Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (19)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Tranmission Practice: morse-over-internet

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2019-12-06 18:58
I'd like to recommend morse-over-internet as a means of practising sending, and for getting over those initial QSO nerves.

I've been using software called CW Com. It's available on
https://morsepower.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

I've been using it with PC/Windows 10, but it also works with Linux and Mac, apparently.

You do need an adapter cable to connect your paddle/keyer to the software over USB. The instructions are on the website but basically its a USB-to-serial cable, a DB9 socket, and then an audio cable to your keyer. If you use a DB9 breakout socket (as I have), there's no soldering).
If you have a straight key, there are instructions for connecting it to your PC via a spare computer mouse (I've tried that and it works fine too).

The site is not particularly busy but there are 1000 channels to QSY to anyway.

The best thing is the on-screen de-code, which is rock solid. It doesn't matter what speed the other guy is sending, just read from the screen. My own morse is very slow but I've had successful QSOs with guys running at 25wpm.

My sending is diabolical (especially with my nerves, which are annoying but those will go away with time) but the guys on there seem very welcoming and tolerant of mistakes.

This isn't the airwaves so you don't need to use a valid callsign. I haven't got a license (yet) anyway so I've just made up a callsign - if you see M9RSS on there, that'll be me.

It's a half-way house between LCWO and the real airwaves. I would say it's worth a try once you've passed lesson 40.

Posted: 2019-12-06 20:10
I have planned to use cw over internet, because it is a good exercise opportunity. I have not built up a fixed shortwave station. I do amateur radio with my portable equipment only. So I need some cw training between my hiking excursions.
On shortwave most traffic is still too fast for me, and if I find a qrs signal, it is often too weak.
I hope cwoi is a useful part of the bridge between learning and using cw.
Cwoi requires a clean sinus signal. unfortunately my keyer makes a raw rectangular wave, nice to hear, but not useful in this context. So I designed a sinus audio oscillator. As soon as I find spare time, I will solder some parts together.
I hope to hear you then. 73 Jo

Posted: 2019-12-07 09:48
Okay, Jo. I'll look out for you.

One of the advantages of m-o-i I forgot to mention is that it's not subject to the vagaries of propogation - schedule a time and a channel for a QSO with a buddy and it will happen. Doesn't matter whether he's just down the street or on the other side of the world.

I'd be happy to QSO with anyone from LCWO no matter how slow you read/send, no matter how many errors you make. PM me if you'd like to try a m-o-i QSO.

Posted: 2019-12-08 21:22
It is one of the joys of CW to decode CW on a real band with real QRM.

I listen a lot to CW ebooks without QRM and find that quite boring. CW with QSB and QRM is much more lively.

Posted: 2019-12-09 09:15
I am not suggesting that morse-over-internet is a substitute for real world CW, although for some people it is - it saves them the expense of a rig, or they can operate from home where they can't put up an antenna (in much the same way as Digital Voice). Personally, I'm looking forward to the challenge and joys of real world CW, but I'm not quite there yet with my speed and accuracy.

I'm a big fan of LCWO for learning to read morse code and I'm using m-o-i as a complementary learning tool for sending.

I don't know yet whether I'll continue to use m-o-i after I'm on air. It could just be another one of several modes I might use, like JS8, Digital Voice or CW.

Posted: 2019-12-09 12:07
df9ts:
It is one of the joys of CW to decode CW on a real band with real QRM. ... CW with QSB and QRM is much more lively.

Dr om, I agree, but thats another topic. IF your sending and receiving speed is high enough, and you have enough time available, and you have stn at your home and the qrm there is not too high: THEN real radio traffic is the better way.

Back to the main topic of this thread:
Cwoi can be very useful for quite a lot of reasons, and I will giv a few examples. cwoi makes sense, if you need training in live traffic and find partners with the same interests more easily on the internet channels than on the bands, or if you dont have yet a stn built up, if you have not the possibility of building a proper antenna, or if you cant afford to buy or build and maintain a stn, if you have not the time available to do these things.

For some reasons, I have not built up a fixed stn, but I have a small portable equipment. The time, I can use it depends heavily on the weather conds and on my health condition. So the time, the little stn works is neither enough to learn cw sufficiently, nor to maintain my cw fitness, when I will have reached my desired skill level. Cwoi will be a building block for learning and for training.

73 55 jo oe6jbg

Posted: 2020-01-19 23:11
thank you foggycoder for letting us know about cwcom. I just set it up today and it worked very well. Had two nice chats via cw. It's definitely a good way to proctice for all the people out there without a proper station, or - like me - even without a licence.
73 Harald

Posted: 2020-01-21 10:26
I'm glad you've found it useful, Harald.

As you can tell from my previous posts, I've found morse-over-internet to be a really good way to exercise my morse code before I brave the airways. As a result, my sending is coming on quickly. And I think it's had a beneficial impact on my copying too but that's harder to assess as I'm doing a couple of other copying practices.

Interestingly, I was very nervous when I first went on morse-over-internet. This affected my sending and was very tiring. I'm not normally a nervous person but I understand that this is a common experience when first transmitting in public. I'm glad to say that my nerves have now largely gone, which will stand me in good stead when I start on the airwaves. I must be more relaxed because I was chatting with a guy on there yesterday for an hour and felt fine afterwards!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $