Polski PortuguÍs
Rom‚nă Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย TŁrkÁe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (20)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Word Training scoring

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-03-12 13:08
I'm using Word Training as part of my daily practice routine. My normal continuous plain text head copy speed is 12 wpm so Word Training at 15 wpm is my way of pushing my speed up. Therefore, for my last 56 attempts, my parameters have been set to 15/15 with a maximum word length of 6 characters.

Over that period my average score has remained constant, and yet I feel that I've made an improvement - I get words right first time more often, and take fewer attempts if I don't.

And, my goodness me, it really punishes your score if you get just one letter wrong (and therefore, that word wrong).

I'm not discouraged because I enjoy Word Training and I feel I'm making progress. But that constant average score is a bummer.

Does anyone else have any experience of Word Training on a regular basis?

Posted: 2020-03-12 13:23

I'm not a great fan of all this speed scoring.

Have your considered trying some mp3 files of an ebook.

You soon know whether you decoded it correctly or not . . .

cb

Posted: 2020-03-12 13:58
I like to think that I have a balanced approach to my learning - one third of my daily training is Word Training at 15 wpm; one third is listening to mp3 files (currently, of famous speeches) at 12 wpm; and one third is sending practice at 12 wpm.

So my progress in morse code is not dependant on success at Word Training - I enjoy it because its a "head game". I'm just curious as to why my subjective feeling of improvement is not reflected in the objective scoring.

Posted: 2020-03-13 00:22
When you have a constant speed and a constant max wordlength the score is limited to speed times length times 25 I suppose. Number of repetitions don't count as penalty.

Posted: 2020-03-13 06:46
I very much agree with Chris, I don't really pay too much attention to speed scoring.

I use Word Training, combined with listening to ebooks and sending back random groups with key and paddle.

Word Training, like Plain Text Training, is nice because it gives one a sense of achievement and is a bit of a game, but both have major limitations:

1. One isn't training numbers or special characters like "/", which do come up in QSOs.

2. You can make an educated guess at the word by hearing the first few letters and the last letters and fudge what is in between.

With Plain Text Training, I know easily 70-80% of the proverbs by heart already, so a couple words here a couple words there, and you've got it.

Both are very helpful to stretch your speed, without too much angst, but gives a false sense of where one actually is.

3. Word Training scores depend heavily on the length of the word, so if in one session you have mainly short words, your score will be lower, even if you don't make a single mistake than in a another session in which you make 2 or even 3 mistakes but which includes several words of 8-10 characters.

The best for serious training is Code Groups or Call Sign Training because you will test almost all the characters and there is no context to help guessing.

So, I try to include one of these in my training session.

Posted: 2020-03-13 12:36
Okay, thanks for the advice. I do understand what you say about the limitations of plain text for learning numbers and special characters. It's just that listening to random characters can a dreary slog at times. Having got past lesson 40, its good to put one's morse to some entertaining use for a change!

As regards to guessing what comes next, isn't that what standard format, terminology and vocabulary in morse QSOs is all about? Having a good idea of what's coming next makes it easier to have a successful and smooth contact. Or have I got that wrong?

And is there any way to practice the standard format of QSO's without actually going on the air?

Posted: 2020-03-13 16:45
So why not both plain text and code groups in the same practices session? You control the plain text (words, cw abbreviations, Q-signals), the frequency of code groups, lengths of words and groups etc. This is trivial to generate, I've posted about it before, but seems like Stehpinkler is the only one (I think) who has looked at it.

Posted: 2020-03-13 17:16
Already got a private email asking to say more, so...

Get a single file tool (cwpt2.exe) from http://qsl.net/wa2nfn, there is also a large randomized list of words to use as input if you like.

Using almost all default options plus the few below generated the sample below.

cwpt2.exe -mixedMode=2 -in=randWords -lesson=23

,,lsp popularity kjf5n cutback wp5if damaging wgm5k liturgy r,wzt mystify tzgre seaplanes
ntpzn headline gpfuv heron ozy.u dissenter m.fen prosaic 5ttay shamefully 5vnfa scooters
ovojw saddens 5s,ni blower y,wun paedophile slr,k unicycle ukmio dhow gkg=e volley
5.tzy quaffing jikma burgled o.mle tautly .uaig vitalise pr.,u revivalist nff.a bomber

If you want all 40 lessons, that option can be dropped. If you want code groups less frequent, increase the mixedMode number. If you want MORE number and punctuation practice you can add either -prefix=1 and/or -suffix=3 (see below)

cwpt2.exe -mixedMode=2 -in=rw -prefix=1 -suffix=3

xkawn 6poisons4 m95rg 9awarded.76 2mzir ,bison=65 yeipk =marginalia1= rfk4a =anxiously2
n?f3u 3creeps1= 9s7q8 0popularity1 o8rp= 4scooters23 6.78p =superstore1/2 /e2xs ,overlooked87
u1k1s .umpires3 ,3.jv ?casualness4/. xl,b6 7muses7?7 sfhe9 5phantom00 /mo9g 6cutback?
mj4v8 3exhale8 9w5be 5sinusoidal.37 ox?/b 9sticking32 3ocnn 4bugler2,7 dofg2 3spatters73
v3b7r 1paedophile0? nyxt8 0vitalise63= 6z/?c 3revivalist85 1d.ja 6tradein4 914dl 0tempo9

You won't do much guessing of the plain text ;-), every execution the output is different; there are many other options.

Posted: 2020-03-14 06:49
foggycoder:
Okay, thanks for the advice. I do understand what you say about the limitations of plain text for learning numbers and special characters. It's just that listening to random characters can a dreary slog at times.

Life is a long dreary slog!

As to QSOs, the hardest part more often than not, is getting the call sign right, especially some of the Eastern European ones (Slovakia is notorious).

After that, indeed, you do have a lot of context to rely upon.

Wa2nfn's idea is excellen: a combination of both is the way to go. I just combine them in separate exercises, you could do it in one as he suggests.

Posted: 2020-03-14 10:20
Okay. Sounds good. Thanks!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $