Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (16)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: plain text vs code groups - why not both at the same time?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-01-28 19:31
Lots of good advice lately. It stimulated me to enhance my practice text tool cwpt2(qsl.net/wa2nfn) for plain text & code groups in the same practice session. Its described in the readme example 22 on website. Can't fit here. A simple ex. is below, cut and paste into "Convert text to CW" for a preview. Look at idea, not content - everything is configurable.

|f600|w25 four two nine |f750|w20 ha?l50 |f600|w25 nine ten five |f750|w20 tof=u9 |f600|w25 six four four

Example 22:

cwpt2.exe -min=2 -max=4 -cgmin=6 -cgmax=8 -mixedMode=3

This input file for this example is a simple list of short words. The first line of output follows:

on at of 3,a??4 no he is a4263?/ and hat four ......
====== =======

NOTE: In the above, after every 3 words (mixedMose=3) we get a code group.
We can add an option -MMR (mixed mode random) which gives a 50/50 chance that a code group will be
suppressed to lessen predictability. (new as of 1/27/2020)

cwpt2.exe -min=2 -max=4 -cgmin=6 -cgmax=8 -mixedMode=3 -MMR

NOTE: The stretch below with no code group due to -MMR.

on at of 3,a??4 no he is a4263?/ and hat four in and on hat he of ?.23d3 he so .....
====== ======= ======

*** IF YOU ARE USING LWCO/EBOOK2CW FOR PLAYBACK AND mixedMode=X, YOU CAN ALSO USE SPEED CHANGES ***

Typically people can copy plain text faster than they can copy codeGroups, with this in mind you
might want to have the copy above configured with inline speed changes so that plain text "words"
could be sent at a higher speed than the code groups. To achive this, we use two more ebook options
we've seen before; EB_LOW sets the low(slow) speed of the code group, and EB_STEP the incremental
speed to add to EB_LOW to get the higher speed to use for the plain text.

cwpt2.exe -min=2 -max=4 -cgmin=6 -cgmax=8 -mixedMode=3 -EB_LOW=20 -EB_STEP=5

|w25 two four nine |w20 fl,we0 |w25 four ten one |w20 yb251c |w25 one five nine |w20 ajrr7h |w25
---- +++++++++++++ ---- ====== ---- ++++++++++++ ---- ====== ---- ++++++++++++ ---- ====== ----

You see the copy starts with the speed at 25 wpm, thats EB_LOW=20 + EB_STEP=5.
You see prior to each code group the speed drops.

In the above generated text for LCWO (you can paste this line into "Convert text to cw" screen)
the inline speed changes are underlined with dashes, the plain text (played at high speed) is underlined
with pluses, the code groups are underlined with equals.

Of course -MMR could also be used as previously described (not shown again).

As shown in example 16a, if the user desires two other options EB_SF (slow to fast transition) and/or
EB_FS (fast to slow) can be given a string (character(s), ProSign) which provides an audible alert
in morse code that the speed will transition. If used, the alert string is sent PRIOR to the speed change.

Just to demonstate, let EB_SF=,, and EB_FS=??

|w25 four two nine ??|w20 ha?l50 ,,|w25 nine ten five ??|w20 tof=u9 ,,|w25 six four four
-- -- -- --

Above the simple alert strings are underlined with dashes, they occur just before the LCWO speed
change.

*** What might be more fun, is instead of using EB_SF and EB_FS having some characters as an alert,
to instead make use of another LCWO feature, that is change the tone frequency of the code groups.
The line below uses freqeucy changes, you can cut and paste this into LCWO's "Convert text to CW"
to try it. (To generate this I used -EB_FS="|f750" and -EB_SF="|f600" the initial tone of 600 hz
can be set in the browser of with -header="|f600".

|f600|w25 four two nine |f750|w20 ha?l50 |f600|w25 nine ten five |f750|w20 tof=u9 |f600|w25 six four four

========= =========
600hz 25wpm 750hz 20wpm

Posted: 2020-01-29 01:06
Thanks for the good work.

I suppose I possibly misunderstand the text on your website.

You have to handle the text first by placing delimiters with command for speed in case each word plays with different speed?. That is suggested by the example. Possibly the program does it, using the given parameters in the command line.

Nice for training when somebody else prepares the file, however when you train plain text it is IMHO not a good idea to read cut and past the text first. You have to exercise with unknown text to start with. Text like the ARRL offers at different speeds on their website, also for use of non members of the league is very useful for exercising. Take a higher speed and repeat the file on a daily basis till you copy it completely in your head.

Same idea of repeated words with different speed, the next speed must be lower not higher in order to prevent listening to a higher speed word that you know already what it is, because you decoded it already at the lower speed.

The LCWO Words section does it with fixed or increasing speed, and with a repeat opportunity that cancels further repetitions when decoded.

In your examples the | is used while you announced that now the ^ is used for compatibility with ebook2cw.

I will not use cwpt2 because when I should want some weird Morse I should write a little program to do it, which should cost less time than reading all those options. But people that do not master some programming language and don't want to learn it, it may be helpful.

Extended word spaces, which can be very educational in the proces of decoding words to decoding plain text, are easy to create by an editor global command that changes each space of a text file in a desired number of spaces.

HH

Posted: 2020-01-29 06:53
Everything is done by options. I can create an options file in less than a minute to create dozens of differnet types of copy as explained in the readme.

Every run and the copy is different using random number generators. I tried to make things that trainers don't already have, to give users more options to prevent boredom or just attack learning/practicefrom a different direction.

Below is an annotated options file that does the slow/fast cycling code which generated the MP3 I saved as qsl.net/wa2nfn/cw.mp3

The most time was writing the comments LOL

73 Bill

# this is an options file (say myopts) for cwpt2. with this, the command line is
# reduced to; cwpt2.exe -opt myopts

# all the options below could have been on the command line instead of or inaddition to using the options file
# e.g. cwpt2.exe -opt myopt -max=12 -num=50, now the word size is 12 over riding the 8 set in the file etc.

# sets the initial tone for LCWO, over riding what the browser is set to
header="|f680 "

# these set the word length to find in your chosen iput file
min=2
max=8

# this is your input file with "words" for your plain text copy
in=randWords

# this is the number of words for your practice session
num=30

# the following are all options which translate to LWCO options for speed, tone OR are
# related to playback in LCWO. You would NOT use any EB_xxxx options if you play back in a code
# tutor other than LCWO or ebook2cw

# these create a short tone, at a different frequency than your code practice (using a single E)
# they warn you of a speed change (they are optional)
# the "|S200 " is 200 ms of silence; "|fxxx " is the new tone to use until changed again
# Cahnge the E to a prosign or a T or whatever you like

EB_FS="|S200 |f860 E |S200 |f680 "
EB_SF="|S200 |f860 E |S200 |f680 "

# this is the slow wpm
EB_LOW=25

# this is added to EB_LOW to give the higher speed
EB_STEP=10

# these are the NUMBER of words to generate for the corresponding speed segments
EB_SLOW=3
EB_FAST=2

Posted: 2020-01-29 12:27
"# reduced to; cwpt2.exe -opt myopts "

I see, good idea, that makes it easy for daily use.

CWPT2 is also available for linux.

However with the option file, that can be copied from above posting, and changed as indicated by the comment lines info with some editor, makes life easy.

mni tks I will try it on a raspberry pi.

Posted: 2020-01-29 15:41
Downloading Linux version not succesful because the raspberry has not an AMD chip on board but some broadcom type. So machine code wouldn't match

Actually I learned CW from lessons that started the normal standard way of spacing but limited number of characters and with progress: words with the learned characters were implemented, so you ended up with full plain text at 12 wpm. As far as I remember I learned with that course recorded on magnetic tape within a month 12 wpm. Must be, I certainly should not spent much longer on it.

Posted: 2020-01-29 18:52
Yes you can have several options files created for different purposes, then for a minor change use the option file and just over ride the necessary options on the cmd line rather than change the file.

For example, I often create with a small number of words to be created (-num=20 in the file) and I let the output to to the screen. After a quick visual check thats it what I wanted I set -num=300 and -out=output.txt. Then in LCWOs "Convert text to CW" I use the new "read from file" instead of cut-and-paste.

RASPBERRY PI - I uploaded a version bt have no way to test LMK. Its qsl.net/wa2nfn/exe/raspberry/cwpt2
BTW its about 2G since its standalone exe needing no runtime env.

***** TO ALL: A simple test requires almost no effort. Just download. And run with all defaults to see something. For "words" run cwpt.exe -in=input.txt for code groups, cwpt2.exe -codeGroups

More than that do ./cwpt2.exe -help, and play with options, or skim the readme file and get a lot better idea of functionality (there is a lot)

Stay tuned I may repost a small item specific to LWCO playing.

73 Bill

Posted: 2020-01-29 19:34
wa2nfn:

RASPBERRY PI - I uploaded a version bt have no way to test LMK. Its qsl.net/wa2nfn/exe/raspberry/cwpt2
BTW its about 2G since its standalone exe needing no runtime env.

I could download cwpt2 with raspberry pi, it is no 2G but 1.8M. But can't default run it with ./cwpt2 because it is not defined as an executable according to rwxrwxrwx

After chmod 777 cwpt2
./cwpt2 says no such file or directory

Posted: 2020-01-31 04:23
can you show me:

ls -l cwpt2*
and
type cwpt2*

and you of course have execute permissions in the directory

Posted: 2020-01-31 05:50
I know nothing about pi.

If its in a download directory, that dir may not be in your PATH.

export PATH=$PATH:.

do: id and see that your id is the file owner and directory owner (ls -ld .)

chmod 755 should be fine if the rest is correct

LMK

Posted: 2020-01-31 20:43
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ ls -l
total 7796
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 1912904 Jan 31 20:35 cwpt2
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 1912904 Jan 31 20:36 cwpt2 (1)
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 2072544 Jan 31 20:31 cwpt2 (1).txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 2072544 Jan 31 20:31 cwpt2.txt
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ ./cwpt2
bash: ./cwpt2: Permission denied
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ chmod 777 cwpt2
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ ls -l
total 7796
-rwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 1912904 Jan 31 20:35 cwpt2
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 1912904 Jan 31 20:36 cwpt2 (1)
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 2072544 Jan 31 20:31 cwpt2 (1).txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 2072544 Jan 31 20:31 cwpt2.txt
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ ./cwpt2

open : no such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ export PATH=$PATH
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ ls -ld
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Jan 31 20:36 .
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $

Posted: 2020-02-01 01:58
I think it is working

the open looks like the error message

do:

./cwpt2 -help

or ./cwpt -in=sometextfile

I don't exactly that. but I changed some error detection code in that area to be clearer

Posted: 2020-02-01 18:59
Ah,

H4ere is my creenprint

pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ ./cwpt2 -help
Usage of ./cwpt2:
-DM int
Delimiter multiple, (if delimiter is used.) Between 1 and DM delimiter
strings are concatenated. (min 0, max 20)
-DR
Delimiter randomness, (if DM > 0) DR=true makes a delimiter randomly print on an instance-by-instance basis
-EB_FAST int
ebook2cw number of words to send at faster speed.
-EB_FS string
to alert transition from EB_LOW+EB_STEP for plain text to EB_LOW for codeGroup mixedMode
or EB_FAST text to EB_SLOW text.
-EB_LOW int
ebook2cw low wpm speed setting. (default 15)
-EB_NUM int
ebook2cw number of speed change steps.
-EB_RAMP
ebook2cw ramps speed up in steps (default false).
-EB_REPEAT int
ebook2cw times to repeat each word with increasing speed.
-EB_SF string
to alert transition from EB_LOW codeGroup to EB_LOW+EB_STEP for plain text in mixedMode
or EB_SLOW text to EB_FAST text,
-EB_SLOW int
ebook2cw number of words to send at slower speed.
-EB_STEP int
ebook2cw wpm speed change increment or decrement. (default 5)
-MMR
Mixed-Mode-Random, randomizes the output of a code group in mixed mode.
-NR
Non-Randomized output words read from input.
-caps
Print output in all capitals. (default lower case)
-cglist string
Set of characters to make random code groups. (default "a-z0-9.,?/=")
-cgmax int
Maximum # characters in a code group >= cgmin.
-cgmin int
Minimum # of characters in a code group.
-codeGroups
Random code groups from cglist characters.
-delimiter string
Output an inter-word delimiter string. A ^ separates delimiters e.g. ^abc^123.
A blank field e.g. aa^ ^bb, is valid to NOT get a delimiter. (default "").
-header string
string copied verbatim to head of output
-in string
Input text file name (including extension).
-inlist string
Set of characters to define an input word. (default "A-Za-z")
-len int
Length characters in an output line (max 500). (default 80)
-max int
Maximum # characters in a word (or code group) >= min. (default 5)
-min int
Minimum # of characters in a word (or code group). (default 5)
-mixedMode int
mixedMode X, If X ge 1 & le 20, a code group will print every X words.
-num int
Number of words (or code groups) to output. Min 1, max 10000.
(default 100)
-opt string
specify an options file name to replace options.cwpt
-out string
Output file name.
-prefix int
The max number of prefix characters to prepend to words.
-prelist string
Characters to insert before a word. prefix X, sets the quantity.
If it includes a single quote, it must be backslashed.
(default "0-9,.?/=")
-prosign string
ProSign file name. 1-4 TWO letter ProSigns per line.
No space in between, as in " ".
is the only 3 letter ProSign.
-random
If prefix/suffix is used, will determine if either is used on a
word-by-word basis. (default false)
-repeat int
Number of times to repeat word sequentially. (1-5 times) (default 1)
-skip int
Number of the first unique words in the input to skip. Max 5000
-suffix int
The max number of suffix characters to append to words.
-suflist string
Characters to append to a word. suffix X, sets the quantity.
If it includes a single quote, it must be backslashed.
(default "0-9,.?/=")
-unique
Each output word is sent only once (num option quantity may be reduced).
(default false)
-version
Display version information. (default false)
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ vi inputfile
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ cwpt2 -in=inputfile
bash: cwpt2: command not found
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ ./cwpt2 -in=inputfile
input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input input pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $

The actual content of the inputfile is created with vi as shown:

pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ cat inputfile
input of raw textfile for testing cwpt2 written by wa2nfn Bill
date febuary 1 2020. end of file.

:

Posted: 2020-02-02 02:56
Nice - so the raspberry pi version works!

I use a dictionary list of words for an inputfile, or download a project gutenberg book, becuase my typing speed is about that of my morse ;-((

You can see a lot of options, but 95% have defaults so you use only a few at a time usually.

The readme file has 20+ examples of combinations to create various different types of copy material to read into LCWO.

If anyone wants to try something without too much experimenting, just private email me with some info like:

words only
codeGroups only
mixture of both

what lesson of the 40 you are up to
if you want practice that has speed changes within the session

I'll make you an options file and after downloading the executable and in seconds you will see sample practice copy and will know enough to be able to play with options and easily discover more.

Bill

Shortly it will support Farnsworth/effective speed changes if desired.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $