Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (29)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: training speed

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-12-04 15:00
Hi All,
I'm training at 23 cpm with 2wpm Effective Speed. do you think that is too slow? my plan is to increase the Effective Speed when I learn all of the letters.
KC3MBT

Posted: 2018-12-05 13:17
KC3MBT:
Hi All,
I'm training at 23 cpm with 2wpm Effective Speed. do you think that is too slow? my plan is to increase the Effective Speed when I learn all of the letters.

KC3MBT

You will get various advice . .

Mine is to go at as fast a speed as you can manage provided you are still making progress

or to put it another way

go as slow as you need to to still make progress

I think some people must allocate ( or expect ) a short period for learning morse
and then
give up if they don't succeed quickly enough - which is of course their choice - probably 90% give up at least once

If you aim for a faster progress than your ability to learn provides
you will soon find you are not actually making much progress at all

On lesson 5 you will still be finding out how well it's all sinking in, so try a bit faster and see what happens

good luck with it all anyway . .

cb

Posted: 2018-12-05 16:22
I agree with Chris. Too much time between characters will lead to bad habits which will likely slow you down later. From all I have read over many years you want to hear the character, immediately recognise it, and act on it (print it, write it, type it, or with head copy just append it the previous character); if you are leaving yourself extra cushion time you will conciously or unconciously do bad things i.e. count dits and dahs, repeat what you heard hoping for recognition, mentally scan the know sounds looking for a match (this is called a look up table) ANY of these will be a hinderance as you attempt to build speed. You want to feel a little under pressure to either write the character or put a short underscore to signify you missed it and go on.

IMHO a word speed less than 10 is giving your brain too much time, meaning you really don't have the character burned in yet.

Bill

P.S. sorry I had some typos which are now fixed

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.