoy LCWO!

Fabian

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.