Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (38)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Entering missed letters

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2019-01-06 19:43
Hi,

What do you guys enter for a missed letter?

I am just starting out (I'm on lesson 9), but have found I do better by writing down the letters on paper first, and then entering them to check my accuracy.

What should I enter when I miss a letter? I have been using the '?' sign which is ok, but I'm wondering when I get to the actual code for the '?' things might get mixed up.

If I do a space then it thinks that it is a new set.

Thanks.

Posted: 2019-01-06 20:21
In general advised is to enter a dot or hyphen punctuation.

Due to you learn code groups in the lessons, this habit was essential in interceptor telegraphy during WW2

NEVER EVER start thinking about what you missed, because you will miss a bunch of succeeding characters by recovering the missed one.

Nowadays you read plain text, when you jot down with a pencil this is a preferred method. Think about you could only decode Morse code with a type writer, and you have no one at hand...

So very good that you WRITE DOWN what you hear.

When a transmission stops, it is easy to fill in the missed characters, due to redundancy in plain text.

When you gain proficiency you will learn to listen to the code and decode t in your mind without writing or typing. Just like listening to a speaker, only writing down what you want to remember like names, telephone numbers and the like.

Posted: 2019-01-07 14:27
Thank you for the comments. I will use the '-' from now on. I just tried it and worked well.

I am trying very hard not to worry about missed letters, but sometimes my brain just gets stuck!

I am on lesson 10 now with about 90% accuracy. I'll get there in the end.

Thanks again.

Posted: 2019-01-07 17:53

Don't forget that you can try listening without writing anything down if you make up some mp3 files etc.

Testing your speed all the time can be a distraction - you really need to listen to lots of morse.

YMMV

cb

Posted: 2019-01-07 22:46
Thanks Chris. Yes, I am using many different sources to listen from. My radio, this site, and I have an MFJ Morse Tutor.
Trying to keep patient and not get frustrated is the hardest part for me, so trying to vary the way I am learning helps to keep it interesting!

Posted: 2019-01-08 00:29
g1zhn:
Thanks Chris. Yes, I am using many different sources to listen from. My radio, this site, and I have an MFJ Morse Tutor.
Trying to keep patient and not get frustrated is the hardest part for me, so trying to vary the way I am learning helps to keep it interesting!

Did you try joining SKCC ? Bound to be someone else local . .

cb

Posted: 2019-01-10 15:35
I enter an "X" for missed letters, but any unused or unlearned letter can fill in that spot. I really like 5 letter random groups for learning because you AREN'T filling in those missed letters after the fact

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.