Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (11)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: turning the corner

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2018-06-13 16:05
My first koch lesson was 2/2017, 16 months ago. I practiced almost daily except 3 month off last fall due to work. Learning code was hard for me, while good at advanced math and engineering it is hard to copy spoken 7 digit phone numbers, picture verbally spelled words, and remembering names. i.e. terrible short term memory and poor non visual retention.

Finally, over the past several months I can solid copy 17 wpm, it even feels like there is a large gap between characters, yes, effective speed is also 17 wpm. In hindsight here is what I learned.

1.) I spent too much time at a character speed of 10 wpm. Faster was frustrating because I couldn't decern the dot and dashes to figure out the character. To hear rhythms 15 wpm is the minimum character speed. Below this you are wasting time. Using a slower effective speed is fine, but learn the characters by sound, forget dots and dashes. To do this 17 wpm or over is required.

I polled the CW experts in my club and in forums and all agreed code below 13 wpm was hard to copy because the rhythm was gone and they had to revert to deciphering dots and dashes.

2.) I use an iPad and got good at hearing a character and hitting a key, the ear to finger connection was working. But I wasn't hearing letters in my brain, code was a jumble of dots and dashes. Once I started listening for letters and only then typing the letter I started hearing letters in place of dots and dashes.
3.) If I practiced too long or was having a bad code day it all sounded like mush. When I put it down and picked it up hours or a day later I was back to normal.
4.) During some exercises I used the repeat to listen to a word or phase over and over picking out the characters one by one. It made my stats better with higher speed and fewer errors but the progress graphs didn't reflect my real progress. Once I stopped repeating I could see the characters that needed more work and found the real effective rate I could copy at.
5.) "was that two or three dots?" If it matters you are trying to decode dits and dahs, and not the unique sound of a character. I took me a while to figure this out. Also once you focus on character sounds word sounds start appearing.
6.) Slow code QSOs are not beneficial. Between ARRL Field Day, being a "13 Colonies" op and other contests I made over 600 QSOs at around 10wpm. It reinforces counting. Getting on the air early is recommended, but I suggest waiting wait until your through the koch lessons at 17 wpm and can get 50% of the call signs without a repeat. Lately I have found if I send 20 wpm with a space between characters most answering station match it. If they don't at first after I send agn or ?? a few times they figure it out.

There will be days when it seems like you are going backwards but with perseverance and time it will all cross over from short term memory to reflex memory.

For me, I wish I had followed the advice here and from others and started my first koch lesson at a faster speed, I like 17 wpm. It would have taken longer to get through it but would have made word groups, call signs, etc much easier.

One size doesn't fit all, this is only my experience.

Posted: 2018-06-25 23:13
I made pretty much the same mistakes when I first learned CW. All of the advice I read says to learn at a high character speed with gaps then start to 'squeeze' the gaps.

I'm still not fast, by the way, but I think the trick is to learn the sound shapes and not decode the intermediate letter in your mind, like a child does when learning to read - ie "C-A-T is cat!" and try and form the words straight from the sounds, much as an adult would when reading.

Posted: 2018-06-29 20:41
I started with 25 wpm and it's not complicated for me to recognize the letters but I need a big pause between them (Farnsworth method; effective speed aroud 6-8 wpm) because I'm too slow in typing (not even tried to hand write).
I hope the spped will increase with the time practicing.

Posted: 2018-06-30 10:35
great tips! Though I philosofically agree that a minimum aroud 17 character speed is the ideal place to start. I had to resort to old school technique and count at 3-5 wpm, picture a chart etc. I knew I'd be unlearning it asap, but my brain would simply not let me cross the 8 letter barrier at 15 wpm. Happy to say that I am mosty 'shape' copying now at 20-30 char/5-10 effective wpm.

My advice so far: Try anything/everything...as often as possible. Keep coming back till the 'torture' becomes palatable and then actually fun.

Posted: 2018-07-10 04:12
These comments were really helpful to me and encouraged me to keep trying! Thanks for posting Hamilton.

Posted: 2018-07-10 18:20
Hamilton and all,
Thanks for the advice! I am currently working thru the morse machine exercises at 17 wpm char speed. After about 8 chearacters my effective speed has dropped to about 5 wpm but I intend to keep at it. Thanks for the encouragement!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $