Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (37)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Do you ever need to take a break?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-10-09 16:03
I have been working nightly on LCWO for 5 or 6 weeks. I am on lesson 25, and finding myself growing tired of it. I have memorized all of the letters on send, pretty much got the numbers, but the special characters have killed me off in the listening area. I am struggling, and find myself slogging along at 60 to 70% max, trying to learn , and /.

I'm not enjoying myself. It's no longer "fun."

Should I take a break from LCWO, and just start listening to ARRL files, or something else? What did you do, if/when you ran into a wall, like this?

Posted: 2018-10-11 20:04
I ran into exactly the same thing, and I just cut my training down for a while. Sometimes you need a break from this, for sure! How long do you work on it each night? You could try this- in the morning, do a one-minute drill. At night, do a one-minute drill. Just one. Do this for a few days and see how you feel. It worked for me, and after a while I was back to doing more. There have been many days that I only did a single one-minute drill at night. I think it is much more about the long-term reinforcement of the sounds that correspond to the letters than it is about doing a lot at once. I just got my 20th CW contact on the air and I am starting to relax and enjoy the experience more.

Posted: 2018-10-13 05:00
Stay with LCWO but It is time to move onto words and plain text. Letters are the most difficult. Once these are a "reflex" or for a break, add simiplified call signs. You will find numbers are easy. In plain text you will learn to recognize , and . and figure out ' by context (i.e. don ?? t)

, . and ? will get you through 95% of your on air QSOs.

I also found I improved after taking days to even a week off occasionally.

Posted: 2018-10-13 17:16
Thanks

Posted: 2018-10-23 22:38
I refuse to force myself to study/practice. For me that will kill the fun and I will stop. Sure it takes me longer, but it is the way that works for me.

Good luck and I'll listen for you.
KG5GTE

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.