Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (32)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Some suggestions

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-02-23 19:58
I've gotten through a few lessons and I have a couple suggestions.
1. Add a few seconds at the beginning of the audio to let the user move from the mouse to the keyboard (or to pick up their pencil).
2. During lessons, I would really appreciate it if at least 1/3 of the characters were the new character. I've tried lots of code trainings, and by the time you get to the last letter you only hear it twice during the lesson. I always feel very confident about the early letters, but the last ones (usually numbers and symbols) kick my butt.

Posted: 2020-02-23 21:20
Ok ok, I found the start delay setting. But I would really like to see the second suggestion.

Posted: 2020-02-23 21:21
You can set the start delay in the 'Change CW settings'. I have it set at 3 seconds to give me time to get ready.

Posted: 2020-02-24 00:00
In general when a new character is added your speed drops down or your error rate increases.

Your brain gets confused and has to adapt to the larger set.

May be you think: No problem with the known characters and when I hear something else it is the new character.

Not so, you have to compete a fall back on all characters.

So I basically support the suggestion of Greg, in the past DJ1YFK increased already somewhat the probability of occurence of the newly introduced character.

However I support modified. I explain:

Suppose you are closing the cap from 20/5 to 9/9 like earlier suggested on this website by repeating lesson 40 again and again with lowering the 20 and increasing the 5 in 20/5 to the goal 9/9 and you should be overfeeded with the last learned character X in lesson 40 ...

So overfeed the new character in the first exercises and lower it when progressing,

However it is easier to just exercise with Morse Machine before you start the new Koch lesson.

Posted: 2020-02-24 18:28
The letter frequency were two design factors I put into cwpt2.exe to over come (if desired). First instead of simply creating random text is code groups, I do an even distribution to the extent mathematically possible. That is if you make code groups for the letters - KMRU for example the occurrences of each letter will be equal. Some programs might give you 10x more of one than another because its simply random.

Secondly, because the user supplies the desired characters to the tool as a string (some times theres an advantage to not having fancy check boxes) you could give the option value as: KMUUUUR
so when code groups are generated U will occur 4x more likely than the others, this lets use stress what ever character(s) you want more help with.

here is the first case with just 5 words of 5 letters:

./cwpt2.exe -codeGroups -cglist="kmur" -num=5
kummr rkmrr rkkum mkrku kumuu

7k, 7u, 6m. 6r (because 25/4 does let them be exactly equal)

Now adding a few extra "u"s I got.

./cwpt2.exe -codeGroups -cglist="kmuuuur" -num=5
ukkuu muruu uuuuu mmkru mruuk

4k, 14u, 4m, 4r

Simple I hope. http://qsl.net/wa2nfn download an give it a try when you need it, or have use for other features. The output generated needs to be palyed through a tutor. such as LCWOs "Convert text to CW"

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.