Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (14)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: K and M together

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2009-09-09 05:23
i can do fine but once i try KMU together its when everything bombs :(

Should i stick with K and M for a while or should i keep trying KMU? To me for some reason M and U sound so similar :( when together.

Thank you in advance for the help.

BTW im brand new to CW so be gentle lol :)

Posted: 2009-09-11 07:07
If you can do K and M fine, then it's pointless to stick with that, you'll never progress. Keep trying KMU, you'll get there in the end.

Steve

Posted: 2009-09-27 16:07
just my opinion too James, don't stick on the stuff you already managed to copy correctly .. you'll have some "plateaus" while learning the signs .. thats quite normal ..
I would suggest only to move back in the lessons when you really start to make errors even between the letters you learned before.
Jens

Posted: 2009-10-06 17:19
M and U I'm fine on, for me it's K and R, since they're sort of the inverse of each other. My brain seems to mix them up and although I'll hear a K, I write an R. Figures.

But, rather than stick with what I've already learned anyway, I'm with the previous two replies - just keep doing it, infuriating as it can be. Sooner or later you'll either learn it or smash the computer, either of which solve the problem. :)

Posted: 2009-11-07 22:02
Although it may not help it might make you feel better. I am just starting and don't know either of the 3 letters.

Posted: 2009-11-08 00:28
I am an old timer, having had both a ham and a commercial ticket back in the 1940's. I just got another ham ticket a couple of years ago after a break of about 65 years. I have been feeling pretty foolish when I have been on the air the last few days trying to copy even slow code again, and really messing up. So, my advice is, be patient and just keep plugging away. Jim Conklin KE7NMA
[deleted]

Posted: 2009-11-25 12:31
As far as I know you are not binded to use K M U, when you mess M and U omit the K and exercise with M and U only.

@James V Conklin,
I was abt 40 years qrt, and after exrcising for a while back on speed.

Posted: 2009-11-25 14:50
I'm an old timer too, and I'm struggling to re-learn the code. My advice is to keep at it, it comes, it just takes time. Be patient you will get it. It takes me about one week for each new character. I could go faster if I spent more time each day, I spend only about 15 minutes, they recommed 30 minutes. One thing I can say is that I believe when I finsh the 40 characters, I will know the code better than I ever did, thank you very much Fabian.

Posted: 2009-12-16 20:35
Hey James -
two things you can do - 1) reduce speed. Maybe it'll be easier at a slower speed; 2)Use the 'custom' option on code groups and work on just U and M together. Again - start slow and raise the speed as you get better.

Don't forget to have faith in yourself! You'll get it!

ex animo-
Jo

Posted: 2009-12-18 08:30
I have justed started learning and I am still on the K & M lesson. When I was 18cpm & 10 wpm, no matter how well I thought I did the lesson the result was always between 24 & 30%, or about 70-80%. Then I slowed the wpm speed down to 5wpm and was able to copy perfectly and it still gave me this score.
Also the character line of the results always shows the first 5 as green (occasionally there are some red ones) and then the rest of the line is in red characters.
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
Administrator

Posted: 2009-12-18 08:48
Mh, sounds like you are missing the spaces, or place them wrong? The groups always consist of 5 characters, then a space, then another 5 characters.

The text entry should look like

and the result should then look like

73, Fabian DJ1YFK

Posted: 2009-12-18 09:12
Thanks for your prompt reply and suggestions.
I did not realise that I had to type the space between the groups. I have tried a couple and I am now over 90%. Thanks
Administrator

Posted: 2009-12-18 09:15
Great.

Note to self: Add warning if an user submits his whole received text without or with too little spaces. Not difficult to detect...

73, Fabian DJ1YFK

Posted: 2009-12-20 12:13
Back to KB3SKU James:

I always mixed up 5 and h. Then i set the "custom" option on only these 2 characters and learned to listen to the "melody" of the characters not to count the dots. Because I only trained these 2 characters, after 2 days I safely could hear the difference. Although it is not exactly your problem, but might help.
DL2MAY Mike

Posted: 2010-01-08 22:12
I have taught code for years and use a different order for the letters learned. I know how to check those letters I want the students to learn this week but am curious as to whether all the letters I've checked are sent randomly or at letters showing up later in the Koch order being sent more often? I have done several practice runs and can't be sure by observing. I know that G4FON puts in more letters that are later in the list than those earlier. Great program and I'm about to start another code class in 2 weeks. Think we'll use LCWO this time! 73, W4QO/JIM

Posted: 2010-01-08 22:17
Previous post - meant to say "or are letters showing up later" .. here is the order of the early letters I teach - ESTONIA and MDLURCH are the first two sets. Now for example, is the letter O sent more often in the Code Groups because it is 19th letter in the Koch sequence? Thank you.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-01-09 13:54
@ W4QO-Jim

When you download from http://www.justlearnmorsecode.com/ the program, you can play your own textfiles as one of the options.

It is easy to program to make a textfile with the characters you desire and the probability of occurance of each character in that file.

When you think that can be helpfull I offer you to make that program for free, takes half an hour or so, such that you gave in the desired characters and their probability and the length of the desired output text file.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $