Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (8)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Learning at higher WPM and understanding lower WPM

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-10-20 20:02
Hi All,
If I learn Morse code at higher character speed(say 18 WPM) then will I have difficulty in understanding any signal that have lower character speed(say 8 WPM)?The reason I asked is because in our country(India) we have to pass a Morse code test at 8 WPM in order to get amature radio lisence, so if I learn Morse code at a higher WPM than 8 Wpm,then will I be able to clear the test? or do I need to learn Morse at 8 WPM itself so that I can pass the test and later learn at higher speed?

Thanks

Posted: 2018-10-21 01:04
Nice to meet you, Ajay. It could be an issue: the whole point of learning CW at speeds above 15wpm is to avoid counting (one learns to hear the sound of the character). In this way, it is easier to progress to higher speeds.
At 8wpm, you would probably have to count. I personally find recognising CW sent at those speeds quite tedious.
I think, overall, you are probably far better off not getting into the habit of counting even to pass an exam. Maybe test yourself at 8wpm a couple times to make sure you can pass the exam, but learn CW and focus your training at 18-20wpm.

Posted: 2018-10-21 11:13
This forum is really a treasure of advice, experience and knowledge.

Most questions are answered already a multiple times in the past.

In your case read lcwo.net/forum/1503

It learns you to start the course 20/5 and after finishing the course narrow the gap to 9/9
Do also (after finishing lesson 9) short word exercises in the word section of this website, limited to the already learned character subset.

Remember to learn somewhat faster final speed 9/9, in order to pass an exam at 8/8

Posted: 2018-10-30 18:19
Thanks ID and nonagenarian

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $