Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (34)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: success stories

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-01-19 19:42
checking out website and was curious if anyone would share there success story of learning morse code using this website. thanks

Posted: 2020-01-19 21:50
Sometimes people say thank you on this web site, sometimes you read abt success of "alumni" on eham.net. Other people keep or start exercising here to obtain higher speeds or just because they are used to in their daily routine. Or may be they want to answer questions or give advice to learners.

Posted: 2020-01-21 10:31
test - Test user.

See my thread "Thank you at lesson 40".

Is there any chance you could change your identification to something else other than "test - Test user."? It makes it more engaging for us if there's some sort of identity to address our remarks to.

Posted: 2020-01-28 01:28
Well, I haven’t made it through all the lessons yet and only currently on 35. I still can’t copy code or transmit much yet but, I am much better than I was yesterday. So for me so far I’ve been successful. If I’m better tomorrow than today I will consider that a success as well.

Posted: 2020-02-19 11:50
Hello
I started in nov19 and got passed lesson 40 now. I set a few rules to me. Speed 20/5 and 2times more then 90% to proceed to the next level. And now I have done :-) I know its just a step but now start to send and I'm ready to speed up ...looking forward to my first QSO

thx for this great site

OE8FBF, Harry

Posted: 2020-02-19 13:54
Do not forget to close the gap by lowering 20 and increasing 5 to the final result of (I estimate) 9/9 Otherwise you are asking pse QRS, and the QSO partner goes down, but he transmits Morse code x/y with x=y

Posted: 2020-02-20 10:08
Well Done, Harald! That's quite an achievement.

And you should be an inspiration to those who are somewhere between lesson 1 and lesson 40 to keep going - it can be done, by ordinary guys and girls like us.

Posted: 2020-02-20 12:52
yes of course foggycoder...specialy by guys like me :-)) I made the training to my daily routine but i try to avoid stress. I am switching between the Kochmethode (Lessons) the morsemachine, wordtraining and training with my singlekey. This keeps my motivation high and avoid boredom. I know that the Lessons are only the first step...now I am working to speed up. To all who are in the lessons....keep going, keep going, keep going, ...its reachable
73 OE8FBF, Harry

Posted: 2020-02-20 23:14
Next month, it's a year ago, that I completed lesson 40. I have trained probably 20 minutes every day since, and I am now listening to english words at speed 22/22 with headphones on, every day, getting probably 80% of the words, and I train every other day my sending with different keys..., but:

I still can't copy a QSO on air.

I have logged maybe 30 QSO's, but have been helped by the decoder in my radio, without it, I doubt I would have logged even a single one of them..., so:

I still can't copy code on the air...

I still hope for the final breakthrough...
I do progress in my everyday training, and I get better and better. But copy code on air, still seems very difficult to me...

I don't worry too much about it, because I know I get better everyday. The reason may be the simple one, that I don't listen very often on air.
As CEO in a busy company, and with to small kids at home and weekends all booket, I do believe I do as much as possible right now.

Has this site helped me? Hell yes, I wouldn't be where I am now without it...

And of course, I can listen to a CQ call, and get the call after it has been sent like 20 times!

Posted: 2020-02-22 18:56
quadragenarian, here is what worked for me-I started out training twice a day (20 minutes before work, 20 minutes in the evening) with the Koch method until I got the letters and numbers down, then went to code groups. But like you I couldn't do anything on the air. So now I do 20 minutes before work with code groups, and then 20 minutes in the evening I try to copy QSO's on the radio. I don't work the contact, I just copy someone else's QSO to get used to on the air copy. It is definitely different, seems like people don't space their words.

Posted: 2020-02-23 08:43
...that is what i belief...many om's don't space words...or my ears are not able to hear that yet...anyway, I keep on going to copy CSO's on air and try to get better

OE8FBF, Harry

Posted: 2020-02-23 11:42
Thank you, both Richard and Harald, for your suggestions. And you are absolutely right. I'm also struggling in hearing the spaces between words. To me, many times, the whole conversation is by the OP typed out in one long string without pauses, or so it seems, in my ears at least.

My problem is the time involved. I say that I train 20min each day, but in reality it's more, because I do it when I can, but mostly when I'm heading somewhere in the car, where I can't do anything else (but driving). Sometimes listening to words is more like 30-40min, and then I add 20min of echo-training with my morsetrainer (Morserino-32) before I go to sleep. As long as I feel that I'm progressing, I'm not too worried.
I leave my post here, just so that other beginners know, that it is not just learning the characters, because that is the easy part, done in a few months...

So to thread-starter: This website is fantastic in getting you through the 40 characters. You don't need to look anywhere else. And in learning the characters, I have had 100% success with this website. BUT, that is not the final goal. At least not for me. Learning the characters is just your entry ticket for the next level of training.

Posted: 2020-02-23 14:09
for spacing I took the advice from the forum of doing word training (with minimum char speed) and is helping a lot!
Its also fun! (Im in lesson 21-ish)

Posted: 2020-02-25 06:39
OK..., talking about success in this thread... I had a day off yesterday, and decided to do one whole day of CW echo training with my Morserino-32, and you know what? I actually did it. Only making pauses for eating mid day, and to frequent the toilet.
I tried to push speed all day, and yesterday in the evening, I was decoding speed 30/30 using only my brain. Starting in the low 20’ies, I think that is success.
What really works for me, is setting the Morserino-32 for endless repetition of the same word. That’ll say I get that single word pounded and pounded until recognition. And I know it helps, because when that same word reappears, I recognise it the first time! And at the same time, I’m training both receive and sending... :P
The last thing I did before sleep, was setting the speed back to 22/22... WOW..., it’s all of a sudden SLOW... :)

I don’t know if it is recommendable doing so many hours of continued training, but it sure have worked wonders for me. And in stead of doing regular English words, I did CW abbreviations, prosigns, Q-codes, and other QSO related words. I hope this will bring me closer to copy real QSO’s on air without decoder....

Posted: 2020-02-25 21:01
I just finished learning the last char yeaterday. Been using morse machine (and an iphone app of that name too) for the last few letters and not lessons.

Today I was doing callsign training at 20/6 with few errors. I think I’ll be able to do paper copy 20/8 in a few days. Where do I go from here to get on the air? I tried reverting to 18wpm in morse
machine and I can’t understand much, 15wpm I copy nothing.

Posted: 2020-02-25 21:31

I closed the gap at 10/10.

Then gradually moved through 11/11, then 12/12 and so on...

Posted: 2020-02-26 08:08
yes thats it!! the lessons are the first step...to speed up is the next...and for me it is allways the same. At the beginning of a new task i copy nearly nothing :-) but the key is to keep on

--- . ---.. ..-. -... ..-. Harry

Posted: 2020-02-26 14:12
So you are saying I should now revert to 10wpm and start over? Doesn’t seem right as I’ll loose the melody and start counting...

Posted: 2020-02-26 22:36
Do not be afraid of qso, go on air at about 13 wpm, they will answer you and if someone answers you faster ask for QRS, if you continue quickly forget it.
In a QSO you don't have to copy everything 100%. I have learned very fast with this website and then with morserunner. In less than a year you are running contests without problem. A hug and 73

Posted: 2020-02-27 00:04
SQ5VCO:
So you are saying I should now revert to 10wpm and start over? Doesn’t seem right as I’ll loose the melody and start counting...

You may work up, using lesson 40 only, to 20/10.

After that you can narrow the cap to 13/13.
That is a regular speed for hams using a straight key.

Take a loook a the discussion on
https://lcwo.net/forum/1521

Posted: 2020-02-27 06:49
Pues Pedro, creo que lo que has logrado tú, no es típico. Yo estuve practicando cada día, más que un año ahora, y mis QSO’s, hasta ahora, han sido con el apoyo de un decoder de la radio.

Adam, you have already learned all the characters, so going down in character speed will make it harder to copy, but I don’t think you will begin counting. You will at some point need to practise QRS also. Else, you won’t be able to QSO with me on air... ;)

And forget about starting over with the lessons at 10/10. Train word training with full character, and random 5-group with full character set. Soon you will be at 20/20.

Posted: 2020-03-11 10:54
Hallo
I made my first QSO on CW!!!! it was horror pur :-) but the om had a lot of patience hihi
it might be a very small step but for me it was a milestone
73 OE8FBF Harry
Administrator

Posted: 2020-03-11 19:14
Congrats Harry. The first QSO is the hardest (like the first million :-). Keep going!

Fabian

Posted: 2020-03-11 19:25
tks dr fabian hihi....it was bretty hard for me but now I am recoverd and ready for the next QSO hihi
73 Harry OE8FBF

Posted: 2020-03-14 02:22
Congrats Harald...!

And you have encouraged me to go on air too... I went to my shack and had my very first CW QSO without using decoder tonight! Only my TS-120V, 8 watts of power into a dipole, and then a piece of paper and pencil...
It wasn't perfect, but it did work... :D

Posted: 2020-03-14 16:43
fb OZ1SPS I am using a decoder-software as a backup when I get lost during the reading. But whith every qso it is becomes better

73 OE8FBF

Posted: 2020-03-14 19:54
OK Harald... Then just a word of precaution to you from me... The eye gets easily drawn to that decoding screen... I was there. Logging CW QSO’s..., but I found myself looking more and more, and at the same time, listening less....!! That’s why I have now turned off my TS-890s with decoder, and turned on my old school TS-120V...
I could just turn off the decoder on the TS-890, but for me it’s just like having candy on the table, I can’t help reaching out.... ;)
More challenging now, but also more fun....
With my TS-120V, I can only ask for AGN? or QRS PSE...

Posted: 2020-04-03 22:44
I've had my first CW QSO today, wouldn't have happend if not for LCWO so thank you Fabian!
I've been training here since a year, having few months training streaks followed by few month breaks. But when I started the last one I knew it would end up with my first QSO and so it did.
At first I was doing 20/10 but around lesson 12 I dropped to 20/5. It was too frustrating and couldn't see any progress. I think that in the end the speed doesn't matter. Many generations before us learned the code in the "wrong way" starting with 5wpm and eventually got to >20wpm.
As long as you keep training you will get there and too high expectations can stop you entirely. It's better to get there in the bad, inefficient way than to stop all together.
Well, anyways. After lesson 27 I started training letters and numbers separately cause it was getting too boring and I figured that numbers are quite easy since you know when to expect them and they're quite logical. I also used morse code ninja once I got all the letters.
It would actually be nice if there was an option to have lessons in the same order as morse code ninja to combine both methods together.

Posted: 2020-04-04 12:05
That's great news, OH1BOR. It must be a great feeling.

I've been learning for 10 months now. I attempted my first CW QSO a week ago on 30m but, despite calling CQ for an hour, no-one answered (although I could hear plenty of fast operators out there).

I'm portable and QRP and my radio may only have been pushing out 1w, so that might have been the problem. Since then, I've been on Lock Down so haven't been able to get out for another try.

I'm tweaking the QCX radio to give 4w and have rigged an (inefficient) antenna here at my urban home, so I'll have another go soon. Fingers crossed.

Posted: 2020-04-05 02:08
OH1BOR: can you send me the order of characters for
morse ninja? If you do I'll add that to
cwpt2.exe, I already have LCWO, G4FON, ust
Learn Morse Code - so I can generate word
or code group practice for those by
lesson number.

Foggycoder: Have you tried calling and listening
on the "qrp" portions of the bands?

73 WA2NFN

Posted: 2020-04-05 18:32
foggycoder:

I'm tweaking the QCX radio to give 4w and have rigged an (inefficient) antenna here at my urban home, so I'll have another go soon. Fingers crossed.

Keep your Xtal frequency (the 26 MHz Xtal) just the same as the real value within 10 Hz.
Adjust the time indication within 2 seconds correct
Put your set on WSPR beacon.

Look after a few minutes at wsprnet.org database.
Fill in your call and you wil be amazed about the reports even with an inefficient antenna.

Compare the reported frquencies with your scale value in order to make further correction on the 26 MKz Xtal value.

However: They go down to -30 dB signal to noise ratio, and for a decent CW QSO you need at least -12 dB.

Posted: 2020-04-06 06:05
wa2nfn - Bill Send PM: here's the morse code ninja order:
T A E N O i S 1 4 R H D L 2 5 C U M W 3 6 ? F Y P G 7 9 / B V K J 8 0 X Q Z Period

Posted: 2020-04-06 14:41
nonagenarian - HH
That's a good idea. I've checked the User Manual and it seems complicated but do-able. I'll give it a go.

Thanks

Posted: 2020-04-06 17:20
OH1BOR et al

The MorseCodeNinja has been added as a valid entry for the tutor option in cwpt2.exe (of course the generated practice is played through LWCO's "Conver text to CW").

Also input files to the tool will now recognize the non-English characters found at the bottom of the "CW setting page" in LCWO. They are not yet integrated into other features of the tool.

WA2NFN

Posted: 2020-05-31 21:37
I greet everyone.
 I want to apologize in advance for my level of English. I write through translator .
 Today, I was finally able to make 100% accuracy in the exercise at a speed of 20/11. In a minute I got 60 characters right.
  It has been a long and difficult journey. I was not very successful. I spent 3 months 1-3 hours a day and I did several thousand exercises for a whole 40 characters course (maybe 10-12 thousand) but I have got this result.
 I still can’t take absolutely nothing on the air, but I'm so happy)
 I understand that this is only the beginning. And the most difficult will be ahead, but I am satisfied.
  I just want to share my joy with you.
Thanks for your support !

Posted: 2020-05-31 22:03
Excellent! IMHO the 20 is fine, slowly work to get the 11 moving up toward the eventual 20/20. Use all the various features and regular practice.

wa2nfn

Posted: 2020-05-31 23:08
My progress: I'm at 20/9. Lesson 14. 13 introduced the period. I set the program for variable length groups, which adds a challenge, but I'm still doing 95-100%. I jump a lesson every day or two days.

When I get to lesson 40, I will start increasing the speed and also working other exercises.

I appreciate the community here.

Ed, AE2Z

Posted: 2020-06-06 10:59
After 10 months of practice, yesterday I finally got my first CW QSO on the radio!

I was very nervous, so my sending and copying were awful - I can do much better than that. But I managed to exchange callsign, name, RST and QTH. I missed what he said about his rig and my battery was going flat so I had to break off then. But a QSO is a QSO.

I know from my experience sending morse over the internet that my nerves will go away with more exposure. But I do feel as if I've finally got there, so YIPPEE!

Posted: 2020-06-06 15:33
Nice going foggy. I think ur experience is shared by at least 70 % of us, its almost exactly what mine was 50 years ago (ahhh I'm old). I called the other opr OM a few times becasue I copied the handle as Neil - it was LaNeil - no wonder she kept repeating it LOL. Looking to have the feeling back after a very long hiatus.

Congrats
wa2nfn
Administrator

Posted: 2020-06-06 15:45
Congrats, foggycoder!

Fabian

Posted: 2020-06-06 22:33
wa2nfn:
Excellent! IMHO the 20 is fine, slowly work to get the 11 moving up toward the eventual 20/20. Use all the various features and regular practice.

wa2nfn

Thanks Bill.
Today is my anniversary. I study exactly three months ago and I celebrated it with a new achievement. I was able to take a minute without a mistake at a speed of 20/14. Then everything becomes easier.

Posted: 2020-06-09 20:41
foggycoder:
After 10 months of practice, yesterday I finally got my first CW QSO on the radio!

Congrats foggycoder...!

Posted: 2020-06-09 20:52
Another one to the success-thread...:

The 18th of May, I made my first QSO using a straight key! And today I received the physical QSL-card from DJ0MEW !! I'm no collector of QSL cards at all, but this one will be on my wall from now on!

I have been doing on air CW QSO's since June 2019, but all of them with paddle and keyer, thinking I would never be able to manage a QSO with a straight key. I'm totally tonedeaf, but having listened to code everyday for the last year and a half, have apparantly made me able to hear when my own sent code, is OK and readable...
Now I find myself sending only with straight key, and have logged a total of 16 straight key QSO's so far - I'm hooked - :D

Posted: 2020-06-10 06:10
LCWO.NET is certainly my Morse/CW Guru. I had tried installing many softwares on my PC for learning morse/CW, but ultimately it was this online tool which helped me learn it.

I started with the sessions some where in 2018 and then completed around 37 chracters by mid-2019. Then there was a job change and I kind of forgot about the whole thing.

VU land was (and is) locked down due to the COVID-19 virus threat and I had work out of my home. Used this time to complete the remaining three characters as well.

A month back, I made my first DX QSO on CW. Then on my strike rate is a humble 4 to 5 CW QSOs a week. I am now also practising on plain text receiving, and call sign receiving.

For call signs I started off with a speed of 14 wpm slowly increasing it to 20wpm. For plain text I started with 12 wpm, and now okay with 14 wpm.

I too send CW on a simple straight key, and CW is becoming addictive. Thank you to LCWO.NET.
Administrator

Posted: 2020-06-11 19:59
vu3byd: Thanks for the nice feedback, and good luck with CW!

SQ5VCO: Thanks for the nice QSO on today on 40m. Always great to work someone who learned CW on this site :-D

Posted: 2020-06-23 09:16
Hello
After a long period of practice (i feel so ...) i reached a new step on the stair to morse code. I took 3,5 month to pass through the 40 lessons with 5/20. During this i typed the letters on the keyboard. By trying to close the gap between wordspeed and effectiv speed I realiced that I stuck with my reading when I type it on the keyboard. So I worked through the lessons with 8/16 by writing down with the pen. It was a hard work but the letters came quicker in my head. After that I increased the effectiv speed, and today I got 13/16. This is not very high, but it works fine on real radio. The next step is to improve my sending, because I have currently problems with DITS in series like "s" "h" "4" "6" and of course "5". But it is so mutch fun to communicate in cw ....the succsess is unstoppable ...hi hi
73, OE8FBF Harry

Posted: 2020-06-23 17:56
congrats, and welcome to the club.

Posted: 2020-07-11 21:00
Yesterday I had a QSO in CW to Färöer Island on 10m.

Posted: 2020-07-12 22:16
10 is often open these days

Posted: 2020-07-19 09:31
It is one year to the day that I started learning morse code. To my mind, that counts as a success in so far as Persistence is one of the key elements of learning morse.

Of course, I do get disheartened and frustrated from time to time (the reasons would be for another thread). But the discipline of my daily practice has become a part of my life now - morse code is strangely addictive!

I post this for the benefit of anyone in the early days, who might feel that a few months is a long time. It is a long time when you look forwards; but a short time when you look back. You just put one foot in front of the other, and then the other, and then the other - and that's how you walk a thousand miles.

Posted: 2020-11-04 14:09
Hallo
Now the first year of CW learning is done, and CW became the prevered operating mode for me on the real bands. I reached the speed of 17wpm in correct reading and thats realy fine on the radio. For all who are currently on the way to become an CW operator: keep practice, keep your discipline and enjoy this great hobby.
Many thanks to the webpage team and all who had so much patience with my sending :-)))

73. OE8FBF, Harry

Posted: 2020-11-08 15:19
Hello Harry, when you mean 17wpm, it's 20/17 or 17/17 ?

Posted: 2020-11-09 09:23
Hello....ist is 20/17 here in the 5Groups...sometimes I check the speed on real radio qsos with the decoder and 17 wpm is fine to read. I think the exakt nummer isn't relevant. It is a great moment when you are able to read most of the sending stations.

Posted: 2020-11-09 15:21
OK, did you learn directly at 20/17 ? I've got lot of issues to go above 20/8 in my case...

Posted: 2020-11-09 19:17
hello...
no..I startet with 20/7 and did alle the lessons. Then I practiced to fill the gap by lowering the letterspeed and rising the effectiv Speed. When I reached 13/13 I switched to 20/13 and now I am working to get the 20/20. This sounds maybe a little bit cracy but it was the best way for me. The reason for this was that I wanted to be QRV on the real bands. Whith a few QSOs every day my motivation is still on a high level :-)

73,OE8FBF, Harry

Posted: 2020-11-09 21:21
Nice idea indeed, I'll stick to 20/8 if I can and then do something like that. I've a brand new QCX+ which is waiting to TX and a J-38 on the way to restore.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.