Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (12)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Why is my "real speed" double my "effective speed" setting?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2019-01-08 03:57
My brain doesn't do well with a setting any faster than 4 for an effective speed on this, my first pass through learning the characters.

However, my results consistently clock a "real speed" of about double that - 8 words per minute. Please see a screenshot here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qdu8G6QEg-TQ6dM_JAurOUY-Bees2URE

Can someone tell me why that is?

Posted: 2019-01-08 17:31
I guess it's this: The letter is sent with 20wpm, the break between the letters is as slow as it would be with 4wpm. In total, the speed is about the average between these numbers. If you send only "I" it should be exactly the average (since the I is as long as the break between characters). Am I right, Fabian?
Administrator

Posted: 2019-01-08 18:15
Yes, that's it. It's a bug in the CW generator which I have not fixed yet, because... well :-)

Fabian

Posted: 2019-01-12 23:15
Thanks very much for the clear answer, Jens and Fabian. Fabian, as bugs go, this one is very benign. Kudos to you for creating the best CW learning tool out there, IMOP :-)

Posted: 2019-01-13 19:01
What you call "real speed" is probably meant to be the number of words per minute in plain text.

Remember that most used characters have shorter code (less dots and dashes) like the E, so it turns out that the
plain text word PARIS including word space takes 50 dits. A dit is the shortest element. May be a space or a mark (dot)

Hence the number of words per minute plain text is 6/5 times the baudrate, and the baudrate is 1/td
with td = the time duration of the shortest signal elements (dits).

However when you do not use plain text but 5 character random code groups, the average codegroup of 5 characters
[a..z] is not 50 like paris but 62,5 dits. That is because E is not over-populated and the same probability of occurance like Q or O or Y.

The result is that the "real speed" op code groups is 4/5 of the plain text wpm, with the same baud rate.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $