Polski PortuguÍs
Rom‚nă Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย TŁrkÁe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (10)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: How to improve effective speed as a beginner.

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-06-18 21:48
Hi,

Thank you for creating a great learning tool. Iím just starting to learn morse and I understand that itís best to try to learn to copy characters at a target speed of 20wpm. However, I have a question regarding the best way to increase the effective speed. I find it hard to use an effective speed of 10wpm just starting out.

Letís say I start lesson 1 with the effective speed set at 5wpm. I then increase that to 8 and then 10. However, when I go on to lesson 2, to get used to the new character, I go back to 5wpm to begin with, and then increase when comfortable. Is that a good way to do it?

Or, should I go through all the lessons first at 5wpm and then repeat them, slowly increasing the effective speed?

Thanks for your advice.

73s

John Ė W6KJL

Posted: 2018-06-19 19:55
Hello John
IMO it is better, to choose one comfortable speed an go through until lessen 40. It will get hard enough, when more and more letters are added.

While going on with the first lessens, do some variations. A speed of 20/5 is not a must and maybe for you 18/7 wpm or another combination would be the better choice. You will find out soon, then stick with it.

After finishing lessen 40 the next step is, to pick up speed by joining the numbers together until you manage 20/20.

73, Bernd

Posted: 2018-06-19 21:51
W6KJL:
Hi,

Thank you for creating a great learning tool. Iím just starting to learn morse and I understand that itís best to try to learn to copy characters at a target speed of 20wpm. However, I have a question regarding the best way to increase the effective speed. I find it hard to use an effective speed of 10wpm just starting out.

Letís say I start lesson 1 with the effective speed set at 5wpm. I then increase that to 8 and then 10. However, when I go on to lesson 2, to get used to the new character, I go back to 5wpm to begin with, and then increase when comfortable. Is that a good way to do it?

Or, should I go through all the lessons first at 5wpm and then repeat them, slowly increasing the effective speed?

Thanks for your advice.

73s

John Ė W6KJL

If you've been doing this for 5 days, and aren't almost through the course, then you probably aren't one of the people who get to 25wpm in 2 weeks.

So, be ready to spend some time learning this. . .

Lots of people give up when they find it's going to take a few months
- some because they don't want to spend that much time
- others because it just becomes boring not making much progress

There is lots of advise out there
but
what's good for someone else might not be good for you, so watch out !!

It's generally better to try 15wpm minimum character speed if you can manage it, because it will help you to hear each character as a single enitity.

If you DO have a high aptitude - you can wiz through learning it all at a good speed first pass . .

. . else you need to go as slow as you need to make sure you are making SOME progress.

Try to go too fast and you will give up.

My advise is always to listen to lots of good quality morse
e.g. music files on your cellphone - use queueing time
and not to do too much speed checking.

I also recommend that people not making much progress check a range of audio frequencies in case your ears work better at another frequency - BUT
my advise will probably only suit slower learners ( which is who this forum is for IMNSHO )

let us know how you get on anyway . . . I'm always interested in how people are doing.

good luck - enjoy

chris

Posted: 2018-06-20 05:11
Get through the alphabet at 17/5 or 20/5. I found puncuation and number were easy and I did them last. (Since I use an ipad and it is very slow to do one or more shifts for punc and numbers I stopped at lesson 19. I picked up the missing letters in code groups/letters, and numbers in code groups/figures).

When you really, really know each letter move to code groups, word groups, call signs, and plain text starting at 17-20/5. It is here you will work on getting the effective speed up. If you do not have a solid foundation of really knowing each character words and text is really hard to copy at any speed and you will waste a lot of time trying.

Posted: 2018-06-20 15:32
Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I'm determined to learn this and put in whatever effort is required. I just wanted to know the best way from the start rather than waste time getting frustrated.

Cheers!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $