Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (29)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Inviting other users?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2019-11-28 16:48
There is a handful of persons using this forum.
Is there anything we can do as a group to attract other users?

Posted: 2019-11-28 20:05
BrucerDucer1:
There is a handful of persons using this forum.
Is there anything we can do as a group to attract other users?

Yes, I think so.
Lets learn cw online, and show, how we enjoy our success.

73 55 jo

Posted: 2019-11-29 00:43
y r q l ? , k z f j .
q / d g c y q 9 M .
g , k r l g , z d I f .
y L ? e q p / v 5 f .
g y f r k j u q 5 .

Posted: 2019-11-29 06:20
Bring up interesting topics.

Posted: 2019-11-29 12:34
ID:
Bring up interesting topics.

Yes, thats a good proposal.

I want to add:
Lets discuss these topics in a friendly, helpful and understandable way.

Posted: 2019-11-30 02:30
I have come to the conclusion that LCWO.net is the best available study website. That may not help in attracting people, because it is only a personal opinion. Mentoring visitors by intention as a collective effort should suffice. As I see it, the way that people are encouraged to "feel" when they visit is essential. Can the subject base for discussion be enlarged? Is it only to be about sending and copying code?

Posted: 2019-11-30 21:20
There is a small number of long term regular posters on this forum, and a few people who post for a month or two every so often.

Students tend to stop reading here when they reach their target ( either original or modified ) and disappear.

The same topics and the same advise are handed out a couple of times a year, as the older topics run out of steam and vanish down the listing, so it's not a very long term sort of forum and the lcwo private forms may be better for this sort of traffic . .

There is no FAQ at lcwo, so no list of most common advise, though most people have read N0HFF "The Art and Skill of Radio-Telegraphy" and have heard about avoiding in dit dah and slow speed characters.

A ( IMNSHO ) helpful function of this forum is to encourage the more normal cw student who is finding it not as easy as he/she hoped and is having to work at it, wondering if they will never make it.

The drop out rate at learming morse is undetermined, but 90% plus overall seems to be a commonly held opinion.

I hope it's a lot less on this web site, at least I hope no one gives up because they can't get to 25wpm.

I hold the opinion that morse will only survive ( outside Russia and China anyway ) if the lower speed operators aren't discouraged.

I also thing that the student's hearing is the greatest factor stopping a very high proportion of the people who are proceeding at a slower rate - if you can't hear it easily, you can't learn it easily either.

Lots of people seem to disagree with me, but if you got to 25wpm in a month or less then I expect you have little in common with the ordinary student, looking at a months to years . .

I include the performance of your hearing at different frequencies here, and advise you to try moving your audio even a few 100 Hz and see if it makes a difference.

Some of the faster operators don't seem to agree with this either . . .

cb

never give up

get some mp3 files on your cellphone and listen in odd moments

you'll crack it in the end

Posted: 2019-12-01 06:20
Broadly speaking, I would agree with Chris:

cb:

The same topics and the same advise are handed out a couple of times a year, as the older topics run out of steam and vanish down the listing, so it's not a very long term sort of forum and the lcwo private forms may be better for this sort of traffic . .

I'd say this is the main problem as the main forum tends to be very repetious (the archives are precious, however!)

Realistically, most of us, certainly myself, have little time at our disposal.

Time spent communicating here is time spent not practising, so the forum must be worth the trouble.

One of the problems we have encountered has been
trolling. As you may know, the forum was shut down for several months this year, I suspect to flush out the troublemakers.

I was one of the members who wrote Fabian asking him to reinstate the forum and he very kindly agreed, despite expressing reservations about its utility.

I should point out that I am personally disengaging from the forums I am a member of (such as Eham), apart from the groups.io forums which:

1. are heavily moderated (and therefore pleasant to use) and

2. very focused

Posted: 2019-12-01 18:01
cb:
I also thing that the student's hearing is the greatest factor stopping a very high proportion of the people who are proceeding at a slower rate - if you can't hear it easily, you can't learn it easily either.

Exactly this limiting belief ist stopping many poeple: They think, if they can not yet hear it easily, they will not learn it easily.

But this is not true.

True and helful is another belief: If you cannot hear it easily, you can learn to hear it.
There are just two different operations to learn: hearing and recognizing.

Unfortunately, there are not many poeple who know, how to learn hearing and how to teach hearing. Even most music teachers do not know. They prefer the easy way and tell the "gifted" children to use what they alrady can.

To learn hearing is not necessarily a difficult process, it can be easy, if you know, how this kind of learning works for you. But it is not simple like "listen, and you will hear", it is more complex. And it is shure too comlex, to be written down in a Posting like this.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.