Polski PortuguÍs
Rom‚nă Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย TŁrkÁe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (11)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Starting to believe I going to make it...

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-01-11 20:50
I joined this site almost 2 years ago. I've made several pushes to learn CW, each time tailing off with months of no practice. When I did practice I often dabbled, not counting my % accuracy or using a strict trigger to move up a lesson.

I've started doing 10-15mins practice a day at 25/3 wpm in 2min blocks, writing by hand. If I am 90% accurate for 4 blocks then I move up a lesson. (I dropped the effective speed a bit more to push through and finally learn all 40 characters). If I get stuck on another character Iíll have to practice twice daily and push through to 40. Hoping to make it by February.

I realise that getting to lesson 40 with an effective speed of 3 is just the beginning of learning CW. Even so, the excitement/belief is really starting to build that I will actually accomplish this!

I would love to be able to operate in CW QRP & portable and then get involved in SOTA activations.

Thank you for this site and also for the helpful advice in the forum.

Posted: 2020-01-12 11:06
Andy - it's a wonderful feeling when you know that, whatever happens, you will get to lesson 40. It is your mind adopting a positive attitude. And with a positive attitude, you will succeed!

You are correct to say that getting to lesson 40 is just the beginning. But it's an important beginning. We need these successes to sustain us when the going gets tough.

Let us all know when you get to lesson 40 so we can share your achievement.

Posted: 2020-01-12 23:39
nice motivational post! I stopped trying a while back (SOTA was my target too).
I didnt commit...

Whats your age? I sometimes feel my brain is stiff... (38 years young..)

Posted: 2020-01-13 19:50
Thanks foggycoder. I'll post when I make it to 40.
I read your earlier thread actually, very inspirational. 3x 30mins per day is dedication! Goes to show you get out what you put in.

Daemonix- keep going! Ignore the doubts that you are disadvantaged. Your brain is incredibly plastic just like everyone else's! Mnemonists, who learn to memorise long strings of numbers etc., are not genetically special/gifted they just train hard and effectively. I'm saying this to encourage myself too :D

I'm 35. The reason it's taken me so long is because I keep slacking off with the practice or not practicing deliberately.
I've decided if others can do it then so can I and the only person stopping me is myself.

Posted: 2020-01-13 21:10
Hi.

I have been training a whole year and 13 days now, and have been practising almost everyday, and at least 15min a day, and some days it has been more like one hour+
Its only most recently, that I have been able to add speed. I'm training english words right now at speed 24/24 on my Morserino-32.
Actually I will recommend this little product, the Morserino-32, made by Willy Kraml - OE1WKL. Put it in ECHO mode, and it will send you text, that you will have to send back in correct form and speed. I use it in bed, when my wife is asleep. With earbuds, and a little Palm keyer, I can do half an hour before I fall asleep myself. Very useful indeed, and a fun kit to assemble also. With OLED display. Check it out...

Posted: 2020-01-15 10:53
I too can endorse the Morserino-32. Yes, it is expensive. But it is a "Swiss Army Knife" for learning morse:
** Excellent capacitive touch paddles;
** Good morse decode (plug it into your computer, go to a WebSDR site, and get it to decode the fast morse on 40m!);
** You can use the morse decode to see how good your sending is too - this is how I got started with sending;
** Use it as an electronic keyer (you can plug in your own paddle - you don't have to use the capacitive touch keys). I use a paddle in Ultimatic mode so this has been very useful when doing morse-over-internet;
** it also does Koch lessons and Echo training but I haven't used those so I can't comment on them.

Only a little simple soldering is required and Willy's instructions for this are excellent.

As Sebastian says, it is very portable. Just plug some earbuds in and you can practise copying and sending morse anywhere, any time. So no more excuses!

Posted: 2020-01-15 12:02
Very cool, thanks for the recommendation guys.

Posted: 2020-01-15 16:52
foggycoder:

** it also does Koch lessons and Echo training but I haven't used those so I can't comment on them.

How funny..., I almost only use the ECHO mode.
You can sit in a dark room, or simply close your eyes, and listen to the code the Morserino sends you, and then send it back. If you do it correct, the Morserino sends you a new string of letters/words/numbers or whatever you set it up to.
I have set mine to unlimited tries, so if I don't get it right, it simply keeps on sending the same word over and over. This way my brain is forced to remember. This is especially good with words.

Posted: 2020-01-16 13:41
Sebastian, following your comment above, I've had a quick go with Echo mode. It's certainly very entertaining!

My observations are:
** I can copy single words on Echo mode at 17 wpm but I can only copy continuous text at 10 wpm. The repeats give you an unrealistically long time to process the decode.
** For short words (two or three letters), I can just repeat back the sound without understanding what the word was or what I sent.
** Morserino can be very unforgiving of sloppy sending. This is both a good thing, and a source of frustration when you've decoded the word correctly. But then I guess that's half the point of Echo mode.

I'd be the first to admit that there is a mis-match between my sending ability (at 17 wpm) and my copying ability (at only 10 wpm). I'm working on getting my reading speed up (and Echo mode might be another tool to assist that). And later I will have to learn to send at my reading speed.

So, both interesting and entertaining. I'll probably be using Echo mode as part of my training programme, but I wouldn't want to lean on it too much.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $