Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (31)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: A little question about Koch Training method

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2019-10-13 01:06
Hello.
Well, i'm here learning morse code with Koch Method, i'm on 10th lesson.
Frequently i have the problem of Recognising/Copying a character too late, so I miss one, losing all my progress.
In this case, I need to relisten the lesson's audio. Is this right? Or I should continue typing (and being confused trying to recognise one character when another is playing and another is coming... AAAh!)

Well, that's the question. Thanks.

Posted: 2019-10-13 23:30
Always go on copying, type a space or whatever. Omit thinking and trying to catch up.

Posted: 2019-10-14 12:20
I am having this trouble too and because of my career, I developed a habit of stopping to make corrections. For Morse Code, this is a very bad habit to develop. WHEN YOU MISS A CHARACTER MOVE ALONG TO THE NEXT. DO THIS EVEN IF YOU MISS A WHOLE WORD OR MORE.

When you begin to listen to Morse Code in a discussion you will be copying words mostly. It is easy to reconstruct missed words in a sentence. When you are live sending and receiving, both parties have the chance to ask for something to be repeated. It is better to ask for a word or two instead of a complete sentence or paragraph.

I am trying my best to break this bad habit of stopping and making corrections only to eventually lose my place completely. This habit I have is set into muscle memory since my brain does not think I need to stop and correct something. I just stop when I know an error is made. Sport of like pulling up to a red light, you don't think you need to stop you just stop.

Posted: 2019-10-14 16:22
Yes, it is quite a problem to learn it, but by the copy of codewords: Just take a space en copy the next character.

When you don't and try to catch up, you are missing a whole bunch of characters instead of only one.

Posted: 2019-10-14 20:02
Just keep practicing. I did at least 90% accuracy 10 times on each lesson before moving on to the next, not consecutively. Keep going. You will get it.

Posted: 2019-10-16 01:35
After a long break from LCWO I can start a lesson and zip right through it without an error or only one or two errors. The more I listen to lessons, one after another, the worse my copy gets.

If this is also happening to you I would bet it is because we have started to think too much about what we are hearing instead of reacting to the character we hear. When we hear code as characters and not as dits and dahs we are doing what we should be.

This is when I take a break from the lessons. It makes sense for me to have 20 spread out lesson sessions with good copy than 20 rapid lesson sessions with a lot of errors.

Our minds are strange at times and our minds will try to trick us into messing up if we let them. Always try to be very relaxed when listening to code. This is when you will copy it the best.

Posted: 2019-10-16 02:07
Thanks for the advices and tips.
I'll keep trying.

Posted: 2019-10-16 10:53
chinesecheese:
Thanks for the advices and tips.
I'll keep trying.

Great Chinesecheese, that is the attitude that will make you good at Morse Code. :-) I think everyone knows this, often will not admit it, and seldom admit they lack patience when they give up.

I can tell you the one thing that will guarantee success in learning Morse Code in a single word but I will use 2 instead. PATIENT PERSEVERANCE.

Without patience and dedication to see oneself succeed all of the suggestions anyone can give are meaningless. With those two things and the other great suggestions you read here the sky is the limit and only you will set how far you climb. :-)

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.