Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文
Who is online? (21)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Practice test duration incorrect?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-03-29 07:05
I'm a new user just starting to learn so I'm on lesson 1. I have the practice test duration set to 1 min, but the test is actually 2 mins? Can I change it to 1 min? I find it hard to concentrate after about 90 sec and I need a break!

Posted: 2020-03-31 00:30
I tested lesson 1 with 20/20 20/10 and 20/5 it stops after one minute. You are right now with 7 exercises busy with lesson 2, so I wish you gd luck.

Posted: 2020-04-02 06:00
nonagenarian, thanks for responding. Perhaps I'm not understanding how this works because I'm not getting the results you are. I'm using Win7. I notice a difference with Chrome vs Firefox.

With Chrome the Play/Pause window displays the elapsed time/total time whereas Firefox only displays the elapsed time and does not give total time. But, neither stops after 1 minute. With 20/20 both stopped at about 1:20

I notice when I change the from 20/20 to 20/10 to 20/5 the total time changes every time. And it's always longer then 1 min. Is this correct behavior?

Lesson 1, duration set to 1 min, 20/20 extra word spacing = 3, start delay = 5, random group length 2-7, the total time displayed is 1:33 not 1:00, and when I time it, it actually played for 1:20

At 20/10 with everything else the same, 1 min duration, the total time displayed in Chrome is 1:56. In Firefox it actually played 1:59 (including 5 sec start delay).

At 20/5 the total time displayed is 2:20.

Is decreasing the Effective Speed supposed to increase the total time given the same 1 min duration? Why?

Regardless, I just don't get the results you did. I'd take a screenshot and show you but I don't think we can post images in this forum. I must be doing something wrong? Each test is much longer than the 1 min duration I've chosen.
Administrator

Posted: 2020-04-02 07:47
Extra word spacing makes the groups longer.

The group length is calculated to be about right if effective = character speed and no extra word spacing.

Fabian

Posted: 2020-04-02 15:52
Thanks Fabian for clarifying this for me!

I see now the durations:
20/20 extra word spacing=0, start delay=0, 1:00
20/10 1:01
20/5 1:10

So duration doesn't mean your actual test length because it could be longer than your chosen duration if you choose extra word spacings or a different effective speed.

It represents the calculated time (duration) that the test would theoretically take if sent at 20/20 with 0 word spacing, so changing these settings will affect the actual test length (typically making it longer than the theoretical duration).

Is my understanding more or less correct? This is an impressive piece of coding!
Administrator

Posted: 2020-04-02 16:09
That's correct. And I am open to improving it to make the length match the setting better, even when the effective speed and/or the word spacing is increased... just never got around to do it. Too many projects, too little time :-)

Fabian

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.