Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (26)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: A minor request from our esteemed administrator

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2019-03-12 05:59
Dear Fabian,

Would it be possible to have some of the punctuation marks which are not presented in the 40 lessons ( i.e. : ';"!() and so forth) as well as the major prosigns (when they don't overlap with punctuation marks) included in an additional Morse lesson (lesson 41?) and in Morse Machine?

One tends to encounter the punctuation marks when listening to text, albeit less, if at all, on the air.

Thank you for considering my request.
[deleted]

Posted: 2019-03-12 08:25
I'd find it useful to include prosigns in additional lessons.

Posted: 2019-03-12 17:46
Normally one lesson is one new character, you ask for at least 7 additional characters above the 41 learned in lesson 40.

Wondering what the code for the exclamation mark '!' is that you have in mind.

That will be 6 extra lessons not one. The next one with a super bright idea will ask for language dependent local known characters as there are in french, german and so on for swedish turkish and what have you.

That will be very very frustrating for starters that have already a frustrating look at 40 lessons to go.

So be wise, put the prosigns in CW abbreviations, and when you have the urge to exercise additional characters do it in custom code exercise, or on any other way.

HH
[deleted]

Posted: 2019-03-12 20:17
I can't see what the problem is: it will be additional lessons. If one doesn't want to do them, they're free not to do them. It's about choice: just because some people are not interested in prosigns and special characters, it doesn't mean nobody should do them.

Besides, it would only need a few lines of extra code to implement it.

Posted: 2019-03-12 22:14
What is the problem with:
Change CW setting,
select there one or more out of the set
! " ' ( ) + - : ;
@ À Ä Ç É È Ñ Ö Ü
and going to code groups
select there custom characters
and start your custom lesson with the selected characters?

With the entry "text to CW "
you can make exercise MP3 files with prosigns, by using angle brackets (smaller than and larger than signs; uppercase of comma and dot punctuations
like left anglebracket AR right angle bracket.
The angle brackets omit the letterspace.

Posted: 2019-03-12 23:59
Ottavio:
I can't see what the problem is: it will be additional lessons. If one doesn't want to do them, they're free not to do them. It's about choice: just because some people are not interested in prosigns and special characters, it doesn't mean nobody should do them.

The problem with extra lessons, one per additional character, will be that you are not able to select a subset at your choice of those characters, the last lesson will present them all.

Posted: 2019-03-20 11:58
As a total beginner (I'm on lesson 3) I can tell you it would be very daunting to see more than 40 lessons. Perhaps if you marked the additional lessons as optional that would work. As it is, I'm trying not to think too hard about the 27 lessons I have left to go. FWIW thanks to whoever is maintaining this site.

Posted: 2019-03-21 14:44
No; lessons that handle a..z and 0..9 / and ? are NOT optional.

You can make bundles of 5 characters, exercise them, and when mastering, mix them with previous mastered bundles of 5 characters. That reduces the task to 8 lessons.

When you are very daunting at lesson 3, you better stop right now in order to prevent wasting your time, better spent it on watching television or doing computer games, because you will never make it when already daunting at lesson 3.

Just not the right persevering character, that is needed to learn the code.

There are a lot of people visiting sport schools in order to compensate for sitting work and transporting by automobile and in leasure time watching TV.

You MAY look at lcwo as a sporting school to exercice perseverance.

Posted: 2019-04-14 15:41
ditkin suggested to mark the proposed 41+ lessons as optional, not the ones which are here already. I do not see the point of that, since for beginners, seeing 40 lessons or 50 lessons will not make a difference. People who started with 40 and suddenly see 50 will be impacted differently, I guess. But people starting will have nothing to compare it to and thus just accept it or stop trying. But that will happen with 40 lessons as well.

I don't see a problem with additional lessons neither though. If the argument against it is "why not do custom", then really, why not implement them in lessons? The lessons themselve are built ontop of each other, so mixing in new ones sounds like a reasonable extention. Just because we dont have them in the lessons already, does not mean they should not be in the lessons.
The one implementing them though has all the right to decide not to, cause after all, work is work.

And, why so discouraging. If someone experiences this task as daunting, then what about ... encouraging them instead? Especially if one assumes the reason is lack of perseverance?

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.