Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (36)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Comfortable pace or mad dash?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-03-06 18:01
I have a question on speed. I've heard it said that you should try to copy at speeds a little faster than you can easily manage. But I wonder is this true?

I am working at a setting of 18/16. When I run three-letter words through convert text to cw, I can correctly write down 90 percent of them but it feels like I am in a race -- I am scrambling. Would I do better to slow things down and gradually step up the speed so that I am always copying virtually 100 percent? Thanks for entertaining this question. Also, I saw on the forum where someone wrote about speeds of 18.1, 18.3, 18.5. Will the system accept these decimal point increments and step up the speedy just part of one word per minute?
Larry

Posted: 2020-03-06 21:56
If you are trying to speed up then you have to go faster than is comfortable.

If you are learning the code then you don't benefit from going slower then you can manage
but
if you go faster then you can manage you will end up going slower in the end
or
you will find it hasn't sunk in and give up due to lack of progress.

You learn by repetition . . . . until it becomes automatic.

Some people progress quickly ( say 2 weeks to 25wpm ), others take a year or more to get to 20wpm then top out.

One size of advise does not fit all.

Only you can say how you are progressing.

If you haven't hit 25wpm in a fortnight you will need one or more of the following . .

a reason for learning

persistance

commitment

continuous progress

some support from others at the same level

time spent - time made available

concentration

relaxation ( sometimes being half asleep works wonders )

quiet

an mp3 player

the inclination to try a few alternatives
eg. a different audio pitch,
different headphones
ear plugs or low volume level if your ears don't like dits
note - if you can' hear it easily you can't learn it by repetion

the independence and confidence to make your own way despite a plethora of conflicting advise from people of differing aptitudes

some technique - avoid learning to type (de facto) at the same time, else you will have to type all the time becasue you linked morse to key

good luck finding your way . .
don't give up
don't compete ( yet )

cb

Posted: 2020-03-06 23:37
Thanks for the suggestions, Chris. I'm sure you are right that one size doesn't fit all, and that you have to find your own way. I'll keep at it and try a few different things here and there. Thanks again.
Larry

Posted: 2020-03-09 05:10
you might want to look at somethings that I have coded in a tool called cwpt2 at http://qsl.net/wa2nfn - it was built one size doesn't fit all. I didn't invent any of the features, but I took ideas and suggestions from many experts and built them into cwpt2 or tweaked some ideas.

Many directly use capabilities that LCWO has but doesn't expose directly. Several are speed related.

The webpage has a few links to demo some of them;the read-me fully explains them all.

Look specifically at the slow/fast cycling feature, the random speed feature, and the ramp up speed feature.

73 Bill

P.S. let the forum users know if anything helps get you past a sticking point

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $