Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (9)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: giving cw?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-11-03 18:53
I have FT-2000 and RigExpert Standard when using LCWO. How can I practice my giving of CW? I have normal key and autom.key. How to use them?
Your advice will be very much appreciated.
Yours
Lid2

Posted: 2018-11-04 05:29
That is above my pay grade, I think you are asking how do you go about practicing sending code. I have a FT897 radio which I can set it to not transmit, then I will set my cell phone to record while I send out a practice QSO. Then I play it back the next day to see if I can copy what I sent. I will also send out several lines of code randomly from a writen page, so when I play back the recording I will not know already what is being sent. Does that make since, it may not but you get the drift. But you may be asking how to setup a key to a computer with a program to practice your sending. I know it is done but I am not familiar with that at all. Good Question, some one will chime in with the correct answer. --... ...--

Posted: 2018-11-04 09:10
I am not terribly sure how and if you could connect a straight key or a paddle to a computer and rely on a program such as Fldigi to decode sent code There are three ways to proceed I am aware of and use personally:

1. Just connect a small (10W) dummy load to your transceiver and practice sending into the dummy load. The downside of this approach is that you will get no feedback regarding the quality of the code sent and you won't know whether you are making mistakes or not.

2. Alternatively, what I would suggest is to get good a keyer (such as the K44 produced by K1el which is reasonably priced). This enables you to see what is sent without necessarily being connected to the transceiver. Then connect your "autom. key" (I assume you mean a paddle) and practice at whichever speed you want. This approach is especially helpful to correct one's spacing. Unfortunately, the K44 cannot decode CW sent with a key or a bug (you can connect them, but that's it).

3. If you want to splurge, go for the Begali CW Machine which can be connected to a computer, has its own training program and decodes code sent by normal keys, paddles and bugs. Unfortunately, it is no longer being produced as of a couple weeks ago, but you can still find them on the second-hand market (EBay, Eham, QRZ, etc). They sell very fast. As of two weeks ago, Radioworld in the UK still had a new one left (but we're talking 400 pounds!)

Posted: 2018-11-04 14:17
Additional to above good advice:

Look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNfiWmuqvGo

Better delay use of a paddle, there are more paddle modes: single paddle use of a dual, Iambic A and Iambic B.

One of the advantages of Morse code is that in case of some emergency you can use it by closing two contacts to make a sound or a light sign. Or just wistle.

When you are with your friend collecting groceries in a supermarket, and lost that the friend, some intelligent wistling is OK.

So try not to copy only by typing, probably you do not carry alwaays and everywhere your keyboard with you. Best choice is writing on paper and as soon as possible copy in your head.

However the art of Morse code has to compete with whatsapp and whathaveyou.

Big brother is not reading your messages with Morse code.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $