Polski PortuguÍs
Rom‚nă Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย TŁrkÁe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (15)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Entry level speed

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-03-17 21:47
Hello.
I recently started learning the morse code using the koch method on this site.
I read the forum and noticed that everyone sets the speed settings very high. I set the speed to 18/3 and the pause between the words is 3 seconds but I still have 20% errors. So far I'm in lesson 20. Tell me what speed did you set during the training?

Posted: 2020-03-18 00:17
You have to proceed to next lesson only when you have 10% errors or less,
It seems to me best speed is between 20/5 and 20/10

Posted: 2020-03-18 02:14
hi
i started from 20/10.
from lesson 10 reduced to 20/7 and hold to lesson 40 but sometimes briefly changed the speed to 20/10 or 20/12 or 25/7 or other for brain stimulation :)
long practice removes errors.

Posted: 2020-03-18 07:33
20/10 throughout.

Posted: 2020-03-18 09:48
Tonyd:
Hello.
I recently started learning the morse code using the koch method on this site.
I read the forum and noticed that everyone sets the speed settings very high. I set the speed to 18/3 and the pause between the words is 3 seconds but I still have 20% errors. So far I'm in lesson 20. Tell me what speed did you set during the training?

You quote 20% errors, but you don't tell us how many runs through the same lesson gets you to 80 success . . .

One ?
Fifty one ?

Did you get to 90% success during all the other "lessons" ( it's more just repeat training / asessment than actually a lesson )

You are at the point where most people think they are not making progress and give up . . .

You can run at 15/2 through this phase if you need to,
but
remember to treat each character as a single unit eg di-di-dah-di rather than di di dah di.

Take into account that your hearing might be affecting how easily you distinguish the di-dahs.
If you choose an audio frequency that has a bad response in your hearing then that can have an effect.
Try low and high audio frequencies
NB -lots of peoploe don't agree with me here, but if your hearing response isn't quite flat then it WILL make a differece
Don't have the volume too high, else your ears will distort

good luck
stick with it

cb

Posted: 2020-03-18 10:21
cb:

You quote 20% errors, but you don't tell us how many runs through the same lesson gets you to 80 success . . .

One ?
Fifty one ?

CB he started the 6-th of this month so he proceeded to lesson 20 in 11 days. In those 11 days he did 281 exercises, so on the average each lesson 14 times. And on the average 25 exercises each and every day.

Looking at the fact he lives in the former CCCP, remember what is said by ID cs about the decadent western world.

Best advice IMHO for Tonyd will be to start over again with 20/10 and proceed to next lesson when he claims 90% for the first time.

I estimate he will reach lesson 40 within 3 month from now, those guys know how to work.

Posted: 2020-03-18 13:44
I am on lesson 5. I start each lesson at 20/10 with 1 extra space between words. I found the extra space between words has more impact on my accuracy than the effective wpm. Once I get that consistently above 90%, I try to increase the effective wpm one step at a time to 12 or 13. I am not in a rush to get through the lessons. I would rather learn it and not struggle once I get on the air with CW.

Posted: 2020-03-18 13:57
Stehpinkler:
CB he started the 6-th of this month so he proceeded to lesson 20 in 11 days. In those 11 days he did 281 exercises, so on the average each lesson 14 times. And on the average 25 exercises each and every day.

Ah . . I can't see any of that data . . .

Stehpinkler:

Looking at the fact he lives in the former CCCP, remember what is said by ID cs about the decadent western world.

He might live anywhere
I don't care
There is plenty of "decadence" everywhere . . .

Stehpinkler:

Best advice IMHO for Tonyd will be to start over again with 20/10 and proceed to next lesson when he claims 90% for the first time.

Go faster.

Might work.

We'll see.

Stehpinkler:

I estimate he will reach lesson 40 within 3 month from now, those guys know how to work.

There are differences between working hard, working long hours and working efficiently.

However hard you work and however high your motivation
- aptitude and youth are the main factors in how quick you learn morse and how fast a speed you get to.

LOTS of people start morse
in-the-sure-and-certain-hope
of learning in a maybe couple of months or so and often work accordingly.

Reality is often a little different - hence the drop-out rate.

Posted: 2020-03-18 15:16
kx8n:
I am on lesson 5. I start each lesson at 20/10 with 1 extra space between words. I found the extra space between words has more impact on my accuracy than the effective wpm. Once I get that consistently above 90%, I try to increase the effective wpm one step at a time to 12 or 13. I am not in a rush to get through the lessons. I would rather learn it and not struggle once I get on the air with CW.

Good idea Glenn. It trains your play-back very short memory, which is what you need during pipelining.

I explain: With Morse Machine you hear a character and you type it out before the next character is presented.
Your speed is limited to 5 or 7 wpm, due to your reaction time. Even the fastes telegraphers can't improve that speed.

When you type previous characters while listening to the next one, your speed is - due to parallel processing in your mind - only limited by genetical factors and exercising, to the range 40 to 100 wpm.

Posted: 2020-03-21 11:53
nonagenarian:
You have to proceed to next lesson only when you have 10% errors or less,
It seems to me best speed is between 20/5 and 20/10

Thanks . But the speed of 20/5 is too high for me. Even when moving from 18/3 to 18/4, the number of errors increases several times.

Posted: 2020-03-21 12:02
kx8n:

I tried first to set the lowest speed that the settings allow. Something like 10/3 and five seconds between words and two characters in a group. It turned out to just learn the letters themselves. But any minimal change in speed leads to a strong pullback in recognition skills. So I can learn all 40 characters in a couple of days without difficulty. But I canít do anything with them even at the slowest speed. It would be nice to have instructions for learning the code on this site.

Posted: 2020-03-21 13:57
I suggest you set the WPM high, like 20 and the effective speed to 8 or more. The extra word spacing I think is extra Dits not seconds and a dit is only a few milliseconds. I also set the start delay to 3 seconds. I use Morse Machine on and off for many sessions. Once I feel I am running on autopilot, I try the lesson. Some lessons I get through with a consistent accuracy above 90% in a day, some take me many days. I am taking to heart that I am learning a foreign language and I am horrible with foreign languages. I have also found I need a very quiet area with earphones to focus on the sounds. The quieter the space, the more accurate I am. If a family member walks in or there are other noises, I am quickly distracted. Also, when copying, if I miss a character because I wasn't clear what it was I skip ahead to the next recognizable character and start writing again. Then, when I enter it in the text window, I enter a character not in the lesson where I missed. This way I can tell how many errors from missed characters versus how many I copied wrong. What I find is that I have few errors from copying wrong and only errors from misses. As I progress through practice, my errors from wrong copy go to zero first and then my errors from missed letters go down until I am above 90%. Stick with it, take your time, get it right.

Posted: 2020-03-21 17:02
Tonyd:
I tried first to set the lowest speed that the settings allow.
Something like 10/3 and five seconds between words and two characters in a group.
It turned out to just learn the letters themselves.
But any minimal change in speed leads to a strong pullback in recognition skills.
So I can learn all 40 characters in a couple of days without difficulty.

Did you get through all 40 lessons at any speed ??

Tonyd:

But I canít do anything with them even at the slowest speed.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by I can't do anything with them . . .

Tonyd:

It would be nice to have instructions for learning the code on this site.

I will make a guess based on what happend to some other people. . .

You know all the morse characters,
but
you have a job recognising them when you hear them at say 18/4 ( which speed you mention ).

If so this is quite normal.

A few people learn in a very short time,
but
as you are building an automatic response:-

hear code - > letter pps into your head from nowhere

it can take ages for normal people - the rest of us.

How long were you expecting learning morse to take you ???

To get used to hearing the characters you can run at /2 if you need,
but
you should run the char speed as fast as is easily comfortable to hear,
so
you hear it as a single entity rather than several dits and dahs in succession.

Also
beware of overdoing it and getting fatigue at first.

Run more 1 - 2 min sessions rather than fewer 5 minutue sessions ( for example )

You don't need to measure your speed all the time.

Listen to lots of morse. repeat repeat repeat etc

cb

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $