Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (16)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: What to do you think of 30/5

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2019-09-20 15:27
Hello all. I would like your opinions are starting with 30 character speed and 5 effective. This setting seems easy for me at the moment, at least with the first 4 koch characters. Question is when and what do I change as I progress. Should I do the 40 lessons at this setting then do another 40 at a another speed? Should I leave the character setting alone and only increase the effective? Thank You!!

Posted: 2019-09-20 19:07
My two cents is 5 is two slow, even to start. If you can hear a character at 30 or even 20, there is no reaso you need all that “think” time that 5 gives. In fact it can develop bad habits, like: counting, sub vocalizing, try to visually image what you heard etc. All these will be a detriment later and you might never over come them. Try at least 30/10 or even 30/13 even if you need more time to get the 90% copy. If you’re under pressure then your mind has to focus more and that’s good. All that said I’m sure some who really know the code well may give you better advice

Bill

Posted: 2019-09-24 20:17
As you go through the 40 lessons, don't forget to do the word and plain text training. I wish I had done them as I was going through the lessons. I probably would have learned the letters a lot quicker. At each of the 40 lessons I did 90% accuracy 10 non consecutive times before going on to the nest lesson. Again don't forget to do the word and plain text training. Callsign training is also good as it brings in letters and other characters the other lessons do not. Remember to start slow and gradually increase your speed. To start, work at the speed the course recommends.

Posted: 2019-09-25 04:51
I agree, variety is key. You might want to look at my forum posting for "cpwt" a tool to create MANY types of practice text that you can cut-and-paste into "Convert text to CW" in LCWO. or look at http://qsl.net/wa2nfn

Mail me direct if you have any questions or issues with it/
Bill

Posted: 2019-09-25 08:31
All the advice given here is very good.

I would, however, caution you against training at 30/5 for a very simple reason: most morse code on the bands is sent around 20-22 wpm or so.

By training from the beginning at 30wpm you may find it very difficult to understand morse sent at substantially lower speeds.

It is mainly the East-Europeans and Russian ops who send at 30-35 wpm.

Posted: 2019-09-25 10:45
Agree with ID
HH

Posted: 2019-09-25 17:30
oops I miss typed the name of my tool and posting - its cwpt (for cw practice text) it was a few options to work with ebook2cw as well.

Posted: 2019-10-03 22:05
ID:
It is mainly the East-Europeans and Russian ops who send at 30-35 wpm.

Does this imply the Russian and East-European ops are far better than the remainder of the world?

(Sorry to go off topic. I am seriously wondering about this.)

Posted: 2019-10-04 00:30
Yes

Posted: 2019-10-07 07:49
There is very much a culture of high-speed morse in Eastern Europe.

At the recent 16th High Speed Telegraphy Championship in Albena (Bulgaria 2019), this was the team medals ranking:

Belarus
Russia
Romania
Bulgaria
Hungary
Macedonia
Germany

Belarus has consistently scored 1st or near 1st for years. Some Western European countries like Germany, Switzerland and Italy participate regularly in these tournaments.

As far as I know, the US didn't even participate this time.

Posted: 2019-10-07 10:34
Has that got anything to do with the very many ex-military cold war telegraphists keeping their skills going in retirement? Or is it a wider cultural thing?

Posted: 2019-10-07 10:46
I doubt so.

Code requirement for an amateur license was kept until 2009 in Russia, I believe.

I think the main factor is that people in Russia and to a lesser degree Eastern Europe are not as well-off and morse is an easy and inexpensive way to communicate with simple equipment (no need for an amplifier to work SSB with band conditions like the ones we face now: with morse, QRP is just fine).

I think, frankly, the cultural attitudes are quite different: life remains hard in the former Soviet Union and people are just accustomed to hardship and effort.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $