Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (19)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Thank you at Lesson 40

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2019-10-31 09:36
After 3 & a half months, I've just completed lesson 40 (hooray!) and would like to say "thank you" to Fabian (for providing LCWO), to the forum contributors (for their wise words and encouragement), and to the guys in the "Who is online?" box (it's been good to know there are others out there struggling alongside me).

I'm currently taking a Foundation Course at my local radio club with the exam in early December. So hopefully I can make my first ever QSO by the Christmas holidays. In the meantime, my plan is:
1. Increase speed and accuracy
2. Add prosigns
3. Learn to send
4. Build my QCX radio and antenna
That should put me in a good position for that first contact.

Once again, thank you to everyone - I'm having a ball!

Posted: 2019-10-31 09:43
Congratulations and good luck!

You might find it worth your while checking out the CW Forum on Eham (or even becoming a member, it's a nice place to raise CW related topics).

Cheers,

ID

Posted: 2019-10-31 09:58
Thanks, ID. I'll have a look.
Administrator

Posted: 2019-10-31 10:07
Congratulations - and see you on the air!

Fabian

Posted: 2019-11-02 20:21
Way to go foggycoder. Can you tell us what your training schedule was like?

Thanks

Posted: 2019-11-03 10:25
Thanks, dx398. Sure (I just typed some stuff here but it's disappeared so forgive me if this appears twice).

Half an hour after breakfast; half an hour before lunch; half an hour after lunch. Every day without exception. No excuses, no "morse code holidays" no matter what that voice inside my head tells me.

Each session I would start rusty, improve, peak, and then tail off. It was hard work and tiring.

One 90% might just be luck. So I had to have two consecutive 90's or only one

Posted: 2019-11-03 10:31
I'm having trouble posting (it won't accept my text) so I'll finish later.
Administrator

Posted: 2019-11-03 11:09
foggycoder: Sorry, my spam filters caught your post, I now re-adjusted the filter to let it through. I sent you the text that was eaten by the filter via PM.

Posted: 2019-11-03 11:34
Thanks, Fabian. Here's the rest of the message...

Posted: 2019-11-03 11:41
Nope, still not working. After I "submit" it says "Error: no text". I've tried typing and cut-and-paste.
Administrator

Posted: 2019-11-03 13:10
Trying to submit your text. I have to investigate which filter it triggers. Sorry for all the inconvenience (but there are so many spam bots that I have to have some filtering):

foggycoder:
Sure.

Half an hour after breakfast; half an hour before lunch; half an hour after lunch. After that my brain was useless. It was hard work, and tiring.
During each session I could feel myself start off poorly, then peak, then my performance would tail off.

Every day. No "morse code holidays". No excuses.

I tried Morse Machine and Word Training - good as entertainment but they didn't improve my rate of learning so I didn't waste my effort on them.

One score of 90% could be just luck. I had to have two 90's in a row or just one <90 in between. A brief "Yippee!", then back to square one on the next lesson. It didn't get any easier.

I didn't touch a key (to practice sending) - just reading random groups. It was strangely addictive, not boring at all.

I adjusted my speeds several times. I started out at the default of 20/10 but got nowhere. I tried 25/5 for a while but as the number of characters built up, I couldn't cope. So, I dropped down to 20/5 then later to 20/4, and finally (at lesson 38) down to 18/4.

The longest I got stuck on a character was 2 weeks (somewhere around lesson 15, I think). I didn't want to drop my speed but I was beginning to get frustrated and demoralised. I realised that I had to stop comparing myself to some image of an idealised operator otherwise I would give up. So I decided to accept my limitations and adjust my practice to whatever was needed to get over the line. I was determined not to be one of the 90% who give up - sexy speed would have to come later.

I'm happy with 18/4 as a speed at lesson 40. From listening to CW on the air, the 18 seems a speed that average amateurs work at - slow enough to be readable but fast enough to have the sound-pattern rhythm. I'm now working on improving that 4. As always, progress is slow - how many times have I said to myself "I'm almost there, just one more try and I'll do it!".

I consider myself a bit of a slow learner, but life has taught me that I get there in the end and can be quite proficient eventually. This self-knowledge has been helpful in maintaining my persistence. I don't find morse easy at all - my brain is disappointingly thick. But I know that if I just keep bashing away, I'll get there. And I'm not going to give up.

Hope that helps you. PM me if you want to stay in touch off-forum.
Administrator

Posted: 2019-11-03 13:13
Aha. First the "sexy" was the trigger for the spam filter, now the < sign was triggering the HTML detection. My apologies.

Posted: 2019-11-04 05:53
I've woken up at 4:30 in the morning with the answer to the problem and can't get back to sleep, so I thought I'd post it now. But you have spotted it before me!

My bad - I should have realised that using a "less than" symbol would trigger the html formatting. Thanks for making the effort to resolve this - another reason why LCWO is a good place to learn.

Posted: 2019-11-04 06:02
Per aspera ad astra!

Posted: 2019-11-04 10:10
:) That should be the motto of LCWO.

Posted: 2019-11-04 14:26
Thanks for that inspiring response foggycode. Finally, how long did you take to get to week 40

Posted: 2019-11-04 14:49
Three and a half months.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $