Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (8)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Experienced operators: how did you learn SENDING out code?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-11-19 22:29
Maybe it's just me, but I just can't get my head around the fact that there are no tutorials on how to learn sending morse code. I mean, there are a few sending practice resources (the TX training page on this site being one), but nothing really giving an accurate and detailed step-by-step breakdown of instructions.

For example:

- What letters do you start with?
- Do you follow the same patters as you used when you learned how to decode?
- If it's true that one should learn to decode at relatively high speeds, so not to count dits and dahs, how can one not start counting again when beginning to transmit code?

I really hope I made myself clear. I posted the same question on other forums but nobody has really understood what I meant and maybe it's my fault.

Posted: 2018-11-20 16:39
Not at all your error.

In general learning to decode is the problem.
When you listen a lot to machine generated code, you know how it has to sound and you recognize anomalies in your own generated code with a straight key.

In the past you had the counting method, start very slow speed. ONEoneTWOoneTHREEoneONETWOTHREE is a character V. Capitals are key down, a ticking metronome was helpfull for pacing.

A good method to learn the rithm very slowly sending with a straight key.

When the speed increases somewhat above 5 wpm
you can sent synchronously with a known text with a machine generated text.

Because nowadays people often end up with paddles anyway they start learning with paddles. In that case there is an excellent way of learning Iambic B written in an article of K7QO

http://morse-rss-news.sourceforge.net/iambic.pdf

Posted: 2018-11-22 05:35
cwops.org has an academy course that includes some sending practice homework. I think they start with 3 letter words.

Posted: 2018-11-22 08:27
whegardt:
cwops.org has an academy course that includes some sending practice homework. I think they start with 3 letter words.

Thanks. Is the syllabus available for free?

Posted: 2018-11-23 09:00
For sending practice, try this:
1) Download fldigi and install it on a computer with a microphone.
2) Put fldigi in CW mode, and select the microphone as input.
3) Send practice phrases. There are many out there, but I'll put a few below.
4) Keep practicing until fldigi decodes you with no errors. If fldigi can understand you, any decent operator will find you a joy to work.

Practice Routine:
VVV VVV VVV DE URCALL URCALL URCALL =
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ =
THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG'S BACK. 8260719435 =
BENS BEST BENT WIRE/5 =
GE TNX FER CALL UR RST 599 5NN QTH URCITY, URSPC NAME URNAME HW CPY? DE URCALL
= + sk (dit dit)

Tips: You can send random words, abbreviations, punctuation, QSO phrases, prosigns, callsigns, anything really. Send from memory, don't send by reading something or looking at a cheat sheet. During a QSO it takes too long to write down what you're going to send before sending it, so don't practice that way. Learning to think on your feet is actually kind of difficult. Don't stare at fldigi while you send. Keep your eyes closed if you need to, only check your success rate at the end of the session. At first you may be pretty terrible at it. That's okay. Just keep plugging along.

ZUT es 73 de N2OW,
-Ryan

Posted: 2018-11-23 15:45
ryans - can you expand on step two ?
- - the second part - where is that setting ?

Posted: 2018-11-26 08:47
it's - configuration - audio - devices - capture.
- then set the freq for your key.
fldigi will have trouble in decoding you .. ..

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $