Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (16)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: difference between character speed and effective speed

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-11-11 19:12
hi!! I am new, in the first lesson it write: Character Speed = 20 wpm, Effective Speed = 10 wpm what is the differences between them? should I change the effective speed to 15, 20 or something else?
thanks!!!!

Posted: 2018-11-12 05:12
My understanding Is this is using the farnsworth method, meaning you set your character speed preferably in my opinion to at least 20 wpm so you are hearing the sound and not counting the dits and daws. But you increase the space in between each character to give you extra time to recall the character sent, and as you learn you will shorten the spacing and so on, Spacing between characters and the character speed combined is called effective speed. If I have it wrong I am sure some one will correct me and set both of us right.

Posted: 2018-11-12 13:34
Definitions depend on the website. The ARRL uses other definitions.

Here the 20 in 20/10 is the morse speed in words per minute plain text (words all PARIS) under condition that the spacing between the words and characters should be correct.

As you said, the spaces are longer, and the spaces in 20/10 are the character and word spaces that are used in Morse code of 10 wpm.

So the character speed is 20 and the spaces are doubled in length in 20/10 and even 4 times the standard in 20/5

To avoid pitfalls:
- Do the course in 20/5
- go to next lesson when you had only one time 90% correct
- when you reach lesson 9 start also with words,
keep them short in the beginning Adjust characterset to the set already known and wordlength 3 later 4 later 5 characters
- above lesson 15 exercise also with codegroups, adjusted to custom set, the set are preferably the last learned 5 characters.
- When you finish lesson 40 with 20/5 You have to narrow the time gap 20/5 to 9/9 That is the same time (throughput) for a message as 20/5 and is real morsecode.
- When you reach 9/9 doing this, stop lessons and go over to text training and word training.

The sky is the limit

Posted: 2018-11-12 17:08
Thank you for your answers,i will start the lessons, i only have one question; i try to change Effective Speed to 5 and the spaces between characters sounds longer than using 10, why is better to use 5 wpm if 10 are more quick (less spaces between characters)?
thanks!!!

Posted: 2018-11-13 00:43
When you use 20/10 your progress through the lessons is too slow. It takes too much exercises to get a 90 percent score, hence you got frustrated and quit prematurely. It is age dependent. So when you are 20 years old or younger , do it 20/10 when you are over 30 years old forget about it and do 20/5.

May be you distinguish K and M easily 20/10, but when you have to distinguish over 15 characters (lesson 14) you will understand why my advice is 20/5.

Advice is not valid when you are below 20 years old. Then you will learn a lot - ten times on the average - faster.

Posted: 2018-11-13 16:13
thanks a lot for your advice, i will do the lessons in 20/5. I am in session 2 it was very difficult to distinguish between U and K at 20/10; so 20/5 is the better option to learn as you said

Posted: 2019-01-29 10:32
Absolutely great post here. it has a lot of key elements that truly makes it work.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.