Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (30)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: typing speed

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-03-31 14:12
just started the course lesson one.......as well as having to practise the characters etc does anyone have issues (on a keyboard) actually typing the letters and hitting the spacebar ? once you trip up your lost :)

Posted: 2020-03-31 15:02
wolfy1:
just started the course lesson one.......as well as having to practise the characters etc does anyone have issues (on a keyboard) actually typing the letters and hitting the spacebar ? once you trip up your lost :)

Hi

Everyone who isn't a proficient typist has issues . . .

The worst issue ( which I hope you won't encounter )
is
forming a direct link between a morse character
and its particular ( alphbetical character's ) key
missing out the actual meaning
so when you come to head copy you have to start again.

i.e if you can't copy type based on the alphabet,
you may ( well ) be better writing down what you decode
so
you actually get which letter goes with which morse

YMMV

good luck anyway

cb

Posted: 2020-04-15 19:40
I've been writing it down on a notepad and transposing it after the lesson is over. I can write longhand faster than I can think of which finger to move where on a keyboard. This has helped.

I'm limited to how fast I can write so it's about 5wpm effective speed while I'm listening to 20wpm.

I'm stuck on about lesson 15 and I've hit my wall. Trying to push through though. Good luck to you! 73.

Posted: 2020-04-16 12:02
KY4TPR:
I'm stuck on about lesson 15 and I've hit my wall.

Hitting a wall happened to me several times during the 40 lessons. If you carry on trying to push through for too long without progress, you may get demoralised and give up. That is the trap that many learners fall into.

If you're stuck for a while, try changing something:
** change character speed (up or down)
** change character spacing (more; don't cling to a speed that's too fast)
** try one of the other LCWO tools
Break things up and then come back to where you were before.

Even if that break doesn't improve things, it will help to make your practice more enjoyable. And if you're enjoying it, you're less likely to give up.

Walls are frustrating, I know. Tell us when this one falls over in front of you.

Posted: 2020-04-16 22:56
KY4TPR:

I'm stuck on about lesson 15 and I've hit my wall. Trying to push through though. Good luck to you! 73.

Hey .
Do not be upset . I'm stuck for the third time too. In lesson 20, I did 250 exercises and spent almost two weeks. Paradoxically, my accuracy in the second week was only getting lower. At some point, I just quit this lesson and started the next one. Even the two new next signs almost did not worsen my speed indicators. It happens .
After that there was another crisis and now I'm on the third)
Just ignore it.
The word exercise helps me a lot. This is a lot of fun and I don't expect any success at 20/20 at first. And when, I suddenly begin to understand something, I just think that I won a prize. And I have more and more prizes. It's fun .

Posted: 2020-04-17 02:11
I've had some limited success increasing the group spacing setting - I find my typing can catch up before the next group starts. Morse machine is where slow typing really frustrates me - can't go much faster than 7wpm even though char speed is up at 28

Posted: 2020-04-17 10:26
K6IZ:
I've had some limited success increasing the group spacing setting - I find my typing can catch up before the next group starts. Morse machine is where slow typing really frustrates me - can't go much faster than 7wpm even though char speed is up at 28

I have similar problems.
I can easily recognize characters in morse mashine at 25wpm. But when I try to switch from 20/4 speed to 20/5 speed in "exercises", I have a lot of mistakes. And no matter how much exercise I do, the situation does not change. I just do not pay attention to it.
I do the "word" exercises at a speed of 20/20, and I see that I recognize words faster and faster.
I will do the exercises at the lowest speed I can

Posted: 2020-04-17 10:48
-if you type 20/5 then you type a character every 2.5 seconds.

If you have troubles with tht certainly it is not typing speed, but speed to recognize / decode the character.

Gerd

Posted: 2020-04-18 01:49
Calculus can't be correct Gerd

Posted: 2020-04-18 08:55
The conversion factor of wpm to cpm is 5, so 5 wpm corresponds to 25 cpm. With 25 cpm A letter is played every 60 seconds / 25 = 2.4 seconds.

As has been discussed for years here: (1) the true speed depends on the text used in excercise (2) LCWO is not always accurate in speed.

No matter how inaccurate my argument is: The hint to "Tonyd" is that although his impression is that he has typing problems his real problem is decoding speed. Practice will help and it may take a bit longer than expected.

Posted: 2020-04-18 15:05
df9ts:
although his impression is that he has typing problems his real problem is decoding speed. Practice will help and it may take a bit longer than expected.

Fully agree, but at 20/5 the pause between two characters is 0.75 second, so after completion of the character at speed 20 he/she has 0,72 second to decode and type it out before next character starts. That is possible.

That is impossible at 20/10 so then you have to decode and type out at least partially during the reception of the next character.

This is an argument not to go below x/10 with x greater or equal 15

Lea

Posted: 2020-04-18 17:54

Hello .
I have been working on this site not so long ago. But I already had some special observations.
I notice that even with the high speed of training on MorseMashine, I still analyze the sound after it is over. But when I do MorseMashine, it’s not very noticeable. Thus, it makes little sense to increase the speed of MorseMashine over 20-22 WPM because it does not improve the recognition of groups in the exercises. But these may be my personal characteristics.

Posted: 2020-04-19 01:38
The conversion factor of wpm to cpm is 5, so 5 wpm corresponds to 25 cpm. With 25 cpm A letter is played every 60 seconds / 25 = 2.4 seconds.

As has been discussed for years here: (1) the true speed depends on the text used in excercise (2) LCWO is not always accurate in speed.

No matter how inaccurate my argument is: The hint to "Tonyd" is that although his impression is that he has typing problems his real problem is decoding speed. Practice will help and it may take a bit longer than expected.

Posted: 2020-04-19 22:10
I'm stuck at lesson 2 because my brain can't process that the u is different than the k...

Posted: 2020-04-20 11:56
test:
I'm stuck at lesson 2 because my brain can't process that the u is different than the k...

Can you hear the difference?
Y = more practice
N = try slower ch speed, try differnet auto freq

How many attempts have you made ?

Lots = try slower char

not lots = more practice

Are you typing in at the same time ?
Y = Are you able to type anyway ?
N = try writing or just listening

Posted: 2020-04-20 20:05
df9ts:

Perhaps I do not understand correctly. But I set the speed to 20 and the effective speed to 6, and a random number of characters in the group. The duration of the exercise is 1min.
As a result, I get 53 characters in ten groups in 56 seconds. I use the character set from the first seven exercises.
This is about one second per charаcter with a pause.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.