Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (12)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: wpm in highscore

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2019-09-06 21:54
Hello everybody,
a maybe stupid question from a newbie: I am practicing for 6 weeks now and am now proudly mastering 7 wpm. Now I took a glance at the highscore list and spot users with more than 90% accuracy at 510 wpm. How can that be? If I adjust my cw parameters to this speed, I hear nothing but a crackle. Or am I quite wrong here?
Administrator

Posted: 2019-09-07 08:53
These entries are obviously not correct. By looking at the site source code you can easily see the text that is sent, so you can set the speed to a very high value, enter the correct text by looking at the source code and submit it.

I didn't try to prevent something like this on purpose because fighting against cheaters is a fight you cannot win, and LCWO is mainly a training website, not a competition.

There are annual HST competitions by the IARU, where people come together and test their skills under the eyes of a jury. There the world record in copying 5 letter groups is 300 letters per minute, i.e. 60 wpm, but this is real letters, not PARIS, so it comes out at approximately 360 cpm / 72 wpm PARIS.

See this website for a list of records, their history, and generally tons of interesting stuff about HST competitions (maintained by HB9CSA/DL4FDM):

http://highspeedtelegraphy.com/World-records/World-record-RX

Fabian

Posted: 2019-09-07 12:12
I played around a little bit yesterday to solve this mystery and thereby discovered also a second way of cheating. Of course cheating of others does not affect my own training effectiveness, but it takes the fun out of the high score lists, which - at least for myself - are in a way stimulating to take that extra training unit one more step faster.
But I see your point and indeed do appreciate your programming efforts in upgrading training features more than preventing some trolls from cheating.

By the way, I use lcwo on a daily basis since I discovered it about 6 weeks ago, so I would like to thank you most sincerely for your efforts with this very useful site.

Posted: 2019-09-07 15:01
As said, the high scores ranking is important. But use it relative, in order to stimulate companion exercisers of this website. Make contact with other active users via forum, or usergroups, or just person to person via personal mail - an optiom of this website.

I personally had advantage in my trial to recognise word patterns, by competing with nonagenarian on plain text exercises.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $