Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (30)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Just starting with CW, are these setting ok for now?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-12-28 01:26
Character Speed (wpm): 20
Effective Speed (wpm): 2
Group length: 9

I've found that I can go at this pace tolerably. But I am concerned that I might mess myself up doing it this way.

My goal was to get through the whole alphabet + numbers then go back and put the setting to the defaults and go through again.

Does this all make sense?

73 de KC6SCD

Posted: 2018-12-28 20:22
KC6SCD:
Character Speed (wpm): 20
Effective Speed (wpm): 2
Group length: 9

At lot of people do exactly this sort of thing. .

It's MOST important to keep make progress - else you will give up in a few weeks.

Slow morse is fine if that's all you are going to manage,

see 6:50 min into this:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPwxgH-BE10&t=30s&ab_channel=burt2481

. . . but probably you will speed up as a result of practice and practise.

(Some of the) People who managed to get up to up to 25wpm in a couple of weeks or some similar performance will advise you that you are wasting time learning twice - once at a slow speed with the wrong timings and then again faster with the correct timings,
BUT
more people give up due to lack of progress than turn into fast operators - so you have to choose which advice to follow yourself

If you are aged over (say) 30 years then you might find things proceed a bit slower - but that doesn't take individual abilities into account either.

My advise FWIW is:-
Listen to LOTS of good quality morse without writing it all down.

Try to learn decode in your head instead of writing it all down ( - eventually you will probably just hear the letters/words rather than the morse )

Don't spend all your time testing your speed.

Don't type as you listen unless you are ALREADY a fast touch typist
- else you will learn morse->keyboard instead of morse->meaning and you WILL have to start again

Good luck. Let us know how you get on . ..

cb

Posted: 2018-12-29 01:14
The video was very helpful, ty

Posted: 2018-12-30 02:25
I'm right there with you. I learned em all and kept dropping the speed as I went. Now, 3 months later I got all 40 characters at only 25/6 speed.

Dori: "Just keep swimming"
"Just keep swimming!"
"JUST KEEP SWIMMING!"

Posted: 2019-01-01 16:56
Thanks all... trying not to get discouraged.

An article[1] I've read says, "In 2001 the 13 and 20 WPM requirements were dropped, and the 5 WPM test was standardized at 15 WPM character speed..." and I read that as 15 wpm for the character speed and 5 wpm overall. I ask because I am trying not to give up so I want to set the bar at what it was to get an extra ticket in 2001, as arbitrary as that sounds.

Using LCWO I've set the settings thusly[3]. I was hoping that if I can get through the whole thing at that speed I could get on the air and not be too much of a pain. Thoughts?

-------------------------------
[1] http://www.mtechnologies.com/wordpress/?p=27
[2] https://imgur.com/Ln9kaSV

Posted: 2019-01-06 19:13
The limit of 20/very low is that you need one lesson to learn the next character. That is another method of learning, that prevents that you learn 10 chracters 20/10 and stop due to frustration.

Logged in as test, known here as

Nanogenarian

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $